TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Adipose Offline
Not a n00b

Name: me

are my grades ok? - December 24th 2010, 06:15 AM

i have 3 b's (all in the 85-87 range) 1 a and 2 c's (both about 78). are my grades bad? im in 10 grade. my goal in life is to go into a community college for 2 years then to a reg college for 4 years. my dad visits colleges all the time becuase of his job so hes great in this. but i feel as if my grades... suck. i mean my friend has all a's and is in honors (hes in 9th grade) and my other friend has like an f. (same grade). im a big gamer but also spend hours studying but it never helps. ive had a tutor in math and that helped. (btw i have a b in math so im ok there)

so are my grades ok? (im working REALLY hard on those c's)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: are my grades ok? - December 24th 2010, 06:24 AM

Your grades are average. To get into a four year school, they are going to look at high school transcripts and community college transcripts. So, I would say get your grades up a bit. However, your grades are not bad, and they are actually pretty good. Just get the C's up.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
LostTeen011 Offline
Blah :P
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Noelle

Re: are my grades ok? - December 24th 2010, 07:07 AM

Yeah those are about average, btw what's your gpa?

Pure Imagination

"Music is the universal language that connects the world as one" -LostTeen011

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: are my grades ok? - December 24th 2010, 08:22 AM

It depends on your future major and which college or university that you plan on attending. If you plan on becoming a lawyer, then you'd probably want to go to a REALLY nice university...however really nice universities cost a lot of money, and they don't accept everyone. But if you're not doing something in the future that requires like a 4.0 GPA, then you're perfectly okay. It's pretty average grades and would only be a problem if you're failing the classes, but it all depends on what you're doing in the future as a career. However, you should at LEAST have A's and B's regardless of what future university you want to go to.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: are my grades ok? - December 24th 2010, 03:27 PM

You should look at the freshman profile of the specific colleges that you want to go to and see what their highschool GPAs are (in addition to test scores and other things). If your GPA is not as high as the GPA of the freshman profile (they usually give a range, and you will want to be in the middle or upper end of that range ideally), you are going to want to work to get it there so that you have a good chance of getting in.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: are my grades ok? - December 24th 2010, 05:23 PM

It depends on which college you plan to attend. Different ones have different GPAs they want. However, in addition many offer conditional admission which is basically letting you in on probation. If you meet a certain requirement by the end of the term (usually have a certain GPA you get off probation. Other wise you are either on there again or are kicked out.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: are my grades ok? - December 24th 2010, 07:05 PM

I'm sure you still have time to improve your grades. They're definitely not bad and you should be proud that you're doing well in just about everything. Just focus on bringing those C's up and I think you'll be fine. Good job.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: are my grades ok? - December 25th 2010, 04:51 AM

I would look into how you are studying. If it is not helping, then you may be studying the wrong way for you. Are you better at reading a book? Do you do better recalling lecture material? Are you more hands on? Do you need someone to explain it to you?

Some stuff I did better if I found videos on the web while others I just needed to read my books.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: are my grades ok? - December 25th 2010, 05:05 AM

You're in grade 10 so those grades aren't going to matter as much compared to grades in grade 11 and 12. Having a higher average would be ideal but since the lowest grades are around 78%, it's not that bad. I'd consider it around average, maybe above average but what colleges and universities will look at is the courses you took. If it is a C in a very difficult course, it doesn't look that bad but if it's a C in an easy course for a field you plan to go into, that doesn't look good at all.

Colleges and universities vary on the average they want depending on the programs you plan to enter. If you wanted to enter health sciences and had those same grades in grade 12, it'd depend on the courses the C's were in. If they were for biology and chemistry, then I say good luck getting in. Look up the average wanted for the particular programs since no one university or college uses a single average to enter for an undergraduate (Associate's or Bachelor's) degree.

For improving the C's and B's, it depends how you learn the best. Try to apply the methods to math tutor did to those courses that you have C's in. Also, ask friends for help because if you help them in return, that's something people like and will continue with especially in university and college. If a friend is getting an A in a course that you're getting a C in, ask that friend because they understand the material and apply it successfully.

If there are specific questions, you can use these forums as many people on here are in high-school, college, or university, and some are in medical school or graduate school for their master's. In doing so, also give some background as to the detail of knowledge your course has.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#10 (permalink)) Old
LostTeen011 Offline
Blah :P
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Noelle

Re: are my grades ok? - December 25th 2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
You're in grade 10 so those grades aren't going to matter as much compared to grades in grade 11 and 12.
Well your gpa is an average of your grades from 9-12 so it does matter.

Pure Imagination

"Music is the universal language that connects the world as one" -LostTeen011

(#11 (permalink)) Old
ColorGuardChick Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: are my grades ok? - December 25th 2010, 05:53 PM

your grades are pretty good. just work on getting those c's up, and keep doing your best so you'll be ready for 11th and 12th grades.

Need a hug? I have the arms.
Need to vent? I have the ears.
Need advice? I have the voice.
Need to cry? I have the shoulder.
They're open for you.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: are my grades ok? - December 25th 2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTeen011 View Post
Well your gpa is an average of your grades from 9-12 so it does matter.
Yes but when your transcripts are examined, the individual marks in grade 12 matter more than the marks from grade 10.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: are my grades ok? - January 1st 2011, 01:17 PM

I had around the same grades in 9th and 10th, if not worse. I got rid of most of the Cs in 11th. And had straight As all year in 12th (almost all electives haha) So no. 9th and 10th don't matter that much, especially if you bring your grades up next semester/the next few years. Even though it is part of your gpa, community colleges really aren't hard to get into. I'm sure you'll be fine, I got into a state university (a very good one, and my choice. I also got into an expensive private).
Just look into the school you wanna go to. But no, your grades are not bad.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#14 (permalink)) Old
latifunda Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: are my grades ok? - January 2nd 2011, 09:29 PM

Community colleges usually accept anyone and college nowadays care more about extracurricular activities than grades, so yeah they're fine, unless you're relying on scholarships to pay for college.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
CitizenErased Offline
Erase all the memories
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Aidan

Re: are my grades ok? - January 3rd 2011, 11:52 AM

I think you're grades are fine. And at the end of the day, theres only so much you can do. As long as your trying your hardest, then thats all that matters. And getting good grades arent gonna make or break you, so dont worry about it

HelpLINK Mentor:
27/12/2010

LiveHelp Operator
04/01/2011

Wash me away
Clean your body of me
Erase all the memories
They will only bring us pain
And I've seen all I'll ever need

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Adipose Offline
Not a n00b

Name: me

Re: are my grades ok? - January 5th 2011, 02:12 AM

thanks for all the replys.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Fly Away From Here
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sami-Kait

Re: are my grades ok? - January 5th 2011, 03:59 AM

Those grades are about average. Get the C's up if you can and you'll be doing fine. Colleges don't look at JUST your grades, they look at the type of course the difficulty of the course as well as involvement. Get involved both inside and outside of school. Universities want students who are well-rounded. A student who has straight As in all AP classes, but doesn't do anything outside the classroom doesn't look as good as a B student taking the same classes but involved in clubs, volunteer work and a job. Find things you like and get involved in them.
  Send a message via AIM to In The Arms of an Angel  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: are my grades ok? - January 6th 2011, 12:26 AM

The OP seems pleased with the answers he got, so I'm going to go ahead and close this.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

Closed Thread