TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
shallow_abyss Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

College interview - September 28th 2010, 11:39 AM

Hi guys!

Recently I've applied for college(I'm from Korea, so the time is different) Right now I've applied to 5 different colleges as a foreign language(English) excel student. The process is divided into two: The first is the document process, where the college in question looks at your grades. The second is the more important, practical step. You do either essays or interviews. As luck would have it, 3 of the 5 schools I'm applying to have interviews.

I am fairly sure that I'll get pass the first step But the second step's a different story. The fact that I'm applying as a FLE student means I can try my hand at colleges normally higher than my grades would allow. And the highest college I'm applying for is.....well, the second-best university in Korea

The interviews are the part that fighten me. I haven't done an interview before, let alone a application one. And I don't even know what the contents of the interview are! To make matters worse, the interviews are short, lasting barely 10 minutes per person!

I've lived in America for 7 years when I was young, and I've kept reading English books, as it's easier for me to read English than Korean, and to keep my English skills intact. Also, I've kept posting on internet forum sires(Such as this cool one) for several years, but I haven't spoken Enlgish properly for a long time. People around me say my Enlish is good, my pronunciation is perfect. That may be true, but if I can't do acceptable dialogue, it won't work. So I guess what I'm asking you to help me on....Is how to talk with what I know during the interview.

I have slightly over 2 weeks to prepare.....I know that's a tight space, and I should have started earlier, but as what's done is done, I'll have to make do with the time I have left. And hope I succeed...... I hope you can help me.

Currently, I'm practicing my speaking by talking with my school's native speaker, and I've subscribed for this telephone English speaking course that allows me to talk with a special native speaker. Both are three times per week, so that's 6 times a week, and about 15 times in total. I can just do free-speaking, or if I present specific topics, they'll help me with those.

Some other things I'm doing include reading English science books(I'm applying as a science student), reading newspapers and watching the news so as to get a grip on recent international events.

But the main thing I need help on are interview topics.....As I don't know that will be on the interview, I can only guess. As far as I know, some things that will probably come out will be my applicative motives, my will to study at the particular department and my plans for after graduation. And since it's in English, I'm fairly sure worldwide affairs will come out too.

I guess I'll need to know deeply about the department I'm applying for, and about international affairs. I'll also have to be able to express my thoughts in a convincing, but not exaggerating way.

Could you help me with this? Because this college in particular is important for my future. I think most of you know what I mean....Thanks in advance

Glad to meet you!

Anyone from Korea?

Closed Thread