TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicole

I Need a Job - February 14th 2011, 07:55 PM

The situation:

I'm 19, and I've never had a paying job (one that went in my pocket, that is). My father passed away when I was four, so for fifteen years I've been living off Social Security and his life insurance policy. My mom saved about half of his life insurance money for me, and I didn't touch it until I turned 18. That was a year ago.

Money is depleting quickly, and until now I've never needed a job. My mom told me when I was fourteen to "enjoy high school" and "don't worry about money." The thing is, I've always feared being poor. I've feared never having money, but at the same time my schooling was extremely important to me. I stayed involved in extra curricular activities, and I kept my grades up.

Now I'm on my own. I don't pay any bills. The only bill I would have is my cell phone, but it's on a family plan that my step-dad pays. I have a full tuition scholarship, providing my grades maintain, and all I have to pay for is housing, books, food, and any "extras." So far, I've ended up paying about $920 on trips for spring break and summer vacation. Now, some of that money is supposed to come back to me. $75 has already come back, and I'm supposed to get at least $300 back in May - if not more.

The only place I truly volunteered at during high school was the Humane Society. But it was unsupervised, and I came and went on my own hours. Other than that, I helped out with my sister's Girl Scout troop on occasion, and I helped my mom and her fellow teachers at her school.

In high school I participated in volleyball in ninth grade, swimming in tenth through twelfth, National Honor Society in eleventh and twelfth, Academic Decathlon in tenth through twelfth, and bowling in ninth through twelfth. I've never held any leadership positions in any of the groups I've participated in. I've always been a group member, and I've been a dedicated member. But I'm not much of a leader.

Since going to college, I've stayed an active member in groups. I'm a Historian - one who takes pictures - in one of my groups, and just a member in the others. One of my groups works regularly (pretty much every weekend) at the local events center. So I'm literally there every weekend. I've put in as much as 25 hours in a weekend. But still, it's not a real job.

I have friends who have applied and had a few interviews, but they haven't gotten the jobs. One of my friends has way more work experience. She's worked since she was fourteen, and she still hasn't been hired anywhere.

I'm a Media Communications major. I'll receive my associate's degree in Media Communications by May 2012, and my bachelor's in Business Administration by May 2013.

I just don't even know where to begin applying. I'd love to work in my field, but I won't have any experience whatsoever in my classes until next term. I'll be taking Digital Photography, Business Video, and Graphic Design.

I just feel like at this moment, I can't even begin to compete in the job market. It's like, if no one will give you experience, how do you get it?

I know that I've had an easier life than others. Things have been handed to me, and I should be grateful for that, and I am. I keep having reoccurring nightmares where there's not a single dime in my bank account, and I don't want it to become a reality.

Advice?

Also, to add, on February 26th I'm leaving for spring break. Is it worth applying for jobs now, or should I hold off until I get back? I'll be back March 4th.

"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I Need a Job - February 15th 2011, 04:26 AM

From my prospective...

Is that you should leaverage what you have now... and also cut expenses.

In university/college/community college they ussally have a career service center than can probaly give you better resume advice than anyone in this forum because they are paid to help you. You should also leaverage your voluneer exprience. Use them as your reference... also if you need more references you might want to use your instructor/professor.

To cut expenses. You should cut your cell phone plan. Also drop the Associates in Media Communications. In reality its not gunna help you that much when it comes to finding a job. Instead you should focus on your Bachelors of Administration... with a major in Accounting. You will increase your job prospects by a bunch. There is more internships for accounting. Generally a degree with more math is better(but avoid finance degrees unless you go to a top 25 school)

Why focus on accounting??? Well I Have a Bachelors Degrees in Accounting I got a job after 2 days I apply. I have only a 3.3GPA.

Im also pretty much lined up for a masters degree, while I work for my CPA (is like an accounting license) which is all paid by my employer.

Never get an associates degree when your goal is to save money and get a good education... when u can easily get a bachelors. And dont double major with a bachelors its such a waste of money.

Instead get a Masters Degree later.

The reason why I picked accounting is that I get a good job that pays me well after skool ends. between my masters degree... I get my CPA which gives me better return than my masters degree. However a Masters Degree in Administration opens doors to promotions and also other industries other than Accounting...

MBA + CPA = High salaries + Easy to find higher end jobs(even outside of accounting)

Bachelors n Accounting = easiest way to get in the business world as an intern or a graduate

CPA = Stepping stone for xp and a professional qualifcation and recognition that will get you a mba

Masters= Stepping stone to corporate managment or other fields of business

The reason why I lay out my strategy is to show you a good way to get good high paying jobs.

Alot of "marketing jobs" are low paying and hyper competitive. These lower paying jobs also requires you to come from a highend skool if you want a good job.

Sad Job stories
My brother in law is a trained graphic designer.. with a bachelors in graphic design... now he just sells clothes at a mall hes 28 years old and graduated in 05

A guy who graduate with high honours in a "fun" degree = international business also work in a retail store. That guy with high honours won an award from the school. He made a speach and ect... at graduation....

A popular girl who also graduted with high honors in marketing is working in a call center for a bank...

All the people that I know who graduated with an accounting degree... either works at a corporate office or they work in an a professonial accounting firm. Everyone i know who graduated in marketing... is either working retail (non manager), call center(non manager), unemployed... or still partying.

Last edited by Tomb; February 15th 2011 at 04:40 AM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicole

Re: I Need a Job - February 15th 2011, 11:06 PM

I don't pay for my cell phone, so...no, I'm not cutting it.

I'm finding Media Communications won't get me anywhere, and I hate math with a passion. I'm good at it, but I don't enjoy it, and I don't want a job that I'm not going to enjoy.

...and I'm already half-way through the program, it seems kind of dumb to change now.

If I were going to change my major, it would be to court reporting. But that's two hours of the steno machine plus all the other classes each night. And that's a program that only begins in the fall. So I'd be here for three more years instead of two. Though, I think I'm almost done with my general education classes now.

"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I Need a Job - February 16th 2011, 02:53 AM

Why get an Associates Degree when you can get a Bachelors degree?

U said u wanted a Associates and a Bachelors(BBA).

Associates and "Minors" are ussally worthless. Associates will lead you to a dead end job.

You should just get a bachelors degree and cancel the associates... its not gunna help at all. and you should save up for a masters degree...

Closed Thread