TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Harley Quinn Offline
Average Joe

Lack of Concentration? - December 25th 2010, 09:39 PM

Ever since my guess on which the depression started, I've had trouble concentrating and school has gotten harder.
In 4th grade, I even stopped doing homework.
With minimally trying, I have 4 A's and 2 B+'s (Science and P.E.) I've avoided homework and done it when there's a rush. But now, it's winter break and I have loads of extra credit to do.
I can't force myself to do it, and I can't do it all in one night like other things! I have to read an entire book that doesn't make sense! I used to be a good reader, but last night, when I tried to read the book, the words flowed off the page, like I was an idiot in a TV show!
I can't read the book, and I don't know why! Over the past year, my reading level has dropped from 12.8 to 10.1, but come on! I thought it was just because I rushed the test!

Am I becoming an idiot? Am I becoming a school hater who gets straight C's?
How can I fix it?! AGH.

I hope you're having a spectacular day!

You can PM/VM me about anything.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
L.O.V.E. IS??
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kelly

Re: Lack of Concentration? - December 26th 2010, 12:20 AM

I think your just overwhelmed because you've gotten so use to that pattern of not doing anything and not keeping up with the reading that you've just lost motivation. You should start doing the work little steps at a time each day and get back into the groove of things and with the book just take your time reading it like dont read it when you're too tired , read it when you have enerygy and such. I hoped this helped you . Let me know if you need anything else. You can pm me if you'd like.

Some things are beautiful because they are un-obtainable <3

'A dream is what you desire if anything and everything is possible.'

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicole

Re: Lack of Concentration? - December 26th 2010, 04:48 AM

Regardless, a 10.1 reading level is extremely high for a 13 year old. You're entering your teenage years, and it can be a time in your life where concentration is the hardest. You have so many changes going on in your life, emotionally and physically. It's difficult to focus with all that goes on from the time you hit 12 or 13.

I've found myself having the same problem as you. My freshman year of high school I had straight A's, then I got a B in Algebra 2 my sophomore year. I blamed the internet. I started to become addicted to the internet and I found myself doing my homework at 1 AM. Before then I'd always do my homework right away when I got home from school.

I'm afraid that history is going to repeat itself. I have a 4.0 right now in college. Last term the minute I got home, I did my homework. I'm finding myself procrastinating again, and I need to kick it early.

It's difficult to motivate yourself when there are so many distractions. I used to love to read, then around 13 (your age) I stopped reading before I went to bed. Now, if I lay down with my book in hand, I'll fall asleep. It's difficult for me to focus, I don't have the attention span I had when I was 11 or 12. Then again, my sophomore year I flew through the Twilight series, and I'm not even a Twilight fan now.

I can't really tell you not to worry about it, but know you're not alone and you're most certainly not an idiot. I think you're very intelligent still having a 10.1 reading level. And just so you know, those tests aren't always so accurate. They aren't a measure of your intelligence at all. It probably dropped slightly because you rushed through it, which tends to happen as you get older. You rush more and you don't focus on the detail.

When I'm struggling with concentration and I absolutely need to concentrate, here are some steps I take:

- Turn on the radio or iTunes. This may or may not work for you. Personally, I focus best with music on.

- Turn off the television. While I focus well with music, TV is only a distraction.

- Take a warm shower or bath. Whenever I have writer's block, I always want to jump in the shower. The best ideas always come to me when I'm in the shower. It relaxes and empties your mind, so you can concentrate.

- Eat a healthy snack; fruit, vegetables, with a big glass of water usually do the trick.

- Turn off the cell phone, or turn it on silent. Texting can be one of the biggest distractions nowadays.

- Log off Facebook! This is a big one; you're not going to get anything accomplished with random chat windows flying all over the place.

Hopefully some of these tips will work for you, best of luck.

"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Lack of Concentration? - December 26th 2010, 05:51 AM

No, you're becoming a perfectionist who is perfectionistic to the extent that it is counterproductive. Your reading level didn't actually drop. You just had trouble with the test at that time.

You lack of concentration is one aspect of depression. High levels of excitatory neurochemicals with relatively low levels, maybe insufficient levels, of inhibitory neurochemicals.

You need to destress- significantly. I'm open to giving suggestions if you want them.

As for the book, why not be lazy and sparknotes it?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicole

Re: Lack of Concentration? - December 26th 2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream View Post
Don't do this. Because for one, if you're going to be tested over it, usually teachers will go to Sparknotes and specifically base tests on questions that Sparknotes doesn't cover. Trust me, Sparknotes hardly covers half of the important stuff in the book. It's okay to use Sparknotes when you really don't understand something in the book. I had to use it for Huckleberry Finn because the book was so darn boring and it was nearly impossible to understand for me.

