TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Don't like Uni... - November 15th 2010, 07:47 AM

I'm in..,maybe my 2nd month of uni, doing Creative Writing and English...and I hate it. I've never felt so out of my depth and the course is everything the opposite of what it was supposed to be. I'm in a class with a ton of top class English students who are quite hostile towards me, and the 'Creative' side of the course is non-existent - it's all 'write a poem about this, that's 12 lines long, in this style' and everyone writes exactly the same sort of stuff.
I can't seem to find another course at the uni that I like, but there's a local HE college that has a floristry course that I originally applied for but was told was a waste of a degree
My main problem is that I don't want to move to a different uni, and I don't NOT want a degree, but this one is upsetting me to the point where the thought of it brings me to tears. My student flat is on a 10 month contract so I can't move out...I'm really stuck Any ideas?

Oh, and I do have a job back home about 30 miles up the coast that I work at weekends, and I can easily apply for more hours..but I'd have to travel back every day :/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Don't like Uni... - November 15th 2010, 03:59 PM

I am sorry to hear uni is not going so well for you Jo I know quite a lot of people who have found the course they are doing is not what they expected and then have gone and done something totally different. At least you have given it a go and realised it is not for you so you know that now.

With your accomodation could you not advertise it in like the union and speak to the people in charge of the accomodation? Because they might know people who are looking for a room. This is of course if you want to move back home for the rest of the year. The other option is to look for jobs where your university is. You might be able to get a Christmas temp or the might be something else going.

Then perhaps you should speak to someone at uni because they do have advice people who can advise on careers so I think you should check that out. But I think now it would be too late to start on a course for this year so you will have to look into applying next year.

I am at uni as well so if you want to chat then you are more than welcome

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Don't like Uni... - November 15th 2010, 07:12 PM

I've been going through a similar process with my own academic life - hating every single course I'm taking, and realizing that I totally could have done something different - meaningful to me, even if everyone happens to think it's a waste of degree/money/whatever. Unfortunately, we may just have to suck it up this year - finish the courses you're taking right now and try to do as well as your concentration level will permit - and start with a clean slate next year. It's never really too late to change one's mind. A lot of people I've spoken to since arriving here, agree that the first year is more or less of a "wasted" year, because it's more about discovering things for yourself and shaking off incompatible expectations from one's younger years than anything else.

Take this remaining time to really think things over - and build confidence in yourself, no matter what path you end up taking. Research into different options, talk to people - peers and academic advisors. There are certainly ways to make productive use of the time.

Good luck with everything; I'm around if you ever feel like chatting, also.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Hiraeth 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Don't like Uni... - November 15th 2010, 10:25 PM

If you don't want to go to University anymore and you really don't enjoy it, just move back home and maybe save up money to pay everything off. You're not stuck, you can save up money and pay off the flat or whatever. Or get a family member to help you out. If you're not ready and don't feel right about this, there's no reason you should feel stuck or forced to continue going. You can go some other time later on in your life when you feel more ready for it.

Closed Thread