TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
GleeLover514 Offline
<3
Not a n00b

Finals - December 15th 2010, 12:00 AM

So this is my first ever week of finals and it sucks. I don't think I've ever been more stressed. The two things that are stopping me from going insane are chocolate and knowing that when finals are done I get two weeks away from school.
(This is mainly just good/bad things to let off a bit of steam, so if you don't want to read it that's fine.)
On the plus side, yesterday I got part of my French final out of the way because we had to get an oral exam so our teacher could see if we were saying things correctly. She said that I did great, so it boosted my self confidence a little bit. But then again, French isn't my biggest problem area.
Biology has been horrid. My teacher refuses to give out study guides and said to use the tests to study. At least he's giving us answer keys to correct them otherwise I would be screwed.

Does anyone have any ways to remember stuff easier? I know about mints (in fact I have a huge tub of soft mints sitting next to me right now ) and a friend of mine said that if you wear a specific lotion when you study and you wear it again when you're testing you remember what you studied before based on the scent.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Finals - December 15th 2010, 01:10 AM

For formulas and things like that as well as facts using flashcards can sometimes be a good idea.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
GleeLover514 Offline
<3
Not a n00b

Re: Finals - December 15th 2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love dogs View Post
For formulas and things like that as well as facts using flashcards can sometimes be a good idea.
Kk, thank you very much

(#4 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Finals - December 15th 2010, 04:05 PM

I've never heard anything about mints...or the lotion. There is something called context-dependent memory, which may be what your friend is referring to. You are more likely to recall information when you're in the same atmosphere in which you acquired it. State-dependent memory and mood-dependent memory are also common topics of discussion, which state that you are most likely to recall information when you're in the same emotional state and same mood, respectively.

As per your question, there isn't a 'right' way to study. Biology is a lot like psychology and mathematics, I find. For those subjects, I spend a lot of time reading over the chapters that will be present on my exam. I find that taking textbook notes is very helpful. From those textbook notes, I rewrite my own notes (these must be hand-written). I also make a large list of all of the 'key terms' present within the area in which I am required to study.

You need to find a way that works best for you. If I were you, I really wouldn't focus your time on the whole superstitious special lotion/mints shenanigans. You won't do well/remember everything because you wore a special lotion or ate a few mints. You'll do well if you put in the time and effort to study.

SUP BRO.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Finals - December 15th 2010, 08:14 PM

In university, I did some mentoring for first-year biology students, and one of the things that was often hard for them is linking various concepts together. For example, if you're studying, say, kidney function, you'd have to know how it is involved in controlling your breathing by integrating organ systems and by knowing how the detailed mechanisms can work across systems. Flow charts I find are the best for this as they're the easiest if you're doing this. When I make flow charts for this, I don't make them go into details, that's for separate flow charts. I don't know what you're currently studying so perhaps those examples were of not much use but each time you have to know mechanisms of a system or process, flow charts are great, whether it's mitosis or heart function. Before any of this can be done though, I make hand-written notes, read over them a few times and then re-write them but I write what I am still unsure on, so my notes can be more condensed, so it's easier to make flow charts.

I use these methods for other courses as well such as psychology and criminology.

If you have questions on biology, feel free to ask. I'm doing various third-year biology courses mostly in neuroscience but have studied in some other areas of biology. Other members on here also are biology majors, either in neuroscience or in other fields.

For mathematics, it's just practice over and over so when you see certain elements of a question, you know effective and correct ways to approach it.

Things like history or English... well I cant be of much use there as in high-school (which I'm assuming you're in), I got low grades of around 70-78%.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
kitkat_kate Offline
Average Joe

Name: Katie

Re: Finals - December 16th 2010, 04:05 AM

You've gotten great study tips already. Finals are truly stressful...as a college student, I can attest to that. I've been through it far too many times. However, they're manageable if you just sit back and breathe a little bit. My biggest piece of advice for finals week is to prioritize and stay organized.

I make a to-do list for each class, then prioritize the classes. After that, I prioritize the sub-categories within each class list. Then, I make a full schedule in my planner of what to study when, complete with study breaks and rewards that I can give myself if I get through that. Like, today, when I completed my music history final - which had been one of my biggest concerns - I gave myself an hour to sit back and play Wii. Which was huge, because I try super hard to leave it turned off during finals week.

It's important to take breaks regularly (your mind will overload if you don't) and take good care of yourself. All-nighters are the worst. Sleep well, eat right, breathe, take breaks, and remember that, generally, a final won't make or break your grade. The most finals can generally do is adjust by a letter grade.

Best of luck! I know you'll do fantastic!

i am not my scars and my history
i am, i am, i am who i am...i am who i am.
there are true things inside of me;
i have been afraid to see.

Send a message via MSN to kitkat_kate Send a message via Skype™ to kitkat_kate 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
GleeLover514 Offline
<3
Not a n00b

Re: Finals - December 16th 2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat_kate View Post
You've gotten great study tips already. Finals are truly stressful...as a college student, I can attest to that. I've been through it far too many times. However, they're manageable if you just sit back and breathe a little bit. My biggest piece of advice for finals week is to prioritize and stay organized.

I make a to-do list for each class, then prioritize the classes. After that, I prioritize the sub-categories within each class list. Then, I make a full schedule in my planner of what to study when, complete with study breaks and rewards that I can give myself if I get through that. Like, today, when I completed my music history final - which had been one of my biggest concerns - I gave myself an hour to sit back and play Wii. Which was huge, because I try super hard to leave it turned off during finals week.

It's important to take breaks regularly (your mind will overload if you don't) and take good care of yourself. All-nighters are the worst. Sleep well, eat right, breathe, take breaks, and remember that, generally, a final won't make or break your grade. The most finals can generally do is adjust by a letter grade.

Best of luck! I know you'll do fantastic!

Thanks
I stayed as relaxed as I could today for the 4 that I already took. I think I did okay in biology, only in one column it was all c's and d's which made me paranoid until I talked to some other people and they said the same thing happened to them. Most of it we did see on the tests before, so I'm glad I studied so hard for it. I went to sleep a half an hour earlier last night and skipped my morning shower to have enough time for breakfast (I take really long showers xD) and that helped alot too.
I'm going to have to schedule things more next semester though, I mainly just studied from the time I got home to the time I went to sleep this whole week (With dinner and a shower mixed in somewhere). Now I'll know what I can do better to not go insane for finals.

Closed Thread