TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

shitty essay results - November 30th 2010, 03:39 PM

I'm pancking - and I could be very pessimistic here...but I got two C's in essays this year. I'd never got a C before at university. They were both essays one on Ancient Medicine - the Hippocratic Oath and one on the Pan-Hellenic importance of Delphi. I usually get A's or B's.

If there's one thing I know I can do well its write. For one module we had to write a journal in Greece and I was writing mine while I was on the bus hungover in Greece and I got an A. In fact I was told it was the best one. I had always managed A's and B's in essays without trying. Everything up until now was A's. But the journal was 50% and the delphi essay was 50% for this module so now I'm down to what...a B-? fucking hell

I knwo the Ancient Medicine wasn't that good...but I wrote another one. The best one I ever wrote on the Oedipus myth and I only got a B+. I asked the tutor who corrected it what was wrong with it and she told me nothing....for fuck sake. I might only get a B in that module...

Ancient medicine, which I got a C in, I'll only get a B if I do well in the exam.

Now I have very little confidence in the other essays I haven't recieved grades in. I think they're about the same standard even though I think they were good.

What is going wrong? I can see only a string of B's now from the exam results since I'm doing so poorly in essays. Its going to drop me from a 1:1 to a 2:1 now...and I'm in final year.

I feel worn out all the time...especially now that I've put in a lot of work and haven't reaped the results - why the fuck did my Delphi essay have to be a C???? I'm so annoyed with myself. God help me, what do I do?

Last edited by Dedalus; November 30th 2010 at 03:57 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LimLight Offline
Average Joe

Re: shitty essay results - November 30th 2010, 08:56 PM

I'm like you, I usually get A's on all my essays. Last year, however, I had a class and the prof was one of the hardest markers I ever had. Some profs are just harder markers than others. Last year I was so annoyed because I couldn't even get an 80 on an essay for that class, when last year on everything else I was getting 85+. I remembering asking my prof what we need to do to get an 80, and he just said "Be brilliant."

You could always try appealing your grades? Or maybe instead of asking what is wrong with your essay or journal, ask what you can do better? Perhaps your writing is very good, but your ideas don't correlate with it? If that doesn't work, I guess you just have to consider the fact that different markers have different standards. Don't be so hard on yourself because you aren't doing as well in this class as you would in others.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicole

Re: shitty essay results - December 6th 2010, 10:06 PM

All you really can do is talk to your professor. I have a professor this year who has already scared the living hell out of me, and I haven't even gotten our first grade back from our first "one paragraph" essay. We turned it in last Thursday and he said he'll have it back to us in a week. He continues to preach, "Grades aren't everything; in fact, students who receive Bs and Cs learn more than those who receive A's." Every single time he says that, I cringe and my heart races. I'm here on scholarship, and if I don't maintain at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA, I'm screwed. Thankfully I have 8 classes in now, and I have a 4.0 - that gives me a little leeway, but I still am worried.

My senior year of high school, I received A's on every single essay. My high school teacher told me I received the highest grade in the class on multiple occasions.

If I do poorly on my essays, the first thing I'll do is talk to the professor and ask him how I can improve. I might even argue why I should have a higher grade.

Does your professor actually write on your papers? Does he make suggestions? If not, it's possible that you have one of those professors who just gives everyone a C. It might not be anything against you. What are other students receiving on their essays in the class? I know at a lot of major universities some professors don't even read the papers, they just mark the grade as is. I had a middle school teacher like that; he'd just give everyone a B, no matter what.

Some professors are just like that; they have no heart whatsoever. It's sort of ironic with the professor I have, because he got "All A's" in high school and college except for one class. He says, "Don't play the point game," when he obviously did.

"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

Closed Thread