TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Too much to take on at once? - December 1st 2010, 11:40 PM

I'm a full time student at my community college. My next semester will be as follows:
Tuesday 12:30-8:45
Wednesday 4:00-5:50
Thursday 12:30-6:45

Now... I've just applied for a job. A night shift job at Walmart, to be exact. I put down that I can work anytime on Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays... but that on the days mentioned above (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday) that I can work night shift... anytime from pretty much 9 PM to 11 AM (though I know I won't have that many hours... that is when I'm available).

I also have a 1 year old son at home to take care of... so I don't know if I'm getting into too much at one time or what... but we could really use the extra money. Do you think I'll be able to do it?

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Janelle Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Janelle

Re: Too much to take on at once? - December 2nd 2010, 01:09 AM

I think it's worth a try. If it becomes too much you can always scale back your hours or resign if it gets to be too much!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Too much to take on at once? - December 2nd 2010, 01:31 AM

I wouldn't even bother trying. I'm a university student so I have an idea of the kind of dedication you need to your school work. I am literally doing homework and/or studying in almost all of my free time. I have 15 hours of class per week (which is about the same as you), I go to the gym, am on student government and councils, play soccer, and that's about it - on top of my school work. I don't have time to sleep, I really don't. I'm stressed beyond belief and I really can't afford my marks to suffer.

I assume it's the same with you. Who wants to pay all this money to go to college only to do poorly because you have no time for school work? I thought it was too much/not a good idea even before you mentioned your son. Night shifts are probably one of the worst things a college student could get involved with. By working night shifts, you are completely disrupting your Circadian rhythms, which will impact everything. It will be very difficult to function once you disrupt your sleeping pattern as much as you will be - even if you only work night shifts on weekends.

I'm not going to tell you what to do but in all honesty, I strongly advise against it. You even have a son at home. How do you expect to go to class, study, do assignments, go to work, AND take care of your son? There are only 24 hours in a day and you really need to try and understand that. In your current situation, it's time to choose - work or school. I really don't think you can handle both.

Good luck.

SUP BRO.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: Too much to take on at once? - December 2nd 2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMustang View Post
I wouldn't even bother trying. I'm a university student so I have an idea of the kind of dedication you need to your school work. I am literally doing homework and/or studying in almost all of my free time. I have 15 hours of class per week (which is about the same as you), I go to the gym, am on student government and councils, play soccer, and that's about it - on top of my school work. I don't have time to sleep, I really don't. I'm stressed beyond belief and I really can't afford my marks to suffer.

I assume it's the same with you. Who wants to pay all this money to go to college only to do poorly because you have no time for school work? I thought it was too much/not a good idea even before you mentioned your son. Night shifts are probably one of the worst things a college student could get involved with. By working night shifts, you are completely disrupting your Circadian rhythms, which will impact everything. It will be very difficult to function once you disrupt your sleeping pattern as much as you will be - even if you only work night shifts on weekends.

I'm not going to tell you what to do but in all honesty, I strongly advise against it. You even have a son at home. How do you expect to go to class, study, do assignments, go to work, AND take care of your son? There are only 24 hours in a day and you really need to try and understand that. In your current situation, it's time to choose - work or school. I really don't think you can handle both.

Good luck.
Well, I also can't really afford to be broke and unable to pay my bills. So either way, I'm in somewhat of a bind.

Bleh... This sucks.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Too much to take on at once? - December 2nd 2010, 05:03 PM

I would say that you can't work nights on the days you have college the next day but otherwise it's worth giving it a go.

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Too much to take on at once? - December 2nd 2010, 06:40 PM

Working for Walmart in the UK (ASDA), I would suggest taking LESS hours, and making more up with overtime. Trust me, you'll need it.

At certain times in the year I can work 2 evenings and one full day (which is a lot with being at uni full time), yet during busy times in the semester i can't do that due to lots of studying. So I do one day and one evening... but i can take overtime, if and when i need it.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Too much to take on at once? - December 2nd 2010, 10:29 PM

I would not do it. It sounds like way too much.

Closed Thread