TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BluePoison Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sark

Question Online School - January 4th 2011, 10:05 PM

Well, I have not talked to my family about this yet but I have talked to my boyfriend and have thought about it alot. I have tons of websites bookmarked and a serous pro/con list already. I want to get out of the public school I am in and do online schooling. I am in the 10th grade. I hate the school I am in right now. I feel outcasted 6 hours a day and since I have no friends, I dont see the point in being there. I space out in classes because I just feel that there is no reason for me to be the class envirnment where I feel bad about myself everyday. I get destracted in one class, because my teacher does not know how to control the people in there so we do not learn. My school is full of people into drugs and what not. I feel like if I do these things then I may fit in. But I have not done anything because I know it is wrong. I just want to be able to learn at my home and be able to hang out with friends in a different way. I am scared to talk to my parents about this because it sound stupid in my head. Though my boyfriend thinks I am not and I should talk it through with them. I have a pro con list that shows more pros than cons. I have looked on the internet and saw that my list matchs alot of the lists that I have found. Only I have more pros. I am not sure if looking at all of this, I am just seeing what I want to see. A way out of a place that makes me feel like a waste of life.

Please, tell me what you think of online schools and my situation. Thank you

|| BluePoison ||

(#2 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Online School - January 4th 2011, 10:24 PM

Hey, Poison! I'm actually doing the online school thing right now for basically the same reasons you want to, and I love it. It may not work for everyone, but it's sure as hell working for me. I log on for an hour every day. Our teacher gives us a spoken-word instruction period then we have around an hour of homework. And of course, we can always go into the branch of the school that the program is run out of if we need extra help with something. Also, you learn a lot more and get through work faster because there's no distractions. It's awesome. I've had a lot of people say to me that it isn't 'real school', but I disagree. It's real school. It's exactly what school is supposed to be--straight up learning. No lies, no bullshit, no drama. Just the work. I'd say go for it. What have you got to lose?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Online School - January 4th 2011, 11:58 PM

I would look into seeing if you can do a dual-enrollment or a post-secondary options program. It's where you attend college for "dual" enrollment. I know several States have that program. I attended classes both on campus and I did have a single online class when I was going to that university.

It was beneficial because I still could talk to people but it was at the college level. Some of the classes will have jokers on it, but the majority of them were a lot better than the standard high school classes.

There also weren't limits on the types of classes you could do. You could study a language, math, science, dance, whatever. However, you still needed to have the minimum classes for graduation such as 4 credits for English, 3 for math, and so on. The high school had a conversion for college credits to high school credits.

Future Medic and Infectious Disease Nurse. Current EMT-B and Volunteer Fire Fighter.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
latifunda Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Online School - January 8th 2011, 05:30 PM

The typically high school environment is in one word poisonous- you're forced to wake up early to go to school for 8+ with other kids that are frustrated that they're in the same situation as you so some of them will eventually will take it out on other students in the form of bullying.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting out of that environment because it's simply not conductive to learning.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Online School - January 9th 2011, 10:46 AM

I think it can be a good route if the atmosphere is only producing harm. I remember from talking with high-school guidance counsellors and admission officers at university that seeing lots of online courses doesn't go particularly well because they are viewed as being easier than average high-schools. Taking a few courses is fine but if you begin getting very high marks from online schools compared to much lower marks from when you were in classrooms, that suggests inflated marks from an easier school. It could just as well mean the classroom school was shit and the online one was better but those who I've talked to, hold both views yet some are skeptical. I'd look into the universities you'd want to go to and ask them about this. Guidance counsellers sometimes are useless bumps on a log but if yours is useful, then ask him/her.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread