TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Let's celebrate!
(Click me to find out why.)
Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SamMarie Offline
Sam
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sam

What should be my profession? - June 29th 2011, 05:55 PM

I'm almost 17 and I'll be graduating next year. I've been trying to find the profession I want to be. I think I want to be a Nurse.. but I'm now realizing that I don't think I'm really good in Science in general. :/

Interests:
*Writing Creatively (I love using my imagination)
*Drawing (When bored)
*Video Games (Not good with Math though)
*Traveling (I like exploring the world)
*People (I like talking to different kinds of people)
*Paranormal (I like ghosts and the unexplained)
*Relationships (I love talking about love, dating, ect)
*Internet (I love being able to connect with the world and searching different things)
*Diseases (I like watching the Health Channel and knowing about them like the show Mystery Diagnosis)
*New things (I like new things all the time.. I don't want something that's the same all the time)

I just don't know what I want to be and time is running out before my eyes. Are there any professions anyone can recommend to me out of the interests I laid out?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: What should be my profession? - June 29th 2011, 06:18 PM

The only way to know is through experience. Graduation opens many doors, any of which you are free to walk through, for the most part - as a young person, you have enough mental and physical energy to just try out different things and take it easy. - Go to college or university and take a wide range of courses, work, travel, work and travel, volunteer, camp out at the library.... the possibilities are endless. Don't pressure yourself at all, if you can - rushing into something that turns out not to be right for you could turn out to be an unnecessary waste of time and money.

Right now, it may be useful to map out a general direction: will I attend a post-secondary institution right out of high school, or take some time off and see how I feel? Lots of folks change their program of study several times while in college or university, so there is still lots of time! It's totally legitimate to be open to several future plans that are all very different - besides, it's never too late to change course, even as an older person. Going toward one doesn't make the other ones impossible - whatever's meant to be will always find a way.

Good luck with everything.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Hiraeth 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SamMarie Offline
Sam
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: What should be my profession? - June 30th 2011, 01:52 AM

Thank you! I never thought of it like that. I hope my future goes well.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: What should be my profession? - June 30th 2011, 11:16 PM

If I were you (this is just me personally), I would apply to a college/university where they offer a wide range of programs. Since you don't seem to be good with science/math, I'd go for a liberal arts college. Go in undeclared and take whatever interests you. Or do community college and get some basic credits out of the way.

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: What should be my profession? - July 2nd 2011, 02:39 AM

Ill second what becca said, Go either Community college or a liberal arts college, the Community college will get the basic credits out of the way at a lower cost then going to a full on college, plus alot of them do have different programs for your interests, like the one in my city does have like 4 programs for making video games, just check out different ones and look at the course/degree book and either talk to the professor of the section you like or to the college adviser at the college.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
i am jack's smirking revenge
I've been here a while

Re: What should be my profession? - July 2nd 2011, 02:51 AM

Hey Sam,
I definitely think it would be a good idea to start looking at a list of programs that your community college may offer. It may give you a few more ideas of things that may interest you, a description of the job, prerequisites you may need, etc. College courses are generally very focused on a certain career, so if you are really interested in a specific one it's definitely a good place to go. They also do a lot more hands on, experience type learning.

Take a look at what the universities offer too. Since the topics are more broad, you don't need to know exactly what career you want when you go in. You just have to kind of have an idea of what direction you want for the future.

Anyways, in regards to more ideas of professions that fit your interests...like I said before, I think it would be helpful to go online and take a look through the college programs. Even if you don't plan on going to college, it may help you with thinking about careers more outside the box than the standard ones that people tend to think of off the top of their head.

Take care! :]

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: What should be my profession? - July 2nd 2011, 04:58 AM

Interests:
*Writing Creatively (I love using my imagination)

This could be a profession. You need a direction though. Just because you like using your imagination does not mean you are a good writer. For one you must be passionate about writing. You must have self discipline to be a good author, and you must have good describing skills. If you posess these. Being an author or at least publishing short stories for magazines or blogs is possible.

*Drawing (When bored)

Something you do out of boredom probably isn't something you can create a career off of. However possibly a cartoonist or illistrator if you honestly have drawing skills.

*Video Games (Not good with Math though)

I don't mean to insult you, but I made a noise like "Pfft, yeah right" when I read this. Many people like video games, and many want a career in it. However you must be good with coding and have a good memory, you must also be good under pressure to have a carrer in the gaming industry. If you aren't good in math or science this is probably a job best left a fantasy.

*Traveling (I like exploring the world)

You could do a travel colum for a newspaper. It involves traveling and writing stories about your travels. These articles are quite popular and could possibly get you a TV show someday. Not many people realize this is a serious career and it often gets overlooked.

*People (I like talking to different kinds of people)

Well any job invovles people. Even working in a morgue requires handling dead people. However a social worker of counselor (Like at a school or even in a firm), or human resource manager are great for people with people skills.

*Paranormal (I like ghosts and the unexplained)

Unless you want to be a horror director or have a chessey TV show I'm afraid you can't make a career out of this, unless you mean merchandising. People make millions every year off of Bigfoot and Winchestor House merchandise.

*Relationships (I love talking about love, dating, ect)

You mentioned you have people skills (Or at least you like people) being a matchmaker or working for a dating site are possible. They are real jobs.