It's best just to read the book and use Sparknotes as a "clutch."

"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

(#6 (permalink)) Old
My_Hero Offline
Lil' Rocker Chick 8)
Not a n00b

Re: Lack of Concentration? - December 26th 2010, 09:33 PM

Sounds like you're worrying a little bit too much about being as close to perfect as you can get.
Depression can def. decrease your ability to concentrate; but even so, your grades and reading level are really good. You're just overly stress. Take some time time to just chill and relax before you try to tackle a work load.
You don't have anything to worry about, really =)

We all need somebody to lean on <3
~I will survive, I will endure.
When the going's rough, you can be sure;
I'll tough it out, I won't give in. When I'm knocked down I'll get up again.
As long as my dream's alive, I Will Survive~

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Harley Quinn Offline
Average Joe

Re: Lack of Concentration? - December 27th 2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream View Post
No, you're becoming a perfectionist who is perfectionistic to the extent that it is counterproductive. Your reading level didn't actually drop. You just had trouble with the test at that time.

You lack of concentration is one aspect of depression. High levels of excitatory neurochemicals with relatively low levels, maybe insufficient levels, of inhibitory neurochemicals.

You need to destress- significantly. I'm open to giving suggestions if you want them.

1. I don't believe I'm close a perfectionist... I haven't even started the homework given over winter break, I'm just procrastinating and procrastinating. If I'm a perfectionist in your eyes, blame the parents for requiring straight A's or a beat.
2. The one thing that troubled me the most - SPARKNOTES DOESN'T HAVE IT! (Temper Tantrum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola View Post
Regardless, a 10.1 reading level is extremely high for a 13 year old. You're entering your teenage years, and it can be a time in your life where concentration is the hardest. You have so many changes going on in your life, emotionally and physically. It's difficult to focus with all that goes on from the time you hit 12 or 13.

I've found myself having the same problem as you. My freshman year of high school I had straight A's, then I got a B in Algebra 2 my sophomore year. I blamed the internet. I started to become addicted to the internet and I found myself doing my homework at 1 AM. Before then I'd always do my homework right away when I got home from school.

I'm afraid that history is going to repeat itself. I have a 4.0 right now in college. Last term the minute I got home, I did my homework. I'm finding myself procrastinating again, and I need to kick it early.

It's difficult to motivate yourself when there are so many distractions. I used to love to read, then around 13 (your age) I stopped reading before I went to bed. Now, if I lay down with my book in hand, I'll fall asleep. It's difficult for me to focus, I don't have the attention span I had when I was 11 or 12. Then again, my sophomore year I flew through the Twilight series, and I'm not even a Twilight fan now.

I can't really tell you not to worry about it, but know you're not alone and you're most certainly not an idiot. I think you're very intelligent still having a 10.1 reading level. And just so you know, those tests aren't always so accurate. They aren't a measure of your intelligence at all. It probably dropped slightly because you rushed through it, which tends to happen as you get older. You rush more and you don't focus on the detail.

When I'm struggling with concentration and I absolutely need to concentrate, here are some steps I take:

- Turn on the radio or iTunes. This may or may not work for you. Personally, I focus best with music on.

- Turn off the television. While I focus well with music, TV is only a distraction.

- Take a warm shower or bath. Whenever I have writer's block, I always want to jump in the shower. The best ideas always come to me when I'm in the shower. It relaxes and empties your mind, so you can concentrate.

- Eat a healthy snack; fruit, vegetables, with a big glass of water usually do the trick.

- Turn off the cell phone, or turn it on silent. Texting can be one of the biggest distractions nowadays.

- Log off Facebook! This is a big one; you're not going to get anything accomplished with random chat windows flying all over the place.

Hopefully some of these tips will work for you, best of luck.
:\ Thanks. Facebook is a definite turn-off, but I still can't force myself to do it. I can't force myself to do my homework until I really and truly have to. And this time, over Winter Break, it can't work like that.
I'd rather sit in bed and contemplate my inability to just do it than just doing it. And I can't do it.

I hope you're having a spectacular day!

You can PM/VM me about anything.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
L.O.V.E. IS??
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kelly

Re: Lack of Concentration? - January 2nd 2011, 01:06 AM

If you say you can't do it your making yourself believe that you can't do it. You have to believe you can do it then you'll feel soo much better !

Some things are beautiful because they are un-obtainable <3

'A dream is what you desire if anything and everything is possible.'

Closed Thread