TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Tattoos and Piercings This forum is to ask questions and discuss tattoos, piercings and other aesthetic body modifications.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
She.Smiles Offline
Butterfly, Fly.
Average Joe

Name: Kori

Points: 9,857, Level: 14 Points: 9,857, Level: 14 Points: 9,857, Level: 14

Tattoo Artist? - July 30th 2011, 06:01 AM

So guys, I love art, and I have always thought that art would get me no where if I made a career out of it, but I have been thinking.. & after a bit I realize I want to become a tattoo artist.
But I don't know what to do to become this, college? What?
Anything you can tell me will help, I am going to be a senior in highschool by the way.
Help me out, thanks in advance. (:

Join my Hope Is Real page.
https://twitter.com/HopeIsRealxX
There is hope. Remember that. This page is to share your stories of hope or share your stories of struggle and let others give you hope. Get advice, comfort, or just be inspired
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21

Re: Tattoo Artist? - July 30th 2011, 01:08 PM

My boyfriend used to tattoo, and no, he didn't go to college for it. He worked as an apprentice at a tattoo shop.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
BBECK DeChamp Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,049, Level: 13 Points: 8,049, Level: 13 Points: 8,049, Level: 13

Re: Tattoo Artist? - July 30th 2011, 01:52 PM

Just like Lissa said you'll have to do an apprenticeship. Just go around to different tattoo shops and ask them about it.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Points: 23,828, Level: 22 Points: 23,828, Level: 22 Points: 23,828, Level: 22

Re: Tattoo Artist? - July 30th 2011, 02:32 PM

First off, I'd like to tell you how cool I think this is.

While I'm not incredibly familiar with tattooing as a practise, I would suggest you start off by speaking to a good tattoo artist. They may be helpful in suggesting where you can study, what you can expect, and answer any other questions you may have. Good luck!

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Re: Tattoo Artist? - July 30th 2011, 02:42 PM

Hey there,

While you probably could get into the business by doing an apprenticeship it's always good to have extra qualifications if you ever change your mind about the career so I'm going to suggest going to college and perhaps do a course such as art. That way it helps with becoming a tattoo artist but it can also open many others doors if you ever change your mind about it.

Take care and I hope this helps
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Points: 18,923, Level: 19 Points: 18,923, Level: 19 Points: 18,923, Level: 19

Re: Tattoo Artist? - July 30th 2011, 07:01 PM

Hey,

Most of the people I know who are interested in tattoo art begin by doing an apprenticeship. They started off making cups of tea for the tattooists, but you've gotta start somewhere Like Cara says, there's no harm in having other qualifications. I think you'd probably enjoy an art course at college, and once you've completed that, you can try for an apprenticeship. Good luck!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
thefirstlady Offline
Average Joe

Name: Morgan

Points: 9,423, Level: 14 Points: 9,423, Level: 14 Points: 9,423, Level: 14

Re: Tattoo Artist? - July 30th 2011, 08:19 PM

Like everyone else said apprenticeship is the way to go. It might take a while to find someone to take you on, but eventually you will. It took me 2 years of waiting and dealing with BS to finally get into a good, well run shop and start mine. All I have to say is don't give up and keep practicing different styles and keep getting better.

I also suggest taking a look at some tattoo artist's work and looking at their line work, shading, color work, anything you can. Just study their work and practice (line work especially). Some good people to check out that are world renowned: my buddy Halo Jankowski, Mike DeVries, Jeff Gogue (my favorite), Tim Hendricks (amazing work!), Joe Capobianco, Bob Tyrrell (amazing black and grey tattoo artist), and there's many more. But these guys are just a few of the best IMO. Any other questions feel free to ask!
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
tasha555666 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Tasha

Points: 8,898, Level: 13 Points: 8,898, Level: 13 Points: 8,898, Level: 13

Re: Tattoo Artist? - July 30th 2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmileFell View Post
So guys, I love art, and I have always thought that art would get me no where if I made a career out of it, but I have been thinking.. & after a bit I realize I want to become a tattoo artist.
But I don't know what to do to become this, college? What?
Anything you can tell me will help, I am going to be a senior in highschool by the way.
Help me out, thanks in advance. (:

I've tried this myself,i spent 3 years doing art course in college and sold paintings but also wanted to stray and try other types of art..
Basically you wont get paid for being an apprentice in a tattoo shop because you'll be learning their trade,you'll spend ages sitting in the shop watching them tattoo and helping with general duties,which includes cleaning.
I'd say do research,you must know at least some details about the whole history and the parts of the gun ect,visit local "good" tattoos and ask if they take apprentices on..(I had an offer to work in a shop without looking,long story) But they'll ask to see your art work so get a folder made up with pictures of art and drawings you've done.
It takes years to practice ect,i've stopped doing it,lost interested and i've worked aboard and going back out to live hence the career change.
Mine told me to get a gun ect and start practicing on fruit and fake skin,i've done some on myself,mother,and both sisters i never went further and i will be honest it will take years..Good luck..
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21

Re: Tattoo Artist? - July 31st 2011, 12:11 AM

What you guys are describing isn't really what my boyfriend went through with his apprenticeship.. he didn't really have to do bitchwork and cleaning. He was just taught how to do it, practiced on things like oranges or grapefruit (idr what he said) and things like that.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
thefirstlady Offline
Average Joe

Name: Morgan

Points: 9,423, Level: 14 Points: 9,423, Level: 14 Points: 9,423, Level: 14

Re: Tattoo Artist? - July 31st 2011, 12:35 AM

Some apprenticeships are like that, but all the tattoo artists I know, along with myself do bitch work. It's sort of a right of passage. We clean, we take trash out, we do everything. Sure they teach us and we tattoo on grapefruits, but there's a lot of work we do around the shop as a way to help pay off the apprenticeship. Also learn the parts of the tattoo machine, learn about the different types of lining needles, shading needles, power sources, etc. There's a lot to learn and it does take time. You never stop learning!
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 14,800, Level: 17 Points: 14,800, Level: 17 Points: 14,800, Level: 17

Re: Tattoo Artist? - July 31st 2011, 09:28 AM

I'm not sure about the qualifications or if you even need to go get some sort of certification in order to practice this, but what my friend did (and pretty much what any logical person wanting to become good at this would do) is ask around at different tattoo parlors for an opportunity in apprenticing an already established artist. What some people even do is offer to put in some work in exchange for lessons. If I were aspiring to become a tattoo artist, I would definitely do what some people above said and try to learn from the best. I assume there could be college classes (and some might be useful) but in my opinion, learning at the job, and apprenticing would be a better way to go.. Good luck! Carpe Diem.

PS. You should look into whether you need some kind of qualification/license in order to do this. You can ask an artist if/when you go talk to one!

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar
Closed Thread