*Internet (I love being able to connect with the world and searching different things)

Again, unless you know extensive binary, or have a good memory/fast learner. And you are good in math and science you probably can't be doing much other than working for dating sites, eBay or doing blogs. All websites need staff, however many need to know binary and php and phb (Or is it pbh?) to have much chance doing anything that can get a sole career that will ideally make you lots of money.

*Diseases (I like watching the Health Channel and knowing about them like the show Mystery Diagnosis)

As you said, you aren't good in science or math, and think you can't be a nurse. There is no way you can be a doctor or surgeon if nursing is too hard. I mean I don't mean to be harsh, but it's not really possible.

*New things (I like new things all the time.. I don't want something that's the same all the time)

Not many jobs will completely change daily, or weekly, or yearly. Many jobs remain somewhat similair to what you signed up for.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: What should be my profession? - July 2nd 2011, 01:47 PM

@JKmadu619 This is towards your comment on the career in video games, What you said is somewhat true ill admit that, But there are loads of different careers you can do for video games, Yes there are the programmer's that design the game from the software aspect, But there are also the script writers that write the story line for the game, There are also the concept artists IE the people who draw or paint the concept for what the characters/environment will look like. And there is the music aspect of the game.

So Sam if you keep up the creative writing aspect of your life you can always get hired by a video game company as the script writer.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
semiunbalanced Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimmi

Re: What should be my profession? - July 2nd 2011, 03:31 PM

I don't know about where you're located but from where I stand, community college is a really hard route to go. It's impacted and everybody is trying to get their basic credits out of the way so a two year community college turns into a 4 year. (I literally have a friend who graduated High School with my sister which was four years ago, went to community college and just got what she needed to transfer to a four year because all the classes were so impacted.)

Many of my friends went in undeclared (and when colleges accept applicants, some don't even LOOK at majors so this doesn't put you at any disadvantage at all) and didn't decide until Junior year of college what they wanted to do. You're not running out of time, trust me. A liberal arts college does sound like the way you want to go but that doesn't mean that you are completely restrained to just that. Some colleges don't even let you define a major until your Junior year so don't even worry! [: It's perfectly normal to not have any idea what you want to do, or even decide and then switch it later. You aren't being forced to make a decision that will make or break your future, so relax and have fun being 17! (:

(#10 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: What should be my profession? - July 2nd 2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jónsi View Post
@JKmadu619 This is towards your comment on the career in video games, What you said is somewhat true ill admit that, But there are loads of different careers you can do for video games, Yes there are the programmer's that design the game from the software aspect, But there are also the script writers that write the story line for the game, There are also the concept artists IE the people who draw or paint the concept for what the characters/environment will look like. And there is the music aspect of the game.

So Sam if you keep up the creative writing aspect of your life you can always get hired by a video game company as the script writer.
That was a very good point. But what I meant was many, many people want careers in gaming. It sounds too good to refuse. Your chances of actually getting in are pretty slim, and you can't design concept art without an idea of coding and what's possible. Concept artists also need to be able to code a basic idea of what they want, to give the coders a rough example. And about storyline writing, that's great, but the developers will also have their ideas, and unless you are in a big coporation like Bungie or Activision the indie games are generally thought up by the coders. So it is possible, but you have to expect to be shoed aside alot too. As cool as it sounds I think a lot of people are let down by what really happens inside of a studio. I just feel that other carrers are probably better suited for the OP. Being in the video game industry is like being a rockstar. Every kid dreams of it, very few actually get it.

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: What should be my profession? - July 4th 2011, 06:53 AM

I'm only going to address the interests you mentioned that I either study at university or have friends who study it at university.

First, video games. You need not know much math as there's more than being a programmer, after all, the games need to be designed and this involves art, creative writing and paranormal (depending on the genre of the game).

Second, people. The most obvious fields would be psychology, history, sociology/criminology, anthropology, politics, public relations or human resources (last 2 aren't actual fields of study). You can implement every other interest you mentioned into these fields.

Third, and the one I study, diseases. In biology, you learn of the basic concepts but there is so much new information, you'll love it if you like changing things. Many of the biology courses I'm in don't use a textbook or if they do, the professor also uses outside scientific articles because the fields are changing so rapidly. I mainly study pharmacology, neurobiology and various diseases (many of which are infectious, rare/unusual and fairly severe). In these fields, there are so many changes as well as questions that don't have answers and answers that are changed.

However, this is a heavy science field, not very heavy in math though, as you have to understand how different levels of an organism function together and if a component is malfunctional, you have to be able to think what are some of the possible consequences. You also need to have a very good memory along with critical thinking. Below is a set of symptoms all caused by 1 source and may die within 8-9 hours unless treatment is given:
headache, vomit, constriction of pupils (even if in a dark area they will still constrict which is very unusual and rare), cry, sweat, become very thirsty, immense urine output, diarrhea, gradually increasing airway constriction causing shortness of breath, induce hypothermia, extreme decrease in heart rate and have convulsions. Death would occur due to the extreme decrease in heart rate and increasing shortness of breath. Interestingly, all of these symptoms can be alleviated by one specific medication in usually under 30 minutes.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread