TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
oreogirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Uni fees increases - November 24th 2010, 07:36 PM

So, anyone in the UK will have heard about the increase of the cap on university tuition fees, meaning unis will be allowed to charge up to 9000 a year. Obviously, the better the uni, the higher the fee, but I was going to try to get into UEA (considered one of the best in the country), which will obviously have one of the highest fees. The idea of leaving uni in 30,000 of debt does not appeal to me in the slightest, especially as I was hoping to do a postgraduate degree too.
Yes, I agree that cuts have to be made, but, in my opinion, they've been made in the wrong places. Education guarantees the future of our country, so surely should be protected? And foreign aid has been increased - sure, we should help other countries, but increasing aid when so many other cuts are being made?
For me, this increase is a huge upheaval. I'd decided I would finish 6th form, go to uni, then whilst in uni, make up my mind about exactly what direction I want to take - I know the subject area, just not the exact career I want. Now... I don't know if I want the burden of that much debt when I know how long it'll take for me to get a higher paid job. It's causing me a lot of stress... I'm even considering quitting 6th form and going out to work, as the only reason I went to 6th form in the first place was to get the qualifications I'd need to go to uni.

So... what do you guys think?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Uni fees increases - November 24th 2010, 11:50 PM

UEA is hardly one of the top Universities in the country and I would be surprised if they charged 9000. I would wait and see what happens before making changes to your plans.

You could also do your hardest to get straight A's and apply for a scholarship. This year at least UEA gave scholarships to A grade students.

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Uni fees increases - November 26th 2010, 07:04 PM

UEA is in the top 20 in most league tables, but take those with a pinch of salt. I seriously can't see you getting charged the full whack but I doubt it'd be the minimum.

Ultimately, from an educational point of view it's pointless you asking, why are they doing this. You need to be asking yourself, is it going to be worth it? The debt is a concern, yes... But, it is also worth the money if you're going to get a decent career from going to University.

I did also hear on the grapevine that the amount you have to earn before you start paying it back is also being increased. Don't quote me on that because I haven't researched it, but if that is the case, then it makes the fee increases that little more tolerable.

Good luck.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Uni fees increases - November 26th 2010, 07:30 PM

You won't have to start paying off your debts until you're earning a decent amount (I think) but I know exactly where you're coming from. Also, if you're from a low-income family, most universities can give you a grant towards it.

I personally won't qualify for any extra grants, but will have to bear the weight of **** knows how much debt .

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

Closed Thread