TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

Postgraduate study - September 8th 2010, 07:49 PM

I never really envisioned going on to an MA. I'm studying Classics and Archaeology as a Major/Minor. I much prefer Classics and it really is my thing. I'm planning on doing graduate entry medicine, but in the high chance of me failing to get a place in that I've decided I'll do an MA.

I had a module in Greece and I was reading T.E. Lawrence's (Lawrence of Arabia) Seven Pillars of Wisdom for the thrid time while I was there. It probably affected me more then than it ever has. He had done a BA in Classics and Archaeology like me, albeit at Oxford, and his book is called the Seven Pillars of Wisdom after the seven great cities of the Middle East and he believed Ancient Greece, the founder of Western Civilisation, was just another easten culture...and I have to agree with him. He believes civilisation was founded in the Middle East when farming was developed there and that gave men scope to think. Ancient Greece is definitely more east than west and all of these supposed disciplines of mediine, philosophy and its mythology had all begun in Arab cultures.

I've decided that I'll apply for an MA in Middle Eastern Studies, because I have the Classics side of it and with archaeology I might get called in on digs and things in Turkey to eastablish whether its Arab/Muslim/Persian or Greek. If I get a First in my degree I'll get a scholarship for it.

Anyway, the major thing to say is that not many universities offer Middle Eastern studies, but I was talking to the head of the school of Classics today and I know him quite well. He was asking me about it and saying what a good idea it is. He gave me a scholarship and I've had A's in all his modules so I think he thinks quite highly of me...anyway he said "Trinity have a rather excellent part of their Classics department towards the Middle East. I suggest you apply their." I took me a moment to realise he was talking about Trinity College, Oxford.

Now I like to fantasise about Cambridge and Oxford. I've asked about applying here, semi-seriously, and to be honest I wasnt going to. Theres no way I'm smart enough or the calibre of person for those institutions...but he said it, and he did his BA, MA and PhD at Magdalen, Oxford...so either he knows, or its just all he knows about...

...and now I'm going through all that fucking rig-ma-roll again of not telling my parents or friends about applying there and all the other bullshit that I feel about it. I'd love it though. I really would - those beautiful buildings, and I'm reading a book by a Trinity graduate who was shot down in the Battle of Britain.

I don't know.

How do I apply for postgraduate courses in the UK (and Ireland)?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Postgraduate study - September 10th 2010, 07:27 PM

The Postgraduate version of UCAS is called UKPASS so I think you apply through there in the same way you would on UCAS.
http://www.ukpass.ac.uk/

I am not sure how to apply in Ireland though.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Postgraduate study - September 10th 2010, 08:13 PM

I have heard http://www.postgrad.ie/ being mentioned before, you might want to have a look at it. You'll need the honours to back it up though - apparently universities can be quite picky about who they allow to waste their time...
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
Closed Thread