TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ILoveDimaBilan Offline
Average Joe

Name: Nina

Question Journalism - September 28th 2010, 08:42 PM

Hey Guys it's Nina!

I am curious, lately I have to start thinking about A-levels,
I live in the UK, so I am wondering what would you recommened for someone who wants to go into Journalism. I'm taking 4 in the first year and then most people drop in one in A2, However I'm not sure what would complement the 3 I've already selected, I was thinking Politics however I'd like to get other views on this.

So Idealy the subjects I want to take are
English,
History,
Sociology,

Thanks very much guys!
Nina

Giant owl goes...
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
- Paul Meton
- HIGNFY

Go against the rules walk on your own not behind someone else!
- Dima Bilan

The Glass of life is never half empty it is always half full
- ME

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Journalism - October 10th 2010, 07:44 PM

I have to be blunt.
Journalism is a bad career path.

Why? Its very risky, and the pay is low.

Alot of journalist are losing their jobs because of the economy and technology.

Technology is basically killing off the newspaper industry and TV is slowly but surely losing advertising money because of the the internet. Internet TV is making TV broadcasters nervous. In Canada alot of local tv companies are losing alot of money because cable and satilite providers can use their content for free..

The Internet is transforming the industry to the point that it will become more competitive. It reduces the need for salaried journalist and it creates more freelance or low paid journalist.

Do you want to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a dying profession? because it SEEMS fun and interesting. Its up to you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

Re: Journalism - October 10th 2010, 08:38 PM

Tomb is perhaps being a little melodramatic about the whole affair of journalism. Whatever way the media is broadcast and recieved there will still be a demand for journalists and competent writers. If anything the internet will open up more job opportunities for journalists. Established newspapers, magazines, journals and magazines will still require journalists even if they change their main publishing outlet to the internet.

Journalism has always been a career thats been off the beaten track. A job in it has never been secure.

Rather than worry about the dangers of unemployment and redundancy that has always shadowed journalists of every calibre (Hunter S. Thompson for instance); I think you should look into the actual practicalities of working in journalism - it isn;t what you'd imagine, so research that first.

And you should also be aiming for a good university if journalism is what you want. The institution you do your degree at will have a huge impact on your success at getting and holding down a job in journalism - not only due to its name, but the editors and senior executives of various media will have been educated and know the people who taught you - its a small world.

So the likes of a BA in Keele won't cut it for you, I'm afraid.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: Journalism - October 10th 2010, 10:45 PM

I'm studying journalism at the Glasgow Metropolitan College. One of my lecturer's left college and went straight into employment. No university or anything. You wanna be a journalist? Get work experience. It counts for a hell of a lot more than anything else does. So you can pass exams, great, doesn't mean you're a good journalist. Good journalists make people listen. Work experience gives you practice. Ask your local newspaper, etc, to see if there's anything available.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Journalism - October 11th 2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
I'm studying journalism at the Glasgow Metropolitan College. One of my lecturer's left college and went straight into employment. No university or anything. You wanna be a journalist? Get work experience. It counts for a hell of a lot more than anything else does. So you can pass exams, great, doesn't mean you're a good journalist. Good journalists make people listen. Work experience gives you practice. Ask your local newspaper, etc, to see if there's anything available.
This guys point of view is realistic..

If you really want to look for some jobs. go ask... go call... go look for the jobs online...

Like he said its not just a degree that will qualify you to get the job..

I know a lady who went to Oxford University just to be an Assistant of a big magazine.

Journalism is a tough industry. competition is tough.

Ive seen people get degrees and they ended up not getting the job they want and they work low paying jobs that doesnt require a degree...

Im lucky that I have a recession proof degree.... Accounting

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools...core_jobs.html

Closed Thread