TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
swimdive94 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rosy

Starting new school, nervous - December 24th 2010, 07:17 PM

I'm starting a new school soon and im really really nervous. What are someways to start off with a good reputation, meet friends, and not feel like a total outcast. I want to have a good first impression. Help please?

"You're just a memory that's not a part of me"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Skatergirl Offline
Skater for life
Average Joe

Re: Starting new school, nervous - December 27th 2010, 11:50 PM

Keep your head up and smile!
Sorry don't know what else to say. Never been to school myself.

I try my best to help, but that doesn't always mean I will be helpful.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Perplexity Offline
Per sempre <3
I've been here a while

Name: Shaz

Re: Starting new school, nervous - December 28th 2010, 12:27 PM

Hey there,

I started college this year and I didn't know anyone there either, so I do understand how you're feeling. At some point most of us have felt this way - especially when you start a job. Normally we won't know anyone there either, so see this as preparing you for situations like that in the future. I promise in time, the more new people you meet, it will get easier. I know you feel nervous about starting this new school and that's completely normal.

When you start somewhere new, no one knows anything about you, your past, etc. You can be whoever you want to be. It's important to be yourself. Don't try to be anything you're not, just be you. People will like you for who you are and if they don't, are they really worth it? Let people get to know the real you.

Another thing is that when you want to talk to new people, you can't always expect them to come over first. In my classes, if there was a free seat near someone, I would ask if I could sit near them and I would introduce me to them. Before you know it, you're halfway through a conversation with them. That's how friendships can be made. Also, you never know - they might not know/talk to any people in the class either. They might want to talk to you as well, but are too nervous. It happens. I know the first time you go over to someone new it's pretty scary, but it gets easier.

I know in class there's not always time to talk to people, due to the teacher, etc. However, if there is some clubs at your new school, you could think about joining one of them. At my college I'm part of the world cinema club, where we'll watch and discuss films. We're all there for the same reason, so it's fun. It's a great way to get to know people, who may even share the same interests with you! Conversations seem to run smoother when you're talking about things you've both got in common, I feel.

Lastly, I know you're nervous about meeting new people at the new school, but at the end of the day you're going to school to learn and study. However, making friends is part of the experience. You can do this. In time it will get easier, trust me. Just remember to smile and go for it!

I'm here if you ever want to talk. VM/PM me anytime. <3

Closed Thread