TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

View Poll Results: When applying for a job, is it more effective to go in person or apply online?
Online 4 36.36%
In person 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

I'm getting desperate. - February 4th 2011, 04:00 PM

I have a question about getting a job. I hope this is the right place to post this. Anyway, I have been looking for about a year now, and have found absolutely nothing. I have not even gotten an interview. I am currently in college, so I just need a simple, even minimum wage job. Anything. Going to college is getting expensive and my mom is cutting me off soon. On top of needing to pay for my expensense, I've picked up an expensive habbit of drugs, mostly Ice. Do not discourage me from the use of it please, but I will say that my guilty for using what little money I get from my mom and grandparnets on this stuff is eating me away and it may be enough to make me quit as fast as I started. I need to be able to take care of myself, thus a need a job. Anyway, enough rambling...

People have jobs like at Wal-Mart or Korger or even a privately own restruant. My question is how?? Is it better to go in person and talk to someone (although they always tell me to go online), or just to fill out an application online and send it in with my fingers crossed? Or, does everyone get jobs from having connections?

Are there any tips you guys with a job can give me to help me? Anything at all would be very helpful.

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: I'm getting desperate. - February 4th 2011, 04:09 PM

Warning on Wal-mart, they will drug test you regardless of what position. Every job I have worked at except for fast food has drug tested me. I usually apply online and they called me. There are certain times where you are more likely to get hired than not. Usually at the end of February, before summer, and in the fall. Right now it is kind of iffy.

Future Medic and Infectious Disease Nurse. Current EMT-B and Volunteer Fire Fighter.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I'm getting desperate. - February 4th 2011, 04:15 PM

I plan on not doing any drugs once I start sending out applications again, so by the time I get a call, I should be clean. It just means going back to old ways to cope which are still bad(self-harm).

So what your saying is the time of the year? Perhaps at the end of Feb. I could really put more time into it, or the start of Summer? I heard the start of the new year should have more jobs, but so far only my dad has gotten lucky, not me.

"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I'm getting desperate. - February 4th 2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWolf View Post
I plan on not doing any drugs once I start sending out applications again, so by the time I get a call, I should be clean. It just means going back to old ways to cope which are still bad(self-harm).

So what your saying is the time of the year? Perhaps at the end of Feb. I could really put more time into it, or the start of Summer? I heard the start of the new year should have more jobs, but so far only my dad has gotten lucky, not me.
I'm not sure how Wal-mart does drug screening but to be absolutely safe, quit at least 1-1.5 months before because using hair can show what has been ingested in the last month or so. I'm not sure if they will want to hire someone who self-harms.

Onto your question, most colleges have a career center so you could go to them and see what positions you can fill given what you're studying and whatever skills you have outside of academics. I worked at several private restaurants and you can apply online (if they allow it) or in-person. You also want to state the position you want, either in the kitchen or in the front. If you're in the front, you have to look very presentable so any evidence of self-harm must be covered up. In the kitchen, people still don't like it because there can be countless triggers but you could have the chance to pass it off as a work-related injury.

If you're going to go in the kitchen, the job you'll likely get is dish-washer. If self-harm is at the wrist to forearm area, damn near everyone in the kitchen will see it then. Dish-washers (which I've done) get the lowest pay of everyone in the kitchen so usually ends up being at minimum wage. If you show enthusiasm, skill and are liked, then you can move up to areas such as prep cook or depending on the restaurant, up to a cook. The fancier places will want to see you have a lot of cooking experience and have gone to a cooking school. Other places will want you to have cooking experience but maybe not have gone to cooking school. I worked as a cook in some restaurants although never went to cooking school but I do have lots of experience cooking.

Alternatively, you could try things like working at a clothing store, grocery store, day-care center, etc.. . When I went out the first time to get a summer job, I applied to whatever place there was, except clothing stores because I'm not so sure they'd want someone whose colour vision is shitty lol.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I'm getting desperate. - February 4th 2011, 07:45 PM

I'm really slick about covering them up. Years of practice, so I am not worried about being seeing my marks. I plan on quitting once I start sending in applications. I only smoke casually, just when I feel like I really need to. Hopefully I can pass any drug test though. But I am worried.

I have already tried at my school, but I am only a freshman, and everything they have available are for sophmores and up. I also plan to transfer for spring of next year which gives me less than a year now, and all the jobs there require you to be there for a full year. No cutting corners, and I can't do that for sure.

I have been applying everywhere, for anything. I had a job once for a year when I was 15 to 16. It was dealing with desk and computer work stuff. Kinda doing odds and ends for a private business. I was hoping to get an entry level job at an office seeing how I'd have a little bit of experience, but so far... nothing. Not even fast food places or clothes stores. I've tried them. I might try the bowling alley right up the street next.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I'm getting desperate. - February 7th 2011, 12:08 PM

Stop using drugs because of a job is kind of silly.

You should STOP using DRUGS PERIOD! Cut off your friends who give you drugs, use drugs and ect.. If you hang around with them u stop using them. Your friends will affect your life style. They wont be able to get u a good job. cuz they cant even pass the drug test.

Meet new people and be good friends with them. then u can get a good job. I networked... and i got a job 2 days after.

Closed Thread