TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dechass Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chassady

Unhappy Not quite sure this is for me anymore. - February 3rd 2011, 05:53 AM

I'm in my second semester of my sophomore year of college and I'm not sure this is for me anymore.

I'm always missing class and the sad thing is that this semester basically just started. Ugh, I'm so run down emotionally that I kinda don't ever feel like going. Makes me sad. Anyone feel like this? Got any ways of coping?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MissMatched Offline
Average Joe

Name: Shelley

Re: Not quite sure this is for me anymore. - February 4th 2011, 10:11 AM

If you came straight out of high school and went into college, or even if you didn't, that's totally normal.

How are we supposed to know what we want? I did 6 months of random classes I thought sounded good before I figured what I was actually going to do. I also started 18 months after I left highschool. You need time to get out in the world and gain experiences to help figure out who you are.

Most of the people I know in high school dropped out first semester and picked up a different course 6 months or a year later, and are happier now.

http://teddyeddieelley.blogspot.com/
When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl anymore, you find someone to carry you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Not quite sure this is for me anymore. - February 4th 2011, 04:01 PM

I felt like that when I switched from the university I was attending for high school to the one that I thought I had wanted to go to. I didn't like the courses I was in and I didn't like the city in general. When I switched back to my home town and found a program, I really liked, I did a lot better.

I would take a hard look at what you want to do in life and see if your major lines up with it. I was a psych major and I didn't like it as much as I like my nursing and fire courses.

Future Medic and Infectious Disease Nurse. Current EMT-B and Volunteer Fire Fighter.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Not quite sure this is for me anymore. - February 4th 2011, 05:12 PM

I'm the same ~ I'm in my second semester of second year and feel like what I'm doing isn't something I want to do with my life. I feel it's too late and expensive to drop out so I'll stick with it for another year and get the degree, but I know how you feel.
Is there an education officer you could talk to about possibly changing subjects?? If there's anything else that appeals to you more it's not too late to start over. You'll be much happier and it will be worth it.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Not quite sure this is for me anymore. - February 6th 2011, 04:35 AM

Hello there,

Everyone has made great suggestions - it definitely sounds like signs that you may wish to reconsider your subject or study - or, even take a break from school altogether. Take a year or two off - many people do this, it's not that much different from the common practice of deferring admission right after high school and travel for a year, or something like that.

However, sometimes those options are for whatever reason not a possibility, or even, not ultimately a desirable possibility. I am stuck in a perpetual love-hate (well, more so like-hate) relationship with my academic career right now. It's very frustrating, and I am definitely replying to this right now even though I have a midterm to study for, because I am so sick of staring at that material.

If that is the case - just keep in mind that what you are doing right now, will by no means determine your entire life path. Drastic career and even lifestyle changes are becoming less uncommon in these days - and nothing says that you can't go on to do something completely different with your life after getting the degree. It is there, although you have to get through this first.

At the end of the day, every experience of challenge and struggle helps us become better people. Nothing is ever truly pointless or in vain.

May you find your way.
Kaisada

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Hiraeth 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Not quite sure this is for me anymore. - February 7th 2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dechass View Post
I'm in my second semester of my sophomore year of college and I'm not sure this is for me anymore.

I'm always missing class and the sad thing is that this semester basically just started. Ugh, I'm so run down emotionally that I kinda don't ever feel like going. Makes me sad. Anyone feel like this? Got any ways of coping?
That happened to me when I was in my first year of uni. My marks was sagging, i missed some classes. i had plenty of doubt in my mind.

But i decided to focus on making allot of friends quickly by figuring out a strategy over the summer before the 2nd year start. I also try to study a head in advance. I bought new clothes that fit, matches properly, and ect.. I participated in class alot. Excerised alittled more to feel stronger.

I pretty much did a 360. My marks skyrockted and i felt better, I had a alot of support of friends. It lasted up to the end of year 2.

one year 3 i focus to much on being popular. whic was bad it made my marks low. On the 2nd half of the 3rd year i fixed my focus so it become more balanced and i got a B+ average up.

On my 4th year I was more disciplined. Made more friends but not too many. And my marks went up really high. B+'s A's and ect...

IMO making more friends is very important. It makes you feel more comfortable, and I also studied alot more, i studied a chapter a head on the harder courses.. So I can answer every question the prof askin advance. When i purchased my new outfits i did research on how to dress. i focused on colours and how colors match my skin and hair. Its the best thing i every done. Im a straight guy. But it helped me buy clothes faster, better and cheaper. I focused on more conservative clothes that i can wear to work in the future (which is now) so basicaly i bought polos and dress shirts that can be worn as a casual shirt. And I bought most of my clothes 50 to 60 percent off. Cuz i did enough research to understand when some high end stores have big mark downs.

Generally i focus on 5 important areas.

Color
Fit
style
Price
Material quality

If you want to "Reboot" your self and do a 360. try to do it next year. I think it works better.

Last edited by Tomb; February 7th 2011 at 11:58 AM.

Closed Thread