TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Red face BABYSITTING...Help. - August 4th 2010, 03:43 AM

Okay... IDK if this belongs here, but here's the deal-

I got my first babysitting gig for this Thursday! Yayy, but it's two boys, 7 and 8 who easily bore. I have NO idea what boys that age like. I REALLY want them to like me... I don't want to screw this up, but what do I do with them?! What do they like?! I'm kinda like really stressing over this. Haha... I just need some ideas! I mean, I'd be so stoked if it were girls, or like younger kids(they're easier to entertain in my mind) but IDK what to do with these kids. I'd be so thankful for any ideas.

You were created to love and be loved.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: BABYSITTING...Help. - August 4th 2010, 03:47 AM

Video games?

What time of the day are you babysitting? Can you talk them to a park?

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Daydreamer Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: BABYSITTING...Help. - August 4th 2010, 04:21 AM

Nurf gun wars, water balloon fights, set up some bases outside and let the boys hit while you try to get the "out", play catch, play tag, or even red light green light. Boys that age REALLY enjoy physical activities, especially if they bore easily (and the parents will appreciate it if you wear them out before bed Or if you ask the kids if they want to play outside and they say no (or if it's raining ) you can play cards (try many different games to keep it interesting, go fish, war, crazy eights, spit maybe you can even teach them a new one) play a board game, or ask them if they have any video games they like. Or if all else fails bring a movie as a LAST resort, I'm not a big fan of letting kids watch movies while I babysit but sometimes that's just the only thing that they want to do. I HIGHLY recommend How to Train Your Dragon. It WILL be a hit and you'll probably like it to Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you need anymore tips, I'm the eldest of five with two younger brothers, and I've been babysitting for almost six years

(#4 (permalink)) Old
xbatmanx37 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: BABYSITTING...Help. - August 4th 2010, 05:20 AM

I have done a lot of babysitting with all ages. You can ask the parents what there favorite activites are or you could ask them. Most children that age are very active and mosty likely will enjoy sports or different creative activities that stimulate them in some way. Children that age will probably also like video games, you could ask their parents if they have certain rules regarding TV watching or video games and if you need more advice, Im here.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Allons-y! Offline
Don't blink.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: BABYSITTING...Help. - August 4th 2010, 02:26 PM

Swimming if there's a nearby pool. Anything outside. Racing. Tag. Riding bikes/skateboards/scooters or rollerblading. Don't be afraid to ask the parents if you can all go somewhere--just being away from home is a great source of entertainment.

let me light up the sky, light it up for you
let me tell you why, i would die for you
When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.
9 out of every 10 problems in relationships can be solved by talking. So why are we so damn quiet?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: BABYSITTING...Help. - August 4th 2010, 02:34 PM

Well if you're babysitting from home you could just let them do whatever usually entertains them? They'll have all their toys, video games, movies etc.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: BABYSITTING...Help. - August 4th 2010, 03:38 PM

My only babysitting experience was with a girl, age 6 (I was her babysitter for a few years, so really from age 6 to age 8). But doesn't mean some of the same tricks won't work

Make sure you have fun stuff to do. Bring a bag full of stuff - children's books, games they're unlikely to have, coloring supplies, anything they can look at and have fun with. Some things will be a hit, other things will be boring - but have them look through the stuff and let you know, if they don't like something put it away and don't mention it for the rest of the visit, and don't bring it with you again. If something is a hit, you'll know, and then you can bring it again and other things like it.

When I brought stuff with me, the book "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" was a huge hit, as was "Alpha Bugs." For games, Pick Up Sticks was the favorite. Obviously favorites will differ between kids, but just trying to point you towards something in case you're stuck on ideas.

Also, let the kids choose activities. Often when babysitting we would play soccer and 4-square, watch TV, play library and bookstore, arts and crafts, and sometimes I would just watch her while she rode her bicycle around the neighborhood.

Just find out what they're interested in, and pretty much let them do whatever they want (within reason, of course). I mean, think about when you were a kid. Would you rather your parents be super strict, or would you rather they let you choose everything to do and just played along? We all know the way to a child's heart

My babysitting job was tough because the parents didn't believe in such things as bedtimes, and told me to let the kid stay up as long as she wanted. And she always wanted to stay up to wait for her parents to come home, even when it was like, 1 AM. And that was tough - so do yourself a favor, if the kids have a bedtime, make them stick with it.

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: BABYSITTING...Help. - August 4th 2010, 07:21 PM

I'm babysitting from like 9-5 and I can't really go anywhere(except for in the neighborhood... I don't drve) Thanks for all of the advice!

You were created to love and be loved.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Re: BABYSITTING...Help. - August 14th 2010, 05:08 PM

a bungee cord, chocolate and a big closet with video games are recomended :P JK yeah i suggest go for bikes rides, go to the park, lots of physical activities even a good old school game of hide and seek lol

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: BABYSITTING...Help. - August 14th 2010, 05:17 PM

Since 2 Thursday's have passed since she posted this, I'm going to go ahead and close it. If you'd like it reopened feel free to PM me, or just create a new thread.

Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

Closed Thread