TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 21st 2010, 08:05 AM

Ok so I don't know about everyone else, but I thought it'd be good to have a thread about those of us moving to university so we can post any questions/worries/exciting moments rather than winding up with like, a million threads. I'm avoiding the student room because it gets a wee bit hectic in there sometimes, so I thought this might help

I'm panicking because I can't get decent accommodation....and I think it might work out easier/cheaper to get a flat with some friends who are there, but everyone says it's a bad idea....thoughts?

And has anyone started their pre-uni shopping yet? The guy next door bought me a blender

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 21st 2010, 10:50 AM

BAD IDEA YES YES. You don't want to cut yourself off like that. Yes you'll still meet people on the course but you'll meet SO MANY MORE people in Halls and miss out on the pre-gaming and everything that happens there.

I'm still waiting for my accommodation people to tell me what type I've got and I'll be so gutted if I don't get my first choice. Hopefully I will because most rooms are that choice. My second choice is basically the same but a smaller flat (4-5 people) rather than a larger flat (10-12 people).

Yay blender I bought a hairdryer yesterday as I currently share one.

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ellie Offline
Oh mai.
I've been here a while

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 21st 2010, 11:07 AM

Okay, so I'm not actually moving to uni this year but I thought it might still be good to post because if you have any questions I might be able to help answer them as well. I've been at uni for two years now [can't believe it's been that long!] I was in student accomodation for my first year and I absolutely loved it. There are people on my course who lived in houses and did enjoy it but I don't think it gives you the same experience. I've met some of the best friends I could wish to make through halls and it definitely does give you a unique experience that I don't think you would be able to fully experience living separately. I would definitely recommend looking into halls.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 21st 2010, 07:24 PM

Ah the problem is that the accommodation has...gone. Well, unless I want to pay £118 a week for semi-catered...and it's a bit rank...I looked round

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 21st 2010, 07:27 PM

Have you tried Unite?

It's fine to have one.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 21st 2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
Have you tried Unite?
My Dad works for Unite and he hates them. The ones around here are a mess and 1 of the buildings has cockroaches, he thinks they are totally not worth the money.

I would have a good look around the ones to want to go to and be really careful, it might just be these that are bad.

Also the company that provides the maintenance for the buildings is about to go bust so that could cause problems.

If it is your last possible option then it is worth looking into.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Dark_Night Offline
Average Joe

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 21st 2010, 09:55 PM

This will be my 5th semester living in a dorm room. The first university I went to was horrible. We just had one room with two beds on the side of each other, only 5 feet apart and our own desk. No private space and on top of that we had to share a restroom with 2 other girls.

The 3rd semester I transfered universities. One that's smaller and more low key- just my style. The rooms are so much better here. I share a room with just one other person. We share the living room and restroom but we have our own bedrooms which is perfect because I'm one that needs my personal space, if I dont' I freak out.

Moved in today. Roommate hasn't shown up yet. Got pretty much everything I need. One thing that is always a must for me is a box of books because I am an avid reader.

I do plan getting a mirror though this way I don't have to use the one in the restroom all the time. That sounds odd coming from me because I hate mirrors :lmao:

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 22nd 2010, 09:17 AM

As always, try to find a forum that deals with the area (university-run forums are best, but failing that there are others) and see what people are saying about each accommodation. You'll learn bucketloads from people who have stayed a year or two in the place you're looking at.

An odd question, but this one's been bugging me: Is it possible to join too many societies?
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 22nd 2010, 08:53 PM

Ah I've managed to find a uni-run flat that I'm sharing with some friends. Cheaper and nicer than halls. £50 a week, inclusive of bills Not too bad.

I'm tempted to buy those melamine/plastic plates that caravan people use....I break stuff a LOT...it seems like a good plan

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 22nd 2010, 09:51 PM

Thats so cheap! I'm jealous!

No you can't join too many socs, my plan is to join as many as possible then drop out of the ones I like least

It's fine to have one.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Dark_Night Offline
Average Joe

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 22nd 2010, 10:18 PM

I'm planning to join a few societies/clubs as well. I don't know how much I'll be able to do since I got to find time to study and get a job but hopefully I'll be able to work in a few things. Our school has a photography club which I'm involved with so I hope to get that going a bit better than it has been.

All settled in my dorm room now. I'm satisfied with the way it looks though it could use a few more things just to spice things up a bit.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
phoenixsrmc Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lily

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 22nd 2010, 11:33 PM

My school has specialty housing and last year I lived in the multicultural housing and this semester I'm living in wellness housing (I'm trying to be fit )

You can lose yourself. Everything. All boundaries. All time.

And just when the sweet confusion is so intense you think you're gonna die... you kind of do.

Leaving you alone in your separate body, but the one you love is still there.

That's a miracle.

You can go to heaven and come back alive. You can go back anytime you want with the one you love.

.Lily.
former HelpLink Mentor.
email me anytime <3

(#13 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 23rd 2010, 08:15 PM

I'm leaving next Wednesday. Transferring to a school in Dayton, Ohio. This will be my fourth school and my third school out of state, last year I stayed in state about 2 1/2 hours away from home. I'm nervous about leaving the state again, and because this transfer has just happened in the last 2 weeks I don't even know what my housing is yet. So I'm very much nervous.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#14 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 26th 2010, 08:43 AM

Eek I'm so excited to move in! I just need to buy a kettle and toaster, and I'm sorted. And all the silly bits and pieces like can openers and those thingys that you use to drain water off cabbage with....er...like a bowl full of little tiny holes

P.S [I hope this isn't advertising] But ASDA have some super, super cheap dinner sets [£4 for 12 pieces - bowls, plates etc] and cutlery, glasses etc. They're great

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 26th 2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-am-not-a-robot View Post
Eek I'm so excited to move in! I just need to buy a kettle and toaster, and I'm sorted. And all the silly bits and pieces like can openers and those thingys that you use to drain water off cabbage with....er...like a bowl full of little tiny holes
I feel for you, I've yet to figure out how to fit that 3-stage steamer I bought into my bag...
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 26th 2010, 02:40 PM

Oooh I want a steamer! God, I could get so carried away! My flat is fully furnished but it's little bits like kettles and blenders that I still need

(#17 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 26th 2010, 06:23 PM

Steamers are good!! Get one... mine was like £8 from wilkos

I've just got to get:
- large pan
- small pan
- blender/hand mixer
- bedding
- towels
- plates

and then I'm done with kitchen/bedroom stuff and am on to other fun things like fairy lights to make my room more homely and brown mascara

All my make up has seen to run out at once which is just not fun!

It's fine to have one.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 26th 2010, 09:25 PM

I want an ikea trip to buy some of their groovy rugs. And a couple of throws - my sofa is hideous. Think 80's reject and you're halfway there

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 27th 2010, 07:07 AM

I think the Ikea trip is the best, it's cheap and they always have a lot of stuff for college students.
Too bad I won't be moving in this year to dorms because my friends and I forgot to fill in one paper about "Physiological" test? I don't even know what that is, next year I will sure remember to do that.
Good luck everyone.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 27th 2010, 12:56 PM

Where abouts are you staying then? Or are you commuting?

(#21 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 27th 2010, 04:49 PM

Went to argos and my plates are out of stock. Boo booooo

however just plates & mixer left now!

It's fine to have one.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 29th 2010, 01:40 PM

This will be my 7th (holy crap!) semester in a dorm, and I have to say, I quite like it. I like not having to worry about bills and such for an apartment. Senior year, they give you the opportunity to move off-campus, but I refused to do it (I looked into it for a little while, but, of course, you then have to worry about rent and such).
For freshman, sophomore, and junior years, I had roommates. Freshman year, I had a semester alone in a pretty typical dorm room (except I was "handicapped" so I had my own bathroom :P ) and a semester with 3 slobs (who I fondly call 'The Drunks'). Sophomore year, I had one roommate who happened to be my best friend and it was fabulous. Junior year, I had 3 roommates: my best friend, one girl who was becoming a good friend (but ended up moving because she couldn't handle one of us (not me or my best friend) being a slob), and one girl who was a friend that my best friend and I ended up having a falling out with because we learned she was a lying ho-bag.

So, this year, I decided that I wanted to have a room to myself. I ended up in a single bedroom apartment, and I'm in love with it. The privacy is amazing, and I'm glad I don't have to deal with lying ho-bags, slobs and crazy drunks. I wanted this year to be very drama free so I can focus on my classes and graduate.
I love my little apartment. It's totally handicap accessible, has a bathtub/shower, a HUGE closet, a linen closet for the bathroom, a storage closet, a coat closet, a full-sized kitchen, and the cutest livingroom on the planet. The only thing I don't like is that the sun comes in right through my window in the morning, so I'm awake during the early hours, even if I don't have to be. Oh well, I'll get used to it. :P

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 29th 2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Emily~ View Post
...the sun comes in right through my window in the morning, so I'm awake during the early hours, even if I don't have to be.
MY DREAM!!!

[EDIT] I'm moving into a pretty expensive student complex in a week's time, just hoping the roomates aren't a nuisance...
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 30th 2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-am-not-a-robot View Post
Where abouts are you staying then? Or are you commuting?
We still don't know we want to rent an apartment nearby but we don't know, it's already been a month and we still don't have a place, I live about 30mins away but sometimes stay in a dorm kind of "illegally" but it doesn’t really affect me I can just go home any day since its only 30 mins away.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Dark_Night Offline
Average Joe

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 30th 2010, 11:24 AM

I love my room, sort of. I get the sunrise which I totally love and seeing it rise over valleys and such is so beautiful.

