TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
3DDfan Offline
Just passin' thru..
Welcome me, I'm new!

Yeahh - October 6th 2010, 06:41 PM

So.. I'm a homeschooled teenager and..
Around 5 years ago, my family moved. In the move, I got way behind on school.. And flat out neglected it. About a year later, I realized, I need to get back on my school. But my Mom decided to just put me where I was suposed to be, and not where I needed to be. Almost 6 years later, at 16, I struggle very heavily with math. Sometimes when trying to buy something, I get very nervous.. And a lot of times I can't multiply off the top of my head, or find the half of a certain number.

I deff. do not wanna go into the real world like this. My dream is to be a lawyer, and I know unless I learn math, that dream will never come true.

Although I don't feel it now, I have in the past, felt like suicide. Just because I didn't think I would ever amount to anything, due to my lack of education.

I'm pretty caught up on everything but math.. And I have a very hard time even trying to learn it.

Anyone else ever have a problem with math? If so, how did you overcome it?

~3DDfan

If today was your last day.. If tomorrow was too late, could you say goodbye to yesterday?
Been with the girl of my dreams since: 8.14.10

(#2 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Yeahh - October 7th 2010, 03:05 AM

Math has always been one of my worst classes. I was incredibly lucky to have amazing teachers 3 out of my 4 years of highschool in Math. They challenged me beyond anything I'd experienced, but were also helpful at the same time. I wouldn't be as good as I am at Math if it weren't for them.

Find a good tutor, they can help you!

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Simplyme7 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Yeahh - October 7th 2010, 03:38 PM

I agree. A good tutor would help a lot. But also, if you cannot afford a tutor, then i would look into playing the math games and stuff that you can find online. They can sometimes help.

Also, just practicing can help. Like I've always been pretty bad at telling time on a analog clock. And I've also never been real good with quickly adding, subtracting, multiplying or dividing just simple numbers. Well last year I helped out in my aunts 1st grade class, and i graded all of the papers. After spending that whole year grading papers, I have gotten much much better at doing simple math in my head.

I hope that you can find something that will work for you.

Good luck, and you can always PM me. =]

(#4 (permalink)) Old
3DDfan Offline
Just passin' thru..
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Yeahh - October 7th 2010, 04:58 PM

Thank/s guys! I can learn like anything.. But I always forget it . I used to know nearly all of my multiplication tables, but over time, I forgot.
I'm thinking about approaching my mom about a tutor.. Due to her not being patient enough to teach me. Hopefuly that'll help.

I'm also gonna follow your advice about the games.. I'll go surf around for some.

Thank/s again for the advice!

~3DDfan

If today was your last day.. If tomorrow was too late, could you say goodbye to yesterday?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: Yeahh - October 7th 2010, 09:31 PM

Hey, I just thought I'd mention that I was home schooled too, and I hated Maths but I got through it! I found that home school was a good way to study independently (but then I am very biased ). Like the others have said, there are good websites and other resources you can use. When I studied for my exam I went on the exam website and basically swotted up on what the test would be like. Don't despair, there's a lot of different ways you can catch up. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Yeahh - October 8th 2010, 07:18 AM

I was the opposite actually, when I was very young (i.e. kindergarten and in elementary school), my math was several grades above others but my speech was the shits because although I was born in Canada, my parents were often out on province on business trips, so my grandmother stayed to take care of me. Problem was she hardly spoke any English.

You can either get a one-on-one tutor or try programs such as Sylvan or Kumon. They're out-of-school programs that help either with challenging kids further (i.e. math for me) or helping them at something they're not so great at (i.e. English and reading comprehension for me). Kumon gives their assignments to do daily and your parents (or you) can buy a marking book from them for the given level you're on to mark yourself. They also give you their tests to do at the centre to see if you can move up a level or not.

Sylvan Learning Centre I've heard of but never did it although they seem to do less Kumon assignments and more tutoring, developing strategies, etc... .

Or, you can just get a private tutor.

I overcame the problems in English just by practicing. For math, it also takes practice and memorization. Lots of it is also thinking outside the box for harder questions so what I would do back in high school is try to see how some of the equations could be used together for something. Depending on the questions, drawing some things out help especially with word problems and writing out what you know, what the question asks and what things you may need as a checklist.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
3DDfan Offline
Just passin' thru..
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Yeahh - October 9th 2010, 05:14 PM

Yeahh. Thanks for the helpful advice guys!

Closed Thread