TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

EMT - November 3rd 2010, 04:42 AM

Does anyone in the US know how long it typically takes to do EMT classes? Obviously it might differ from place to place, but if you know about how long it takes in your area, I'd love to hear.

I'm currently working on my AAS for Nursing to be a registered nurse. But considering that I go to a very small college and the program is extremely competitive, I want to get as many things under my belt as possible.

I'm in the process right now of getting a seat in the next CNA course at my college, which will be in April. I'd then like to try to get my EMT. And then who knows what I might do? I may end up going ahead and joining the next phlebotomy course as well.

Sorry that I rambled... My main question here is about how long it takes to finish EMT classes.

Thank you.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hominis Offline
Life and death in every step.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jeremy [Ghost]

Re: EMT - November 3rd 2010, 05:20 AM

In NY, it takes about six months to complete the EMT B course. It's quite easy. But, ideally, if you're going for nursing, you can actually serve as an EMT on an ambulance.

.never tickle a sleeping dragon.
  Send a message via AIM to Hominis Send a message via MSN to Hominis Send a message via Skype™ to Hominis 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: EMT - November 3rd 2010, 01:43 PM

i think it can range anywhere from 6 months to 2 years, pending on how advance you want to go.

the best idea you can do is go to your local community college and ask them, mainly because its the community colleges that offer those classes.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: EMT - November 3rd 2010, 03:29 PM

I'm in a similar boat. I am currently in a EMT-Basic program at my community college (Ohio) and it is one semester long so August to December. They do not offer it over the summer. The paramedic school (Michigan) I will be going to offers their basic for five months. It's not really a time length that is required but it is you have to get in X amount of hours. Since my class at the community college meets once a week and we miss a week due to a holiday, we had to add on an extra hour for 8 classes. Plus clinicals are outside of class time unlike most nursing schools where you schedule your clinicals when you start classes if they give you the choice to schedule.

Don't go for EMT-I if you plan on going for paramedic. No one has ever recommended it and you still have to go through the paramedic program as if you were a basic at any school I've seen.

Most paramedic schools are a year long after you have a certification for basic. Apparently in Michigan, I don't need to have my certification, just proof I passed the basic. Some programs have really long waits for paramedic and some don't. I would ask around and visit paramedic schools before going. I know the college I am at has just started offering it twice a year and only takes 15 students per time. The one in Michigan offers it about four to five times a year so they don't have a waiting list, but it is a private company that was started by several fire fighter officers so I don't get financial aid.

Do you have to get your CNA for your nursing program? Otherwise I wouldn't get it since in Ohio, you can get the state tested (which most people hire, I have never seen anyone prefer a CNA over a STNA in Ohio) right after having your first nursing course.

The reason why I want to go for my paramedic is that the flight nurses around here need it. Some places just require an EMT-B certification.

Last edited by MisplacedDreamer; November 3rd 2010 at 09:20 PM.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: EMT - November 4th 2010, 03:13 AM

Well, I live in such a small community. I'm pretty sure that the only place to get your EMT here is at the fire hall... And I think it's volunteer work. I'm pretty sure that the EMTs here don't actually get paid.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: EMT - November 4th 2010, 11:41 PM

Well, in my township, they pay the volunteers a little bit but that may be because they are both fire and EMS. Someone in a town over gets paid for just EMS depending on how many runs she does per month. I don't remember the break down of the pay system for here. Some places you can do only EMS and some will require you do both fire and EMS. Fire stations will pay for it if you volunteer, but the fire stations around here send their volunteers to the community college instead of fully teaching them. The main city near us may be different.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Laura

Re: EMT - November 7th 2010, 04:43 PM

I took an EMT-basic course over the summer at the community college in my city. You can also take it for a semester. It usually lasts about a semester (in the summer it's more intense, but it's also shorter). It would be a really good experience to prepare you for nursing, and for when you're a nurse, to relate to the EMTs. On my ride-along (when you ride with EMT-Bs for a day) they were talking about how nice it was when a nurse had first been an EMT. It was easier to communicate about the patient that way.

Closed Thread