TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Bigger isn't always better! - August 8th 2010, 06:08 PM

And it totally applies to backpacks too! With a new school year starting, I got a new purple backpack! I'm trying to not pack as much stuff to help save my back. Every year my backpack always feels too heavy! My goal this school year (at least one of them!) is to keep my back light, no more than 6 pounds.
So who else here plans to keep it light?
(More about backpack safety can be found here! )

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SonicFan Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Bigger isn't always better! - August 8th 2010, 06:13 PM

Which is 2.72kg for anyone wondering what the metric equivalent is

I don't know if it counts for work but all I usually take is a bottle of water and a couple of days lunch. I find it helps immensely if you have somewhere on site to store textbooks and the like such as a locker.

As usual follow the 7 P's : Perfect Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Bigger isn't always better! - August 8th 2010, 07:18 PM

I usually don't take a backpack I take my purse and just grab a pen and pencil and the book I'll need that day in my hand.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Daydreamer Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Bigger isn't always better! - August 10th 2010, 04:16 AM

I carry a large over the shoulder purse, and in it I have at most 3 folders, on three subject notebook, a water bottle, some type of snack/meal bar, pens and pencils, and whatever pleasure book I'm reading at the time. So it's usually pretty light, but if I need my textbook for class I just carry that in my arms if it's heavy or if it's a light one slip it in the bag. But that's for college, so at most it's three classes back to back.

PS SoincFan. I LOVE XKCD. And love you signature

(#5 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Bigger isn't always better! - August 10th 2010, 01:49 PM

I have 8 subjects every day, so it's pretty impossible to keep my backback light if I have homework (which I always do) in each subject, and need all the books plus my notebooks and exercise books for them, and my lunch. Mine ends up really heavy but there's nothing I can do about it. I have a base class though so I can't leave my books there when I'm going to another class, but I walk a 20 minute walk too and from school so my back hurts a lot.

I have a Jansport backpack.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Bigger isn't always better! - August 10th 2010, 02:50 PM

Last year, I had a real problem with keeping my school bag light. I didn't use a backpack - I had a bag to throw over my shoulder, and I actually had to buy a bigger one because my stuff wouldn't fit in my smaller one. xD I had 3 classes in a row with no ability to stop at my car to switch out, so I had to take 3 binders and 3 big books with me. Despite the fact that my shoulder wanted to die for the first few weeks, I did gain some muscles doing it. :P

This year, thankfully, my class schedule is MUCH easier, and I have no more than 2 classes per day, VERY spread apart, which is wonderful. As far as I know, my books for this semester are small, so I can keep my bookbag nice and light. I probably will have to use a backpack this year, which will definitely be a change for my college years. :P

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#7 (permalink)) Old
phoenixsrmc Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lily

Re: Bigger isn't always better! - August 10th 2010, 03:05 PM

I LIVED out of my backpack. I lived on lower campus and all my classes were on upper and I never went back home until WAY later in the day. For my health, I think I need to have this goal to keep my backpack lighter. I could always carry my books or know when to not carry books to class I should probably go back to lower more too!

You can lose yourself. Everything. All boundaries. All time.

And just when the sweet confusion is so intense you think you're gonna die... you kind of do.

Leaving you alone in your separate body, but the one you love is still there.

That's a miracle.

You can go to heaven and come back alive. You can go back anytime you want with the one you love.

.Lily.
former HelpLink Mentor.
email me anytime <3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: Bigger isn't always better! - August 11th 2010, 10:19 PM

I hate having a heavy back so I took all my books and left them in my mentors room All I took to school in my bag was a pen, a drink and my makeup (which was the heaviest thing in there, probably )

PM // VM

(#9 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: Bigger isn't always better! - August 11th 2010, 10:25 PM

Ahaha. I used to hate that.
Eventually I just left all my stuff in my locker except for the stuff I'd need that weekend/night and I'd go to my locker through the day. Then in A level it got to more stuff I had a MASSIVE folder I carried around in my arms all day. Over a year later and I still stop in the middle of the street and think 'shit I forgot my folder'. Its nice to have something to cuddle as you wonder around the halls xD

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Anomaly Offline
Penguins love you
I can't get enough

Re: Bigger isn't always better! - August 12th 2010, 05:18 PM

I carry a big purse and stick a couple things in that most the time. But my classes are crazy this year so I may be switching to a backpack.

Closed Thread