TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dreamer Offline
Regular TeenHelper

School... - February 22nd 2011, 07:11 AM

Hi!
I'm in my second (of three) year of high school, and therefore I'm starting to get rather stressed about where to go, and what to study, when I go to university. The two main things I'm concidering is either Journalism (which a lot of people do here, and there are a lot more journalists than jobs) or learn sign language and work with the deaf. Journalism has interested me for quite some time, and I've always loved writing. Sign language is something that I came to think of pretty recently, and it's something that I think I'd enjoy doing. But I'm torn between the two, and terrified that there's some job I haven't thought about that would be perfect for me!

Another problem is that if I want to study Journalism, I'll probably have to study at a big school in a big city, which is an idea that I'm not that thrilled about. If I were to study sign language, I'd have to go to a smaller school in the middle of nowhere, and pay a lot (yes, our school system might seem a little weird).

I do want to move out around the time that I start at university, but the thought of living all alone scares me as well. I'm a rather social person, and I want to have people around me. A roommate (or flatmate) would be nice, but since I'm probably not going to know anyone there, I'm not sure how that's going to work. And no, we're not asigned people to live with. Mostly everyone rents their own appartment...

So, help please! What do you think I should do?

P.s. I'm also concidering changing schools in the fall, since I can not take some of the classes that I want to take, at my current school. I have a few friends that I'd miss at my current school, but at the same time I really want to take those classes. What do you think?

If you want to; check out my poems and stuff under the "Self Expression"-forum.

You are BEAUTIFUL! <3

Always remember to smile!

Last edited by Dreamer; February 22nd 2011 at 08:22 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: School... - February 22nd 2011, 06:29 PM

Hey there!

Alright, first things first... a LOT of people change their majors/career paths while in college. I'm not sure how things work in Sweden, but in the US, it generally takes four years to earn your bachelors degree. The first two years are spent working on general education requirements (so you're taking a variety of courses along with stuff that's relevant to your major). During that time period, many students discover they have a passion for someone else, and choose to change their majors or minor in another subject. If your university system works in a similar manner, you could just take classes that interest you (ex. history), and if you feel a true calling to become a historian vs. something else, you will still have the opportunity to change your major!

Moving out of your hometown, living alone/with strangers for the first time, and (eventually) finding a job in a new city can be difficult transitions to deal with; however, I am confident that you can make things work! =) You still have time before graduating from high school, so here's what I would suggest you start doing. First, take a look at the career paths you're interested in (journalism, sign language interpreter, etc.). Next, get a feel for what those individuals do, how much they make each year, what the demand is for those sorts of positions, etc. You can find some of this information by looking it up online. After that (and I can't stress this enough), find people who are currently working in the field(s) you're interested in. This means you'll be contacting random people out of the blue... which may sound strange, but you'd be surprised as to how helpful they can be! And generally, if you explain you're a student and want to get into the field in the years to come, they'll be happy to sit down with you for a bit and talk about their lives as journalists, sign language interpreters, etc. Have some questions on hand (ex. how long did it take them to find their first job, what was the starting salary, what kinds of clients do they work with, what are their most/least enjoyable parts of the job).

Once you have decided on a career path, start looking at universities that offer degrees which will enable you to get into the work force. Some careers may require specific degrees, whereas others will not care if you have an unrelated degree (so long as you can show you have adequate experience in the field). For example, a journalist will probably need a certain degree, whereas a sign language interpreter may only need to demonstrate that they know sign language and have interned for 1+ years prior to graduating. If in doubt, don't be afraid to contact the universities' academic advising offices or relevant departments and ask questions!

Once you have picked your universities, start looking at housing options in the area. Chances are, more people share apartments than you realize (where I live, it's VERY expensive to rent a 1 bed/1 bath apartment on your own, so most people post "wanted" ads for roommates instead), and you'll have no problem finding a roommate. It's probably too early to start looking, but you can always keep an eye out for apartments that will be available upon graduation. You can also meet with your future roommate(s) in person, via Skype, etc. in order to determine whether or not you'd enjoy living with that particular person.

I wish you all the best! <3

Closed Thread