TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

View Poll Results: What would you do in this situation?
I'd stay at home with my mom and step-dad. 4 57.14%
I'd move in with my brother and sister-in-law. 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

What would you do? - November 7th 2010, 12:25 AM

Hey guys! This past year, school and family and life in general have been crazy. I'm getting things under control, but I need some advice for this one bit.

So here's the deal...
I'm going to be graduating from high school in June (if not sooner). And I have two options as to where to live when I start going to college.

Option One:
Originally, I had planned on staying at home to go to community college, and then transferring to a four-year college and moving out. Although I had my doubts about this because of my mom and I's difficult relationship, things have gotten better in the past year to the point that it does seem like a realistic option. I would also have the house to myself a lot of the time if I needed it, because my mom and step-dad are usually either working or taking short vacations. The community colleges here have great foreign language and literature departments, but leave a little to be desired in the math and science departments.

Option Two:
My brother and sister-in-law have recently moved into a four-bedroom house (with added guest house) and have offered to let me live with them, rent-free, while I'm in college. My brother, sister-in-law, two nieces, sister-in-law's mother, and possibly one of my sister-in-law's friends would be living there as well. It would be a chance for me to move away from home this summer without having to pay rent right away, which is great, but it would also be crowded. The community college there has great math and science departments, but leaves a little to be desired in the foreign language and literature departments.

There are pros and cons to both. Right now I'm just confused about what to choose. I could see both scenarios going either very well or very badly. So what would you guys do? And why?

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

Last edited by Lorelei; November 7th 2010 at 12:32 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: What would you do? - November 7th 2010, 12:40 AM

I'd say that you need to think about what you want to do when you're at college so that you can decide out of the two college choices which one would be better for you because picking the right college is more important then deciding where you want to live and after a while, you could possibly save up the money to move into your own place anyway.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Re: What would you do? - November 7th 2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charwizz View Post
I'd say that you need to think about what you want to do when you're at college so that you can decide out of the two college choices which one would be better for you because picking the right college is more important then deciding where you want to live and after a while, you could possibly save up the money to move into your own place anyway.
I don't really know what I want to do yet. All I have are a few ideas about what I want to major in when I transfer to a four-year college: business administration, economics, neuroscience, or bioengineering.

The college near my brother and sister-in-law's house is a bit more well-rounded in mathematics and sciences than the one here, but only just. Truly, all the colleges I'm looking at are quite solid.

Maybe it doesn't matter to everyone where they live, but it's very important to me. That's what I'm really stuck on. My family is rather complicated, and I don't want to make a mistake by moving into a place that makes it more difficult for me to focus on my studies.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What would you do? - November 7th 2010, 01:52 AM

You could do one year of both...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: What would you do? - November 7th 2010, 09:31 AM

Business, economics, neuroscience and bioengineering would all require good math and science but have you looked into those 4 areas to see what they offer? Neuroscience (area I study in) is going to use psychology and other science courses, so look at how both places are for those 4 areas as anything else isn't as high of a priority to look into. If they're even, then one thing to consider is transportation to and from. Even if you can drive legally by yourself, are there bus or train routes (or possibly bicycle routes) to take? One thing you'll find is pretty much every campus has high parking fees and it can eat away at your savings pretty fast. Bus and trains may cost less especially if you're a student as many offer student fares and passes which are cheaper.

Also, if you go and live with your brother, sister in-law and the rest of the pack, is this only for community college or is there are 4-year college or university you can transfer to while living there? As you said, living at home, you have access to both so that can give a massive advantage if living with your brother and the pack doesn't.

Living with your brother and the pack, or at home doesn't matter if it's noisy and too busy there since you can study at campus library. This would be good to do just so you don't have to tell your brother and friends to quiet down which could end up being annoying to them after a while. As long as you tell them you're staying late, it should be fine. Living with them gives you the benefit of having something cooked when you arrive whereas at home alone in the house, you have to tend to the food buying and cooking. This may or may not be a problem, especially if you have a reserved amount of food money and good cooking knowledge since ordering fast-food gets expensive after a while.

Lastly, for clothing, I assume that at your brother's they have a washing machine to use so you don't need to wait and travel to a laundrymat. At home, you have a washing and drying machines there so there's no need to travel and insert money.

Think about these things and how they play out in each situation. I'm not going to give a vote until you give the answers, otherwise I can use answers that aren't in your situation making it useless.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Re: What would you do? - November 13th 2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
Business, economics, neuroscience and bioengineering would all require good math and science but have you looked into those 4 areas to see what they offer? Neuroscience (area I study in) is going to use psychology and other science courses, so look at how both places are for those 4 areas as anything else isn't as high of a priority to look into. If they're even, then one thing to consider is transportation to and from. Even if you can drive legally by yourself, are there bus or train routes (or possibly bicycle routes) to take? One thing you'll find is pretty much every campus has high parking fees and it can eat away at your savings pretty fast. Bus and trains may cost less especially if you're a student as many offer student fares and passes which are cheaper.

Also, if you go and live with your brother, sister in-law and the rest of the pack, is this only for community college or is there are 4-year college or university you can transfer to while living there? As you said, living at home, you have access to both so that can give a massive advantage if living with your brother and the pack doesn't.

Living with your brother and the pack, or at home doesn't matter if it's noisy and too busy there since you can study at campus library. This would be good to do just so you don't have to tell your brother and friends to quiet down which could end up being annoying to them after a while. As long as you tell them you're staying late, it should be fine. Living with them gives you the benefit of having something cooked when you arrive whereas at home alone in the house, you have to tend to the food buying and cooking. This may or may not be a problem, especially if you have a reserved amount of food money and good cooking knowledge since ordering fast-food gets expensive after a while.

Lastly, for clothing, I assume that at your brother's they have a washing machine to use so you don't need to wait and travel to a laundrymat. At home, you have a washing and drying machines there so there's no need to travel and insert money.

Think about these things and how they play out in each situation. I'm not going to give a vote until you give the answers, otherwise I can use answers that aren't in your situation making it useless.
I have looked extensively into the four areas, yes. They're both solid, as I said, but not entirely even.

The one near my brother does have more of a variety of science classes, and a more accelerated math department. The math especially would help me, because although I have an aptitude for math, I really didn't get my act together with it until this year. A class they offer there would allow me to catch up on what I missed and I'd be able to be in Calc 1 next fall. (Where I should be.) The science department offers a course specifically in neuroscience, which is not a requirement for transfer to the universities and majors I'm considering, but great all the same.

The college here does not have a neuroscience course (although it's not a prerequisite for transfers to get into the major,) and it would take an extra semester for me to get caught up in math. I'd still be able to transfer on time and probably get into the schools I'm looking at, but the college is less tailored to math and science than it is to language. Basically the main incentive here is that it's home.

My parents have agreed to help me out while I'm in college (if savings and a part-time job aren't enough, they will help me make up the difference.) And I've been known to whip up full meals from scratch, so food money and cooking isn't too much of an issue. I'll economize, obviously, so as not to be too much of a leech..

Public transit around here is abysmal at best. Let's leave it at that. Transit near my brother's is a bit more available, since they live closer to the city. Still not that great, but there.

There are four-year colleges fairly close to both homes. My brother's is about a 30-40 minute drive to UCLA. Home is a 20-30 minute drive to UC Riverside. (Yes, I have factored in LA traffic vs. average traffic.) Both have other universities to choose from in the area, but I confess I'm a bit of a UC snob. (Something that will probably come crashing down once I actually step foot in the classes at whatever university I decide on, but that's neither here nor there.)

Yes, both locations have washer and dryer, as well as family members that I can pool laundry with. Huzzah!

Sorry for taking so long with the reply. Hectic week. Priorities and such. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Last edited by Lorelei; November 13th 2010 at 01:45 AM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: What would you do? - November 14th 2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei View Post
The one near my brother does have more of a variety of science classes, and a more accelerated math department. The math especially would help me, because although I have an aptitude for math, I really didn't get my act together with it until this year. A class they offer there would allow me to catch up on what I missed and I'd be able to be in Calc 1 next fall. (Where I should be.) The science department offers a course specifically in neuroscience, which is not a requirement for transfer to the universities and majors I'm considering, but great all the same.
I'll be a buzz-killer here by saying one neuroscience course really isn't that great. I think you know for yourself that there's so much information in it and having done multiple neuroscience courses in 2nd and 3rd year, it's still not a whole lot. So don't put much emphasis on the neuroscience course. If it's an intro one, it may be fun but it'll be very general. If you don't need it, don't put emphasis on it.

Quote:
The college here does not have a neuroscience course (although it's not a prerequisite for transfers to get into the major,) and it would take an extra semester for me to get caught up in math. I'd still be able to transfer on time and probably get into the schools I'm looking at, but the college is less tailored to math and science than it is to language. Basically the main incentive here is that it's home.
The main difference I can see between both places is in the second last and last lines of this above quote. If you really want to focus on science, having a place tailored to language isn't, in my view, a place to go. That said, it is close to home.

Quote:
There are four-year colleges fairly close to both homes. My brother's is about a 30-40 minute drive to UCLA. Home is a 20-30 minute drive to UC Riverside. (Yes, I have factored in LA traffic vs. average traffic.) Both have other universities to choose from in the area, but I confess I'm a bit of a UC snob. (Something that will probably come crashing down once I actually step foot in the classes at whatever university I decide on, but that's neither here nor there.)
At my campus and at the campus one of my friends used to attend, the university had their own shuttle service or is tied in with city transit. Are there any there from campus because that can be beneficial? Have you toured the campus prior to classes? I did this when deciding where to attend and it helped me rule out a few places I thought were great (other people I know didn't like some of the places either for the same reasons). It can also be an opportunity to know where your classes are because in first-year, so many people were confused where a building is or how to get to a certain room. I also got lost too but not as badly. I used the online pictures or pictures in the packages I got to see how the campus looked but that was often so different, it hardly resembled that campus. You don't want to go to a place where you spend hours at for years and you think it looks like shit.

I'm not going to harp on you about the UC campuses because I live in Canada and I don't know a whole lot about either (nor do I have any interest to learn about them).

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
kitkat_kate Offline
Average Joe

Name: Katie

Re: What would you do? - November 14th 2010, 02:52 PM

As a huge fan of Gilmore Girls... make yourself a pros/cons list and stick to its results. You'll see that, in your heart, you probably already have an answer. The first question I would ask would be if you could be successful in both situations? If that answer is yes, then your decision making process becomes a lot harder. The next question revolves around will I be happy? Because, truthfully, college is ALL about that.

I wish you the best. It's clear you are taking the time to think this through, and I admire you for that. If you've visited the campuses, have you noticed that one just jumps out at you?

Another factor to consider is the money. So be aware of loans needed and that jazz. If you're thinking graduate school, I recommend the most cost-effective route. Going into grad school with debt is, as I've heard, just plain scary and hard to manage.

Good luck! I don't know if I've helped at all, but those are my thoughts on this process. Only you can decide what will be right for you.

i am not my scars and my history
i am, i am, i am who i am...i am who i am.
there are true things inside of me;
i have been afraid to see.

Send a message via MSN to kitkat_kate Send a message via Skype™ to kitkat_kate 
Closed Thread