TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Unhappy Sophomore with Freshman classes... - August 19th 2011, 11:22 PM

I'm just really upset and I feel so stupid, everyone keeps telling me how smart I am but then why do I have freshman classes it isn't fair. Last year I was bullied out of public school and into a charter school that was based online but you had to go to the actual building once a week. And there they did things different. They said their math was harder and they made me take pre-algebra in 9th grade even though I did in 8th and back at the public school I was doing algebra. But they still put me in pre-algebra and I never did a science class either. And now I have to do freshman science and math, not even advanced for freshman, no it's intermediate for them. I feel so stupid. It's not fair! I mean the school system is screwing me over and have been for 5 years! In 5th grade I was in advanced math and I got low grades for turning in work late because it was missing, but what the teacher didn't mention was that it was because she would give us like 10 easy problems do in a week and she wouldn't let me turn it in early so I would always lose it. That got me put in intermediate in 6th grade. And then no matter what they wouldn't ever let me take the test to see if I could get in advanced math after that. My 6th grade teacher snuck me a test but they didn't even look at it because I was an intermediate math students. Then in 9th grade they put me even lower saying their classes were harder than most and they weren't so it's not fair. I'm in lower classes than I ever should have been.

And it's too late, there's nothing I could do, I had to make my schedule today because I enrolled late, and school starts this Monday. The counselor even said that I had to but it's just not fair. I thought school was supposed to help you reach full potential. But all they're doing is pushing me further and further back... It just isn't fair!

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
yoloyoloyolo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: yo

Re: Sophomore with Freshman classes... - August 21st 2011, 07:53 AM

I have no idea how the freshman classes, but here's something that my dad once told me (paraphrased, I don't remember the actual conversation).

"Sometimes the system screws you over. There are people out there who are higher up than you who have more say over what goes on than you do. School isn't fair, work isn't fair, life isn't fair. But you can stick it to them. Work your ass off. Do well. When people expect small things from you, blow them out of the water. People will always screw you over, whether it's on purpose or not, but as long as you do your best, how can you be disappointed with yourself? And if you're happy with the work your doing, despite what other people do to you, can you really be upset?"

I don't know if that helps you at all. I suggest talking to a counsellor about your options, but if you're stuck where you are... Just do your best. If you do your best, you can't be disappointed.

Follow on Twitter @Thomas_TGT

TUMBLR: http://thomasdlesnick.tumblr.com
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/thomas.lesnick

I play in a new band called "The Gentlemen Thieves"
www.thegentlementhieves.com

YouTube: http://youtube.com/user/drumminggod91

"Let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic, and we will change the world." - Jack Layton

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Sophomore with Freshman classes... - August 21st 2011, 11:58 AM

Hey lovely.
I'm not 100% on how the american system works over there, but I'm guessing you have end of year tests and stuff to see how you're doing. Keep working hard. Grasp everything and get top grades. They'll have no choice but to move you up next year.

I would keep complaining to your teacher that the work is too easy. If that's the case of course. If nothing gets done about it, talk to your parents/carers. Get them to put pressure on the school. That should get things moving.

The one thing any school hates, is parental dissatisfaction. It gets things done pretty quickly, let me tell you.

I understand you're frustrated, and I can't imagine being put in your position.

Just try and persevere with it for now and hopefully things will get better <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Re: Sophomore with Freshman classes... - August 22nd 2011, 02:37 AM

I've decided since it was my school that I attended last year (different high school than I'm going to this year), that screwed me over, we're going to complain to the School Board because what they did was not right. They knew I took Pre-Algebra the year before and was set to do Algebra that year yet they stuck me in Pre-Algebra again, and then even coming in a month late I finished a month early.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Sophomore with Freshman classes... - August 22nd 2011, 11:08 AM

Good luck dear!
It's about time you stood up and made your voice heard <3

Closed Thread