TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Veritą Offline
Formerly KeeperOfMysteries
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alice

Psych Majors-possible careers? - November 28th 2010, 03:12 AM

So, I've been thinking lately about majoring in Psychology in college. However, I keep getting asked what I want to do after college, and I really have no idea. I don't really want to go into therapy/counseling, and I honestly have no idea what else I could do with it.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the [mome raths] outgrabe.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Psych Majors-possible careers? - November 28th 2010, 05:08 AM

I'm a Psych major myself and there are quite a few several careers out there for people like us. I'm telling you, there should be more people in the Psychology field, am I right? What I want to do is work with people with learning disabilities, mainly Asperger's and NLD.

Here is a sample of other jobs you could do in the Psychology field:

College Academic Advisor
Case Manager
Preschool Teacher
Activity Director
High School Sports Manager
Behavior Counselor
Substance Abuse Counselor

This was taken from my college website, but I'm sure you could google other careers that go with your studies.

If you need anything, feel free to PM me and Good Luck!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Psych Majors-possible careers? - November 28th 2010, 07:06 AM

I'm doing psychology, biology and criminology majors, however I'm not interested in therapy either. Many psychology courses overlap with biology ones for neurobiology, which is the area I'm studying in. There is also forensic psychology, which can be applied to children, adults, jury members, police, etc... .

One of the courses I've finished was developmental neuropsychology, which is studying the brain development of children as well as brain damage or illnesses to children early in life affecting their brain. Anything from learning disabilities to William's Syndrome to being born without most of the brain yet still functioning. All this was compared to the effects in teenagers and adults. The professor for this course is also involved in neurosurgery for teens and children, so we got to see some videos and learned how she maps out the areas that would need to be removed and she's in the room while the surgery is going because the patient is often awake.

If you like biology and psychology, this is an area you may want to consider. It's an enormous area both in medicine, research and non-medical practice.

What else are you interested in because psychology can be combined with most things?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Veritą Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Psych Majors-possible careers? - December 5th 2010, 05:56 PM

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for all the awesome suggestions! I was going to do a double major with Eastern Asian Languages, so I'm not really sure what that will amount to lol.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Trickmatic Offline
-
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Psych Majors-possible careers? - December 5th 2010, 10:11 PM

There's always research jobs that require psychology. From what I know of, most of the jobs have to do with research, counseling, therapy.

I saw this job description on the internet that is away from the therapy/counseling field.

• Research/Experimental Psychologists They conduct research at centers, universities, corporations, non-profit organizations, or for the government. They look at patterns of behavior in humans or animals to learn about attention span, learning processes, effects of drugs, motivation, genetics, and neurology.

I definitely think you should speak to a career counselor on your school's campus to get a better idea of the options available to you. You may find out something you never knew before :]

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Veritą Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Psych Majors-possible careers? - December 5th 2010, 10:26 PM

That sounds cool, and I can't believe I never thought to do that before! Thanks for the suggestion!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Smitten Offline
WĄŃŠŹRINGęŠŲŚL
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Smitten

Re: Psych Majors-possible careers? - December 8th 2010, 02:42 PM

I am finishing up my Bachelors in psychology and for my masters I am going for a Environmentally sustainable business MBA. You can really go into ANY field after an associates in it.. so you have 2 years of intro courses to decide if its for you.

You know you are on the precipice of greatness when you feel joy, fear, and the butterflies of change all at the same time.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
alixthetree Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: alix

Re: Psych Majors-possible careers? - December 8th 2010, 03:04 PM

you could always think about Industrial/Organizational Psych. I know they work with companies to find the best ways of deciding who to hire. My psych 110 professor is one and is always promoting it as a very good career that is high paying (you do have to get higher than a bachelor's degree though and somewhat good at math)

Accept and Never
Forget Only
Life Dies.

No matter the amount of negativity you're presented with...
5 minutes from now could be your best moment.
-Mod Sun

Send a message via AIM to alixthetree Send a message via MSN to alixthetree Send a message via Skype™ to alixthetree 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Psych Majors-possible careers? - December 8th 2010, 03:11 PM

If you don't want to do counseling, I immediately think of the total opposite which would be research, I majored in this so I could go on to counseling and I can't tell you how much research they've made me do and I hate it, but that's just me. There's also Industrial/organizational which studies things like job satisfaction and influences of personality on job selection. There's also neuropsych which is studying the brain, mostly in rats or studying how cognition (thinking and memory) works. They made me take a class called professions in Psychology, but I would advise talking to your teachers or an advisor when you go for orientation. You don't have to choose a major right away, you have about 2 years to think about it.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Psych Majors-possible careers? - December 9th 2010, 02:27 AM

You could do neurosurgery...I want to do that, especially because my school requires us to take a year of psychology.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Psych Majors-possible careers? - December 9th 2010, 11:25 AM

I'm kind of in the same boat as you because although through my course you can only do a minor in psychology, and I'd have to do further studying, I've realised I'm pretty sure I want a career in it but I just don't know which area to pursue. I'm going to be investigating more career oppurtunities when I have time over Christmas. Sorry, this post probably wasn't much help but I know how you feel!! I think it's interesting how many people on this site are into psychology as well..

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Nķl a shķltear mar a bhķtear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Psych Majors-possible careers? - December 9th 2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Release9 View Post
You could do neurosurgery...I want to do that, especially because my school requires us to take a year of psychology.
Aye, a fellow in neuroscience. I want neurosurgery as well but failing that, neuroscience is fine with me. There can be research fields in it as well as clinical fields in it. I know 2 clinical neuroscientists, one is an amazing professor whose professor worked with H.M. and the other was a guest lecturer from the same place where the prof works at. She does mostly child neuropsychology and does testing before surgery, during surgery and after surgery on the nervous system. She showed us a video where she was doing a Wada test on a 16-year old girl to locate which side of her brain had language centers (i.e. paralyzed each half of her brain, heard and saw the effects on the girl until the test was done). Other profs I know do more work in research, one of them does work for pharmacutical companies for anti-convulsant medications.

OP, if you're into any of that or studying behaviour from a biological view, there's an enormous field and it's growing rapidly.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread