TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Anomaly Offline
Penguins love you
I can't get enough

Teaching Pros/Cons - November 24th 2010, 06:40 PM

Ok guys, im writing a paper in my cadet teaching class and I need some help.

In the paper I have to give some pros and cons when it comes to teaching and I cant find a bunch.

All I've got so far is:

Pros:
Fulfilling job
summers and holiays off
kids are fun

Cons:
Long work days
low pay
high stress job
lots of at home work/planning.

Any help is greatly apperciated

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Teaching Pros/Cons - November 24th 2010, 08:23 PM

Hey Kendi!

This is a perfect topic for me to help you with since I've done co-ops for teaching assistants.

Some people don't realize some things about teachers, as its kind of hidden in the dark.. but here is a pros and cons list of what I know about..

Pros:
Holidays, summers, weekends off.
Independence
They get paid pretty well
Chose which assignments you want to teach

Cons:
Stress
Long hours
Marking
Trouble Makers

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Anomaly Offline
Penguins love you
I can't get enough

Re: Teaching Pros/Cons - November 24th 2010, 10:15 PM

Thanks Brittany I'll add those to my paper

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicole

Re: Teaching Pros/Cons - November 24th 2010, 10:39 PM

My mom is a teacher and I hear a lot about it. =)
I'll try to add onto what you've said, though the basics have already been touched on.
Pros:
- Make more than your "average Joe." (All right, so the salary a teacher starts out is not the highest. It's definitely a "climb the ladder job." Some teachers who have been in the system a long time, particularly those who have gone back to school and achieved countless degrees, are making six figures)
- Can change lives; inspirational (Every teacher who I know looks forward to the moment a student has that epiphany, or 'ah-hah' moment. It's good to feel that you've made a difference in someone's life, and who better to make a difference in a child's life than a teacher? It takes a lot of strength and power to teach, and when a teacher can say they've chanced a child's life, it has to feel good. Teachers have to be strong, inspirational people. Unfortunately, these moments can be rare. In the years my mom has been a teacher, she's only talked about a couple students she has had this feeling with.)
- Enhances creativity. (Children learn best under creativity, and with today's technology, so many possibilities are open. At my mom's school they use 'smart boards,' which is a computer based software. A person who enjoys being creative would enjoy teaching.)

Cons: (There are a lot more...)
- Overtime without overtime pay. (There is the time a teacher has to put into lesson plans that can take longer than your average job. My mom has a friend who says she puts two hours into every lesson she creates per class. She has six classes, so that's twelve hours she spends just creating lessons)
- No Child Left Behind. (The No Child Left Behind Act is the most aggravating act ever created, especially for teachers. Because of the No Child Left Behind Act teachers across the country are under constant evaluation and one wrong move, or one move that "appears" wrong, could cost them their job. Basically, the quality of a teacher is based off pointless standardized tests. Teachers across the country have lost their jobs because of this act. For your paper I would definitely research this into more detail. )
- Constant involvement is expected. (Even though teachers are required to prepare lessons at home, they are also expected to be involved in the school they teach at. There have been nights my mom has had to stay late at her school for PTO meetings or Extra Curricular activities. All teachers at her school are required to work at least two sporting events. Plus, she has to go to work early once a week to supervise kids before class, it's called "Duty.")

Teaching as a whole has changed remarkably over the last fifty years, particularly over the last five. It's no longer about enlightening our youth about knowledge they need to have to further their education in to high school, college, and the work force. At one point the highlight in a teacher's day was to see a child's face light up as he or she reached an epiphany, they got it. Now teachers have a much more complex role. They are under constant supervision and are often overworked.

Edit: In response to, "they got to choose what they want to teach," from my understanding, that's not always true. Teachers have a standard they have to teach to. My mother does not get to "choose" what she wants to teach, she's required to work with a team and that team decides what they teach. To some extent she may get some say; she gets to choose *how* she teaches, but not *what* she's teaching.

"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

Last edited by Dark-and-Twisty; November 24th 2010 at 10:45 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Anomaly Offline
Penguins love you
I can't get enough

Re: Teaching Pros/Cons - November 26th 2010, 10:20 PM

thank you that helped a lot

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Teaching Pros/Cons - November 27th 2010, 02:08 AM

In public schools there is a chance of loosing several days pay because of budget cuts.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Aureate Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Natalie

Re: Teaching Pros/Cons - November 27th 2010, 12:26 PM

If you're still looking, another possible con could be the lack of education funding itself. Even if the teacher might be getting a decent pay, whats to say for the facilities and supplies?

Whats the point of having a rapier wit if I can't stab people with it?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Teaching Pros/Cons - November 27th 2010, 11:00 PM

What you could also put Kendi, is that when they are sick, they have to do a full day lesson plan.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

Closed Thread