TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

thinking about going to college - December 4th 2010, 11:53 AM

i know i always been a person to speak out about not everyone has to go to college to earn a decent living.... but since hurting my back a couple months ago going back to being a mechanic for a living working 40hr weeks isnt something i can do anymore..

i been thinking about attending northwest state community college since its only 30minutes away from me and studying criminal justice or mechanical engineering technology.

only problem with the latter is my math is at about a 6th grade level do you suppose the teachers would take extra time with me explaining it or should i do something like sylvian before hand to improve my math?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: thinking about going to college - December 4th 2010, 12:03 PM

Well, since you'd have to apply for next year entry, why not get down to the books and do some studying and brushing up your maths skills?
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: thinking about going to college - December 4th 2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ANTI-Troll View Post
i know i always been a person to speak out about not everyone has to go to college to earn a decent living.... but since hurting my back a couple months ago going back to being a mechanic for a living working 40hr weeks isnt something i can do anymore..

i been thinking about attending northwest state community college since its only 30minutes away from me and studying criminal justice or mechanical engineering technology.

only problem with the latter is my math is at about a 6th grade level do you suppose the teachers would take extra time with me explaining it or should i do something like sylvian before hand to improve my math?
Great you finally came into realization that you do need at least college. The first question is why criminal justice or mechanical engineering?
To be honest with you math is a must in the engineering field. I'm currently just finished my 3rd semester on engineering and they do give you at least two math’s per semester. Teachers aren’t like in high school they don’t babysit you to make sure you understand you have to ask around talk to your classmates, because often teachers just don’t have time to have a one on one with you.
Something you can do in the meanwhile is go buy a math book that has the answers in the back preferable a pre-calculus book because that’s the first math they will give you(at least here) and start reading and understanding the concepts. You don’t have to memorize everything, you have to understand really understand it.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: thinking about going to college - December 4th 2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by México View Post

Great you finally came into realization that you do need at least college. The first question is why criminal justice or mechanical engineering?
To be honest with you math is a must in the engineering field. I'm currently just finished my 3rd semester on engineering and they do give you at least two math’s per semester. Teachers aren’t like in high school they don’t babysit you to make sure you understand you have to ask around talk to your classmates, because often teachers just don’t have time to have a one on one with you.
Something you can do in the meanwhile is go buy a math book that has the answers in the back preferable a pre-calculus book because that’s the first math they will give you(at least here) and start reading and understanding the concepts. You don’t have to memorize everything, you have to understand really understand it.
i wont comment on needing college cause i dont really need it

as for why engineering it peeks my interest and looks like something id enjoy plus i have 3 uncles who are all in some form of engineering and plan on asking them questions about it at christmas...

criminal justic was about the only thing that didnt have a ton of math required and it also peeked my interest i plan on talking to a teacher i know who teaches certain parts of it next thursday when i see him at the local gun club and see if he can advise me on it further.

also for the record do to certain learning disabilities i realy have trouble learning math directly out of a book reason i was thinking of hiring a tutur to do hands on teaching despie how embarressing it is

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Re: thinking about going to college - December 4th 2010, 10:34 PM

Gaining a tutor shouldn't be embarrassing! It will at least give you more motivation to do so as someone is giving set tasks.

Anyway, stop moaning about needing/not needing college. Both of you. It depends on the person whether you "need" it or not, or just simply "want" to do it.

College/uni isn't for everyone and you can be just as good at doing a job with or without a diploma/degree depending on your training!
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: thinking about going to college - December 4th 2010, 10:50 PM

Hey Dustin, I actually agree that you don't need it, but think that it's a great choice to make.

Since you're going to a community college it will be alot easier to get a tutor (most likely at no cost - just see the studen services office) and also in community colleges math classes start at different levels. For example here at PCC there are pre-requisits, the easiest math class is 030, 060, 090, 120, then you get into college level courses. Just go to Northwest State CC and see an advisor, let them know what you're interested in studying, about your learning disabilites and troubles with math. Then start looking into the financial stuff.

There's nothing to be embarrased about.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: thinking about going to college - December 4th 2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider*man(girl) View Post
Hey Dustin, I actually agree that you don't need it, but think that it's a great choice to make.

Since you're going to a community college it will be alot easier to get a tutor (most likely at no cost - just see the studen services office) and also in community colleges math classes start at different levels. For example here at PCC there are pre-requisits, the easiest math class is 030, 060, 090, 120, then you get into college level courses. Just go to Northwest State CC and see an advisor, let them know what you're interested in studying, about your learning disabilites and troubles with math. Then start looking into the financial stuff.

There's nothing to be embarrased about.
well i did some googling and northwest offers online tuturing in a few things including math so theres probally a good chance they offer person to person tuturing .

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: thinking about going to college - December 5th 2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
i wont comment on needing college cause i dont really need it

as for why engineering it peeks my interest and looks like something id enjoy plus i have 3 uncles who are all in some form of engineering and plan on asking them questions about it at christmas...

criminal justic was about the only thing that didnt have a ton of math required and it also peeked my interest i plan on talking to a teacher i know who teaches certain parts of it next thursday when i see him at the local gun club and see if he can advise me on it further.

also for the record do to certain learning disabilities i realy have trouble learning math directly out of a book reason i was thinking of hiring a tutur to do hands on teaching despie how embarressing it is
Here's my concern, you say you picked criminal justice because it doesn't require a lot of math yet you say you will enjoy engineering but engineering does require a lot of math especially a mechanical engineering. A turtor will only help you so much but at the end of the day it's up to you to really understand it.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: thinking about going to college - December 5th 2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by México View Post

Here's my concern, you say you picked criminal justice because it doesn't require a lot of math yet you say you will enjoy engineering but engineering does require a lot of math especially a mechanical engineering. A turtor will only help you so much but at the end of the day it's up to you to really understand it.
i would enjoy engineering besides all the math.. thats one reason im leaning towards criminal justice so i wont have to to do all the math yet it would also be something id enjoy and it would open pathways into many directions ..
i can understand most things if there explained to me and time is taken to show me how the process of finding a answer is done..

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while

Name: Keeley Siobhan

Re: thinking about going to college - December 5th 2010, 02:23 PM

I think this thread is better for Education and Careers, so I've moved it there from Goals&Ambitions.

"Love me for me, accept the fact I'm true, live like I want, fufill my dreams,
Dream of me, run out free, capture your words and never let them go."

I'll see you on the other side.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: thinking about going to college - December 5th 2010, 08:43 PM

may have been a goal to me......................

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: thinking about going to college - December 5th 2010, 09:26 PM

I haven't googled the place you mentioned but some places do want you to have a higher math ability, unless there's a learning disability or another valid reason. Depending what you do in criminal justice, you may need to interpret and memorize statistics (but not do them unless it's a higher-year course). I suppose if you're able to memorize non-math material, then you're fine. I think about every place (i.e. community college, college or university) recognizes disabilities, including learning disabilities and help students with them. Professors probably won't take extra time for explaining math to you if they realize your math level is at a grade 6 level. I know some of the math professors at the university I go to may take their time to help as some are very compassionate but others would turn their backs and not bother. Tutors would be better but I'm sure the disability center would have additional resources.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: thinking about going to college - December 8th 2010, 05:21 AM

The only Northwest State Community College I know of is in Ohio and they have an excellent nursing program or so I've heard from an infectious disease nurse. I'll stick with the college down the street from me though.

I would look into what kind of testing they have and see if they have a method to place you into certain math classes. Usually there is also a math tutoring lab available to help you. Have you considered seeing if you have a math disability too? If you do have a math disability, then they may be able to help you even more through their disability services.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: thinking about going to college - December 8th 2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
The only Northwest State Community College I know of is in Ohio and they have an excellent nursing program or so I've heard from an infectious disease nurse. I'll stick with the college down the street from me though.

I would look into what kind of testing they have and see if they have a method to place you into certain math classes. Usually there is also a math tutoring lab available to help you. Have you considered seeing if you have a math disability too? If you do have a math disability, then they may be able to help you even more through their disability services.
ya they do have excellent nursing program my sister graduated from there a nurse..

never really looked into having a test done to see if i specifically have a math disabilty but i might since its the only thing i had a hard time understanding or learning everything else im pro-efficent at except maybe spelling and a bit of grammer but thats lack of education i think..

itll be a couple months before i can join the next semester so ill probally do alot of researcher beforehand....

btw telling family that your thinking of college is a bad idea i have 2 people pushing me towards bussiness adminstration i dont think any one would want me for a boss i also have one person saying criminal justice leads nowhere unless i get really lucky...

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Got It All Now
Not a n00b

Name: Amanda

Re: thinking about going to college - December 8th 2010, 05:40 PM

Math is a hard thing to learn, not everyone can easily pick up on math. But I am glad to hear that you are wanting to go to school.

Probably more than one person has said this, but don't just go into criminal justice if it gets you out of doing math. If you want something enough you really have to work at it. From what i read it sounds more like you want to do engineering more than the criminal justice, so you will just have to work at it. Getting a tutor will help, and focusing on learning the math will help you alot.

As for telling your family. It's your life, i learned that the hard way during my first year of university. All my family had ever told me all my life is that I would make an excellent doctor, so I was determined to make my family happy and do that. But going to university i realized that I didn't wanna be a doctor but to teach science in high school. It's what I want to do and want I plan on doing. It took a while for the family to all understand my choices but they have... (its been almost a year and my dad finally stopped harassing me about my choice)

I think that its good that you are "thinking" about going. And I agree not everyone needs to go to university...

Good luck, send a pm if you have any question (i have learned alot about universities all over, even if i am from canada :P )
  Send a message via MSN to NeverFeltThisWay1991 Send a message via Yahoo to NeverFeltThisWay1991  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: thinking about going to college - December 8th 2010, 06:09 PM

My current major is chemical engineering. Maybe I can help you out.
Engineering is a difficult field to get into unless you graduate from a good college. A bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering requires some basic classes of chemistry, biology, and computer programming, as well as a large amount of math and physics classes. Then, you take a lot of classes related to circuits and machines and what not. But you will take a ton of physics, and a ton of math.

If your math is at a sixth grade level, you probably have taken algebra? To graduate with a bachelors in engineering (associates will not get you a job), you probably need to take up to multi-variate calculus. So, for me, this has been my path since sixth grade(?)...

Algebra
Geometry
Algebra 2
------high school
Advanced Algebra
Trigonometry
Advanced Algebra
Pre-Calculus
Calculus 1
------college, freshman year
Calculus 2
------college, sophomore year
Multivariate Calculus
???

I'm taking Calculus 2 right now in my freshman year of college. I plan on taking Multivariate next year.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#17 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: thinking about going to college - December 8th 2010, 06:21 PM

I'm currently attending a community college part time and I know they have a good range of courses for people of all levels of math skills, even down to and below a 6th grade level. They also have a really good tutoring center to help people out when they need it. Not sure how the school you mentioned is set up, but if it's anything like mine you should have no problem getting up to speed.

~Cody

Normal User

(#18 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: thinking about going to college - December 8th 2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
My current major is chemical engineering. Maybe I can help you out.
Engineering is a difficult field to get into unless you graduate from a good college. A bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering requires some basic classes of chemistry, biology, and computer programming, as well as a large amount of math and physics classes. Then, you take a lot of classes related to circuits and machines and what not. But you will take a ton of physics, and a ton of math.

If your math is at a sixth grade level, you probably have taken algebra? To graduate with a bachelors in engineering (associates will not get you a job), you probably need to take up to multi-variate calculus. So, for me, this has been my path since sixth grade(?)...

Algebra
Geometry
Algebra 2
------high school
Advanced Algebra
Trigonometry
Advanced Algebra
Pre-Calculus
Calculus 1
------college, freshman year
Calculus 2
------college, sophomore year
Multivariate Calculus
???

I'm taking Calculus 2 right now in my freshman year of college. I plan on taking Multivariate next year.
actuall i never did learn alegbra.. still dont understand it when i see my cousin do it i think all that math would do me in..... time to go back to looking at some pamplets of different courses :

(#19 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: thinking about going to college - December 8th 2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverFeltThisWay1991 View Post
Math is a hard thing to learn, not everyone can easily pick up on math. But I am glad to hear that you are wanting to go to school.

Probably more than one person has said this, but don't just go into criminal justice if it gets you out of doing math. If you want something enough you really have to work at it. From what i read it sounds more like you want to do engineering more than the criminal justice, so you will just have to work at it. Getting a tutor will help, and focusing on learning the math will help you alot.

As for telling your family. It's your life, i learned that the hard way during my first year of university. All my family had ever told me all my life is that I would make an excellent doctor, so I was determined to make my family happy and do that. But going to university i realized that I didn't wanna be a doctor but to teach science in high school. It's what I want to do and want I plan on doing. It took a while for the family to all understand my choices but they have... (its been almost a year and my dad finally stopped harassing me about my choice)

I think that its good that you are "thinking" about going. And I agree not everyone needs to go to university...

Good luck, send a pm if you have any question (i have learned alot about universities all over, even if i am from canada :P )
thanks.. im actually looking into a couple different courses now... criminal justice really just wasnt so i wouldnt have to do math it sorta strikes my interest also on a few levels..

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: thinking about going to college - December 8th 2010, 08:10 PM

Why don't you take a vocational test to see where you stand on your interests and so on? School usually offer them.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: thinking about going to college - December 8th 2010, 11:48 PM

Your choice of a course should be less based on how easy you're gonna find it, and more based on what you honestly enjoy. You said you worked at a mechanic's garage or somethin (sry for being vague lol), Engineering sounds like something for you, but that's been gone over above. You gotta do some research yourself though, I don't myself know what courses are out there.

Rly, if you enjoy something your doing (even if it's apparently hard by average standards), you're going to find it much easier to find the motivation to do it than something else that might be regarded easier that you perhaps don't really enjoy. Trust me at this level it matters a lot finding your own motivation. At this age they don't put you in a straight jacket anymore with a timetable where you MUST attend or else, or homeworks you HAVE to do or your parents are called in.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: thinking about going to college - December 9th 2010, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
Your choice of a course should be less based on how easy you're gonna find it, and more based on what you honestly enjoy. You said you worked at a mechanic's garage or somethin (sry for being vague lol), Engineering sounds like something for you, but that's been gone over above. You gotta do some research yourself though, I don't myself know what courses are out there.

Rly, if you enjoy something your doing (even if it's apparently hard by average standards), you're going to find it much easier to find the motivation to do it than something else that might be regarded easier that you perhaps don't really enjoy. Trust me at this level it matters a lot finding your own motivation. At this age they don't put you in a straight jacket anymore with a timetable where you MUST attend or else, or homeworks you HAVE to do or your parents are called in.
i used to work at a agricultural/construction farm equipment dealer as a mechanic.. but i got hurt awhile ago on the job and while i didnt mind it i dont want to be in a wheelchair before im 50.... i been mostly doing side jobs for people on there equipment and family and friends cars :P

i just took a online career evaluation test.... it said id be best suited for industrial arts ...

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Re: thinking about going to college - December 9th 2010, 09:41 AM

Nevermind online test. Look through prospectus' and see any that interest you. You will have to open your mind a little and not just pick engineering.

However, if you DO want to do engineering, use the time between then and now to get some leverege and get a tutor. Maths isn't that hard, but you do need someone to explain it. (when i say maths i include algebra and geometry as its all one in Scotland)
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: thinking about going to college - December 9th 2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
i just took a online career evaluation test.... it said id be best suited for industrial arts ...
Online career tests are like running into a haystack and see which piece of hay sticks on your nose (if none do, try again). In other words, they're for fun and laughs only.

Since you like vehicles and mathematics has been an interest, why not try designing cars for the large car companies? Sort of like an architect but for cars. You'll need math there as well, maybe less than you would for engineering and a knowledge of car parts, which you already have. Looking at the list of math courses posted by Double X, I'd think you would need most of them. I had a friend in high-school who wanted to be an architect and work for his father's business, which was something with architecture and he had to take most of those courses. I was in a class with him that I don't think it's offered in all places but it's a course about 3-D mathematics, learning intersections of 2-D with 3-D objects, probability and other courses for physics and more math courses. So you'd learn a good amount of math and physics as you would for engineering. I do not know if there would be a lot of calculus courses or not for architecture or designing, I'd guess it'd be more for geometry and mathematics in 3-D.

You'd need to start off the same as for engineering by getting a tutor and learning more math.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

Re: thinking about going to college - December 9th 2010, 10:35 PM

I can't quite understand your logic.

You're maintaining your view that third level education is not necessary for a "decent living" yet after hurting your back during your profession as a mechanic you are turning to third level education. You are twenty years old and opted into a career that depended on your physical wellbeing as much as your skill as a mechanic holding the view that third level education is unnecessary, upon hurting your back you have given up on being a mechanic for third level education.

How is third level education not neccessary, following your actions?

This isn't deviating from your main post or creating a tangent as I do think you need to be clear in your mind about what you want to do, risks involved, and what you hope to get out of third level education. How are you going to use your third level degree/diploma and why do you want it?

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: thinking about going to college - December 10th 2010, 12:45 AM

Well, you could also start with the general courses such as English, psych 101, and maybe do the lowest level of math they offer to begin with.

It depends on how well you do since I know several people who transferred into Ohio State University from Owens Community College in Findlay for an engineering degree.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: thinking about going to college - December 10th 2010, 06:28 PM

Depending on your school they'll probably require some kind of math and english assesment test and then they can place you in the class that you can handle. You'll still have to do all the basic courses no matter what you decide to major in, so you can explore your interest with those, you might be surprised what you're drawn to.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#28 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: thinking about going to college - December 10th 2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
I can't quite understand your logic.

You're maintaining your view that third level education is not necessary for a "decent living" yet after hurting your back during your profession as a mechanic you are turning to third level education. You are twenty years old and opted into a career that depended on your physical wellbeing as much as your skill as a mechanic holding the view that third level education is unnecessary, upon hurting your back you have given up on being a mechanic for third level education.

How is third level education not neccessary, following your actions?

This isn't deviating from your main post or creating a tangent as I do think you need to be clear in your mind about what you want to do, risks involved, and what you hope to get out of third level education. How are you going to use your third level degree/diploma and why do you want it?
not neccasary since i could still continue the field im in if i wanted and still do working on the side.......no one needs college to make a decent living i made a pretty good one for awhile...

but meh recent events past couple days have made me think otherwise about going to college .....

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: thinking about going to college - December 14th 2010, 10:56 PM

I know at my community college you have to take a placement test before they let you take any classes and put you in whichever class you gain into so you should probably talk to a counselor and then go from there about your options.

Closed Thread