TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

What Are Your Favourite Fields of Biology? - January 28th 2011, 05:58 AM

The title sums up the thread. Perhaps it could go under chit-chat, could work there.

Whether you're in high-school, community college, college, university, graduate school or practicing a career involved in doing biological work or teaching biology, what are your favourite fields of biology? I thought of making a poll but I figured people will have multiple favourites as do I so just write the favourite fields. To ensure one includes their favourite fields and not list every field known to humankind, write the top 5 favourite fields. If you don't have 5, that's fine, write however many you got. Try to be specific, so if it's a type of medicine then state that type. Also, include a sentence or two about why you like that field. It can be listed in random order (unless you want to list it in order).

1) Neurology/neuroscience. It's my top favourite because this one organ is capable of doing so many complicated processes, changing its regional function through childhood development and is the organ that allowed for complex life. It can recover from severe injury without needing surgery making it seem so durable yet a small tap can send it haywire. It also controls so many other body regions directly as well as indirectly.
2) Marine biology. I haven't really mentioned this much on TH as I ramble about neurology and neuroscience, but I find it fascinating how some organisms can be perfectly fine in such deep parts of the ocean bearing ridiculous amounts of pressure yet we, as humans, thought of as the most intelligent animals cant manage to go even 1/10th of the way without proper gear. I'm not as interested in whales and dolphins although they are part of marine biology, rather I'm interested in lots of the invertebrate marine organisms because it's something that's so hard to relate to when you look at an organism with a liver, heart, gonads, intestine, anus, eyes, etc... but no bones.
3) Herpetology. This is a broad field so my main areas of interest are with Squamata (scaled reptiles), like crocodiles, Komodo Dragons, snakes, etc... . I find this field unique because it's like looking at a dinosaur as it hasn't had to evolve significantly, at least some of its members. Birds are dinosaurs also but they don't have that appeal to me. For one, there's no use of poisons that some reptiles use, which deals with toxicology and pharmacology as a current area I'm studying in. I would want to get some of these reptiles or at least work near them in some way as a possible career route.
4) Evolutionary biology. I've taken third-year biology courses that had some research in them and it's been amazing to learn just some of this. Comparative anatomy and physiology in an evolutionary view is really amazing because you get to see how animals, including humans, developed. When you eat, you don't think how stomach formed or how the lungs formed, I don't either but it's something that's interesting to know how we came about.
5) Mycology & Entomology. I know these aren't the same areas but I cant decide the one I like better. Mycology I wasn't really interested in until 2nd year biology where it was intriguing how fungi have such complex life cycles and just their general appearance. Entomology I've been interested in as a result of other biology courses but I've never been one who was fearful of insects. I have done and am doing some courses of this and it's interesting how they function, such as how they make sounds but the sound waves are too large for them, they need special adaptions for it to work.

So, what are your top 5 favourites?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Re: What Are Your Favourite Fields of Biology? - January 28th 2011, 06:17 AM

Evolutionary biology, hands down number 1. I just find it fascinating, for more reasons than I can be bothered to ramble on about

I also find biotechnology interesting, the notion that we could have such control over the way living organisms are made up intrigues, and scares me at the same time.

And finally, Ecology. The way nature arranges itself into complex hierarchies, and how adaptable life can be interests me.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
FŁhrer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: What Are Your Favourite Fields of Biology? - January 28th 2011, 06:36 AM

Genetics, botany (O.o) and evolutionary are my favourite I'd have to say.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: What Are Your Favourite Fields of Biology? - January 28th 2011, 12:47 PM

Neurology/neuroscience for me

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: What Are Your Favourite Fields of Biology? - January 28th 2011, 11:40 PM

Neuroscience is my hands down favorite.. I had an incredible science teacher in middle school, his class had a huge impact on me and I definitely want to major in something neuro-related in college because of him. Genetics is a close second.

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: What Are Your Favourite Fields of Biology? - January 29th 2011, 12:53 AM

Probably marine biology and botany.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Freakshow Offline
Average Joe

Re: What Are Your Favourite Fields of Biology? - January 29th 2011, 07:27 AM

I second all the suggestions regarding neuroscience and neurobiology -- I fondly recall that the unit on the brain was my favorite part of my freshman year biology class, and probably even the highlight since I didn't enjoy the other aspects of biology nearly as much! I'm particularly interested in the way the brain handles language.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: What Are Your Favourite Fields of Biology? - January 29th 2011, 02:43 PM

HUMAN. Plants have finally fucked off out of my life and I could not be happier. Within human I specifically adorreee biochemistry and if we're going to get more specific respiration. Immunology blows my mind.

(RAH)≤ + (AH)≥ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)≤ + OOH + (LA)≤ = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: What Are Your Favourite Fields of Biology? - January 29th 2011, 03:32 PM

Umm, I like most really (even the plant stuff ) but...
Microbiology
Neurobiology
Immunology
Does Biomedical Science count as an area of Biology in itself? If not, Toxiciology is a specific area of it that interests me.

Yeahh, I love Biology

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: What Are Your Favourite Fields of Biology? - January 30th 2011, 10:47 AM

Neurobiology.
I take Psychology as well, so I like to thoroughly research the brain and mind, focusing on both theoretical and practical applications.

One million miles away...

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What Are Your Favourite Fields of Biology? - February 1st 2011, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity. View Post
Umm, I like most really (even the plant stuff ) but...
Microbiology
Neurobiology
Immunology
Does Biomedical Science count as an area of Biology in itself? If not, Toxiciology is a specific area of it that interests me.

Yeahh, I love Biology
Biomedical sciences encompasses many fields including microbiology, immunology, biochemistry.

I am more interested in Biomedical sciences, specifically biochemistry and molecular biology. That's also my focus in grad school.
  Send a message via AIM to Gram Negative  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fred

Re: What Are Your Favourite Fields of Biology? - February 1st 2011, 02:44 AM

I'll just name my three top picks for now. The rest I like pretty much equally, except for the taxonomy-related fields because they inexplicably bore me.

1. Biochemistry, no question about it! (As if my username and avatar weren't enough. ) I think it's absolutely beautiful how much explanatory power it holds, and how many basic "facts" memorized in high school biology can be explained by it. An incredibly, incredibly wondrous and pretty field.
2. Physiology! Physiology is absolutely fascinating. Evolutionary origins aside (I don't find them nearly as cool but still fairly interesting), the organs and organ systems of animals are simply breathtaking beyond belief. I could ramble on and on about how awesome our bodies are.
3. Medicine. Okay, not strictly a field of biology, but I've had exposure to medicine (as in, I've read about it) for eight or nine years now. This goes along with the whole physiology thing. It's also why I can't seem to get enough House (well, that and House himself).

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Irinya 
Closed Thread