TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

college tips - August 1st 2010, 05:31 PM

Any at all would be great time management stress management.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: college tips - August 1st 2010, 06:24 PM

If you get your organisation right, that will take care of your time management and that will take care of your stress levels.

1) Get a day-to-day diary, so one that has a page per day. Write down EVERY ASSIGNMENT on the day it is due, everything you are planning to do (ie, party, play a sport, meet up with your friends) and then you can see when you're going to have time to do that assignment.

E.g. On Monday you write in, "Essay on Oscar Wilde due August 6th at 4pm"
Hopefully you'll have written down everything else you are planning to do that week, so you can look at your diary and go
"Friday I have class all day"
"Thursday I'm in classes all day, then I want to play volleyball in the evening"
"Wednesday I have the afternoon free but am going to the the cinema in the evening"
"Tuesday I have class in the morning"

So then you can see that you need to do your essay on Tuesday afternoon and Tuesday evening, and can proof read it on Wednesday afternoon so that you've done it in your free time without having to compromise on anything else. I'd then write in my diary when I'm going to do the essay so I don't plan anything else to do.

2) Some due-dates are MONTHS away so I always have a year calander as well, and stick it on my wall, and write on when I have holidays and when there are important tests and due dates. That when you can plan when you're going to do your work on your day to day diary but know how much time you have left. It's not good when you thought you had two months to write a 5,000 word essay but then suddenly you have two days. Writing the test dates on makes you aware of how much time you have left to study for them, and I also write "study for organic chemistry test" in my day to day diary so that that is planned as well.

3) Keep all your notes organised! Have a different folder for each module you're studying, each a different colour so you can grab it quickly. Hole-punch any hand outs and put them into the folder as soon as you get home so that nothing gets lost and your folder is in the right order. I tend to write the date on my hand-outs and notes (top right hand corner) so that if anything gets muddled I can put things in the right order again. Get dividers and labels to keep your notes as organised as possible.

4) Skim material before class if you have a textbook or syllabus and know what's going to be covered. It helps you to listen more actively and retain more in long-term memory.

5) listen actively in class. pay attention to what's emphasised with tone, repetition etc. try to actively remember key points and remember information that's different, unusual, not intuitive. TAKE NOTES and HIGHLIGHT key points. I have lots of different coloured highlights and use them for different things, i.e. different subjects or depending on whether I need to look up what a certain word means/definition or need to defintley go over that area after class.

6) Study your class notes later the same day if possible. If not the same day then as soon as possible. 15 minutes spend reading, highlighting or recopying your notes when it's still fresh in short-term memory will be worth 2 hours spent reading it later on. This is the best advice I was ever given when studying for my A Levels and made my life A LOT easier. If you get home and re-write out your notes *IN FULL* in your own words, highlighting key areas, with your textbook open so you can add a few extra points in (will get you brownie points in exams) and make sure you're covering everything then revising this area later will be a lot easier.

7) Make time to study and set that time aside. Treat studying and schoolwork like a job. Schedule your work time and take the schedule seriously, don't squeeze it in at the last minute or late at night. Have a study area set aside with everything you need and minimal distractions. Turn off your phone while you study, and if you do not need to use the computer (ie, can hand write instead) do. If you do need to type up work then turn the internet off if possible.

8) Do not make the mistake of thinking that you only need to do the assignments. You don't. You need to be going over that days work and studying things that you learnt earlier in the term. This will massively reduce your work load and thus stress levels when it comes to your exams because you'll already have gone over everything again at least once.

9) Don't freak out if you get behind, but if you do, focus on keeping up with the current material before catching up with the missed material. So if you got off schedule for a couple of days do the catch up studying after you've covered the current day's material.

10) Don't be afraid to ask for help with a certain topic, everyone has their weak areas. Ask a friend or your lecturer to go over that area with you. DO NOT wait until right up until the day before the test to do this!

11) Try joining a study group and see if that helps you. Some people it does, others it doesn't. Personally I have always prefered working by myself in absolute silence but I have lots of friends who found it better to get together to work and then ask each other questions.

Hope that helps some!

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: college tips - August 2nd 2010, 05:42 AM

Stay organized! Maybe a planner? Don't procrastinate - as easy as it seems.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: college tips - August 2nd 2010, 12:37 PM

One of the biggest things I suggest is setting your priorities. You have to really do this and think about what you should and shouldn't be doing. Remember, this isn't High School where the teachers tell you WHAT to do and WHEN to do it. I also think setting time management like above would be an awesome thing to do as well.

Here's a url to alot of things different from HS and college: http://www.murraystate.edu/secsv/fye/hsvscollege.htm

Like the thing says..
You will be faced with many moral and ethical decisions you have not previously had to face. You must balance your responsibilites and set priorities.
  Send a message via AIM to Lightning Send a message via MSN to Lightning  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: college tips - August 2nd 2010, 01:14 PM

What happens if you are far too sick to attend class?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: college tips - August 2nd 2010, 03:45 PM

I would recommend scanning syllabi on to your computer so you have access to them instead of losing them if your professor does not have them online. I would also suggest getting involved in a physical activity.

Day planners never worked for me. I used them once or twice before forgetting them in the bottom of my bag. I would recommend a folder per class and just keep a notebook paper along with the syllabus in there so if there are assignments, write them on the paper.

I recommend going to classes and reading assignments beforehand. I already have the first four chapters of my EMT class knocked out. However, killer hours and hours on end study sessions don't help. I would recommend studying briefly though out the day and make sure to take frequent breaks.

As for being sick, I would attend class anyway. Chances of you being too sick to attend class are slim and if you are, then I would get a doctor's note. 95% of the people are usually well enough to go to class even though they may feel horrible.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: college tips - August 2nd 2010, 05:47 PM

When I asked about being sick I meant test wise and stuff; since, make-up tests are rarely an option and not only can you get others sick, but you are more likely to preform poorly if you try to do major tests ect ill.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: college tips - August 2nd 2010, 05:57 PM

Talk to your teachers/professors the very first day of class. Getting to know your teachers/professors can be IMMENSELY helpful when you're sick and have to deal with making up a test or missing assignments.

If you miss a test or class, how you make that test up and etc is usually decided individually by each teacher/professor. Also finding someone in the class who wants to do the "buddy system" can be helpful for missed days.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: college tips - August 2nd 2010, 06:08 PM

If you miss a test - what most of my teachers did was put the test in an office (here it was called the testing center) and give you until a certain time and date to make it up. Some teachers may ask for a doctors note before letting you take it.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: college tips - August 2nd 2010, 06:24 PM

In my school if you miss a test the next one counts double. Some professors may let you take it but you need a letter from your doctor, as for your time try getting a agenda and color code it for things you need to do.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: college tips - August 3rd 2010, 12:08 AM

So how would I get to the doctor then? I mean see I can't drive and my school doesn't have public transportation. Also, What kind of note would he/she give me? I mean if I am throwing up and stuff will they tell me well you have a virus and just write me a note?

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Allons-y! Offline
Don't blink.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: college tips - August 3rd 2010, 02:27 AM

Your campus should have some kind of health center. I'm sure if it's obvious you're sick, they'll have no problems writing you a note.

let me light up the sky, light it up for you
let me tell you why, i would die for you
When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.
9 out of every 10 problems in relationships can be solved by talking. So why are we so damn quiet?

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: college tips - August 3rd 2010, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love dogs View Post
So how would I get to the doctor then? I mean see I can't drive and my school doesn't have public transportation. Also, What kind of note would he/she give me? I mean if I am throwing up and stuff will they tell me well you have a virus and just write me a note?

Yes like the notes your parents wrote to school back when you were in elementary school
Most doctors will write a note that describes that you were treated on a date and time.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: college tips - August 4th 2010, 03:46 PM

If you have a legit illness (meaning doctor's note), then you can make up the test. A teacher is a jerk if they don't let you make up a test when you're really ill, but you have to have proof. You can come in looking and sounding like you're going to die, but without the doctor's note they still don't always let you retake stuff. As for getting to the doctor, I really can't help you there. I have a fantastic immune system, so that's not something I have to worry about.

With that in mind, I think your college tip should be, keep the syllabus. Teachers give them out the first day of class, and they contain teacher contact information, the class schedule (so you can tell if you're missing an important day or not), the grading scale, and the teacher's policies on absences, late work, and making up tests. You'll find it a useful tool.

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: college tips - August 4th 2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Any at all would be great time management stress management.
The major time/stress management issue for me is the huge projects and papers that aren't due until the end because you keep putting them off to prioritize the stuff that's due first. Start any major project or paper as soon as possible to avoid this and slowly chip away at it as you go, but realize that sometimes it may need to be put aside to study for a test or something. Also, get a planner so you can note the due dates for everything and test dates. Write far off due dates and all test dates in pencil so you can change them in case the test or project is moved as this often happens and you end up scribbling and re writing (I used post its and just moved them around).

Skim your reading assignments, there is no way you can possibly read everything word for word, focus on italiics bolded words etc. and anything that anyone else has happened to hilight, underline or write in your book.

Keep copies of all syllibi with you or in your room at all times so you can look at them and make sure you update them if due dates or assignments change.

I found it easier to print off copies of powerpoints that were posted online so I could just add to them and pay attention to the lecture instead of trying to keep up and write everything. (There is an option when you print Powerpoints to print them small. In the left hand corner of the print screen it will say pint: with a drop down menu that will say slides, select handouts and black and white to spare ink and paper)

Quote:
What happens if you are far too sick to attend class?
The first thing you should do is contact your professor(s) to let them know that you're sick and can't make it. They understand that you're human and will mostlikely tell you if you'll miss anything majorly important. Make sure to get the notes offline if they're posted or from a classmate

Quote:
When I asked about being sick I meant test wise and stuff; since, make-up tests are rarely an option and not only can you get others sick, but you are more likely to preform poorly if you try to do major tests ect ill.
If you contact them as soon as you realize you're sick and bring a doctors note they will let you make up the test at their convinience in the learning center or testing center. They might also let you come in when they're giving another class a test and take it then, or take it on a different day if they have more than one section of the same class taking the test.

Quote:
A note from the health center is the same as a doctors note as doctors work in the health center, obviously if you needed to go the the emergency room they would also give you a note. Also, professors realize that you're human so even if the procedures for test make ups and missing class seem strict, most of the time they aren't really followed as closely as it says on the syllabus. I always read them and it said "notify the prof immediately of your absence" or "no test make ups allowed if the prof isn't notified" and I was like "Well, what if you need emergency surgery or something and you can't notify them because you didn't know it was going to happen?" Eventually I realized that professors will understand this and will be simpathetic and the chances of it happening are slim so don't worry about it. Also, notify them ahead of time if you know you're going to miss class for some reason. You'll know the first class which professors will be hard liined about this stuff and which ones will go easy on you.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread