TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I'm SuperGirl
Average Joe

Name: Grace

Unhappy I just keep failing... - January 8th 2009, 12:44 PM

I was homeschooled and did not receive a traditional diploma. So in order to go to college I went and took the GED. I passed everything with flying colors except math. My other scores were very high but math has always been my weakness. Im going to try again but I feel like such a failure and I feel so ashamed of myself to be even getting the ged. I feel as if I'll always be a failure and it just gets me down so low. I called them and found out today I didnt pass! I missed the boat by ten points! Its so dissapointing, I feel like a dissapointment to my parents, I havent told them yet! This is the second time that I had to retake the math. I wasnt raised as a quitter so I'm going to keep fighting. I have dreams that I want to achieve but getting the results makes me feel like Im just not cut out to be successful.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Olive, always Offline
The Mighty Grape
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Liv

Re: I just keep failing... - January 8th 2009, 01:42 PM

Getting a GED is nothingggg to be ashamed of, number one.
Now, I understand your disappointment, but the only reason you should ever feel truly disappointed is when you stop trying.
Always, always try. You can do it, and that's all you need anyway - the push for the last 10 points (which really aren't a measure of your aptitude in said area, but rather a bit of luck).
Stop yourself from thinking that way, okay? You aren't "not cut out for success"...life just hands us a deck of cards (whether they're peachy or not) and we have to just run with 'em.
Your deck isn't bad, you just need that little extra bump up, so things are definitely not impossible! ((:
So good luck on that luck! Best of luck in the trying. x

=P

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Troy Offline
- Love It
Not a n00b

Name: Kyle

Re: I just keep failing... - January 8th 2009, 02:32 PM

My brother and my sister both Homeschooled all threw. I dont remember how my mom did it but she pulled off getting them a diploma. They technically passed High school so they got one.

"When you live forever
What do you live for"

"Simplicity Is Fun..."
Notice Me Please..

Join
The Flying Ninjas Of TeenHelp...
Its a group thing.

Send a message via AIM to Troy Send a message via MSN to Troy  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Confused1isin Offline
Straight Edge LIFE!!!!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kelly or Khaos

Re: I just keep failing... - January 8th 2009, 04:23 PM

Getting your GED isnt something to be ashamed of. I got mine, left traditional school to go to culinary school, and its working best for me. Not passing the math section doesnt make you a failure, just means you need to work a bit harder next time...Often stressing about a test will cause you to doubt yourself and over think a simple question. I never did that well in math, but I just told myself to relax and to not stress it, and I ended up passing. I didnt aim for the highest score, just high enough to pass and I did. The night before you take the test make sure you get a good amount of sleep, and eat a nice filling breakfast in the morning, and do something that clears your mind before taking the test.

good luck.

"It took a funeral to make me feel alive"
"
Forget regret or life is yours to miss, no other road, no other way. No DAY BUT TODAY!!!!"
  Send a message via AIM to Confused1isin Send a message via MSN to Confused1isin  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: I just keep failing... - January 8th 2009, 04:30 PM

Do you know what specifically is on the GED? Like, to they have a list of tested concepts? What I would do is find that list, and write down each topic. Then I would find math textbooks and pull lots of problems for each topic and and kinda make your own study set but putting them together into one packet. Then I would try to solve those problems for all the topics and see how you're doing.. (most books have answer keys and stuff for odd answers, so you should be able to measure your progress) then take the "problem areas" and do more and more problems for those. And then take it again.

Also, do you have the finances to consider a few sessions with a tutor familiar with the GED maths? If so, I would dish out for a few sessions to get a professional assessment on what you need to work on.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I'm SuperGirl
Average Joe

Re: I just keep failing... - January 9th 2009, 08:20 PM

Thanks so much for all the replies! They really made me feel alot better about my current situation!! As for getting a tutor-- im actually in the process of possibly getting a tutor or taking a course that focuses on the GED math. Thanks again! I know I can do it..! and when I do get it, I'll be wicked happy & excited!!

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may mean the world.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - Eleanor roosevelt

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Whaaatever Offline
Average Joe

Re: I just keep failing... - January 9th 2009, 08:27 PM

Ahhhh, I'm in exactly the same boat as you are, passing everything but my maths. I've got a re examination coming up, but I doubt I'll be able to pass it. I'ma just wait and see what happens. Going with the flow is so much easier. :P

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I'm SuperGirl
Average Joe

Re: I just keep failing... - January 9th 2009, 09:04 PM

Aw. Im glad I have found someone I can relate with! It hurts so much to keep failing.. Good luck and you can do it just as well as I know I can! =)

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may mean the world.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - Eleanor roosevelt

Closed Thread