As far as roommates go I have had a 4 out of 5 failure rate. I once lived in a dorm for a year where the only thing that seperated us was five feet of floor space (so no personal space). Did not talk to them at all. I then moved schools. Had my best friend from high school for a semester and that was kind of a dream even though she's a party girl but it was still good. Then got a new roommate the following semester and we didn't talk either. This semester I have a roommate, I've tried to talk to her but she won't so whatever. And then I can't stand the music that my new roommate plays so that doesn't help matters much. Am I defective or something?

(#26 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - August 31st 2010, 11:30 PM

You're not defective!! Maybe you could make a bit more of an effort though? Suggest you go eat together when you want to eat or something like that?

I really don't understand this whole room mate thing. No one does that here, most Uni's don't even have shared rooms and for example at my Uni there are very few shared rooms - despite the fact that all accomodation has been filled to the max with the University placing people in UNITE accomodation, and other private accomodation because there is just no university rooms left - there are still shared rooms. Nobody wants them. People are opting to live up to an hour away from the university campus rather than share a room.

I could NOT share a room. I just couldn't!

It's fine to have one.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Dark_Night Offline
Average Joe

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - September 1st 2010, 11:33 AM

I share a living room and a bathroom but bedroom wise we have our own seperate rooms which helps.

I've tried to be nice to my roommate but she doesn't return it so I'm just gonna stop trying with this one. She's not worth my time.

The one thing I do hate is being a light sleeper. I just always have my guard up at night incase the worst should happen. We tend to leave the light on for the other whoever gets in late or whatever so I can see the light through my bedroom door. It's crazy. Just this morning my roommate got in at 5:50 A.M.

Thinking of getting an apartment next year (though I doubt it). It would just be easier knowing I was the only one there and wouldn't have to worry about anyone coming in.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Bertie

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - September 3rd 2010, 09:05 PM

Im moving to uni two weeks yesterday, and surprisingly met some people who are near me in halls on facebook so I would suggest that if you can find a facebook page about the place youre living in as old rentees will give their advice about everything.

Currently, in my house, we have an entire room of my Uni stuff... however I still need more :O

(#29 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - September 3rd 2010, 11:48 PM

I move on thursday and I am freaking the fuck out because a) i have so much to do b) i have so much to buy and c) i have no money.

It's fine to have one.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Allons-y! Offline
Don't blink.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - September 4th 2010, 01:41 PM

I moved in last Sunday

let me light up the sky, light it up for you
let me tell you why, i would die for you
When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.
9 out of every 10 problems in relationships can be solved by talking. So why are we so damn quiet?

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - September 4th 2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
I move on thursday and I am freaking the fuck out because a) i have so much to do b) i have so much to buy and c) i have no money.
Well, consider the situation I'm in. Earliest I can move in is this Monday, which is also my orientation day. I have an hour and a half drive to get to the place, orientation starting at 9am, at lunchtime I have to leg it back to the accommodation to check in and throw my bags into the flat, then I rush back, grab as much of a lunch as I can, when orientation ends it will be 7pm at which point I'll return to the accoms, make dinner (somehow), then unpack and such, and then wait until shops open the next day to actually buy anything to eat!
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - September 4th 2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post
Well, consider the situation I'm in. Earliest I can move in is this Monday, which is also my orientation day. I have an hour and a half drive to get to the place, orientation starting at 9am, at lunchtime I have to leg it back to the accommodation to check in and throw my bags into the flat, then I rush back, grab as much of a lunch as I can, when orientation ends it will be 7pm at which point I'll return to the accoms, make dinner (somehow), then unpack and such, and then wait until shops open the next day to actually buy anything to eat!
I have no sympathy, it is a 7 hour drive to my Uni, and I have to be there at 11am for a health check. Funnnn timmeeessss!

leave earlier so you can get your stuff into the flat and do some food shopping before 9am orientation? T'is what I would do Get up at 6am, you'd be there at 7:30am with time to dump your stuff and buy some food before heading over!

It's fine to have one.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Ellen Offline
Future Psychology Guru
Not a n00b

Name: Ellen

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - September 12th 2010, 02:38 PM

I have this semester, the spring semester, and the summer semester left at a 2 year college. I'm starting to get very nervous about transferring. I have no idea how they treat transfer students.

Also, should I get a roommate or spend the extra money to live on my own? I do not study that well with other people in the same room, and I really do not plan to be all that social outside of just a couple of clubs/organizations.

Any advice/insight?

(#34 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - September 12th 2010, 06:09 PM

if you don't want to share, don't share personally sharing sounds horrific to me but no one shares here..

I LOVE UNI. ITS SO FUCKING AWESOME HERE

It's fine to have one.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - September 12th 2010, 06:13 PM

Does the place you're moving to have a library? Most people over here simply accept that everyone's not going to be studying at the same time and head down to the library.
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - September 14th 2010, 03:15 PM

i want to move in NOOOOWWWW. too excited/anxious! have to wait another to weeks though!

(#37 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: The "I'm moving to Uni" thread - September 14th 2010, 04:01 PM

YOU WILL FUCKING LOVE IT.

It's fine to have one.

Closed Thread