TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Previous job ruining my chances? - September 8th 2011, 05:45 PM

I worked for a privately owned telemarketing company from January until October of last year. It was fun while it lasted, however, I ended on bad terms with the supervisors/managers. I had called off sick the day before I resigned, and though I went to the doctor to confirm what I already knew, spending more than I should have on a nurse practitioner to tell me I was sick, my supervisors didn't believe that I truly was sick. I got fed up, and left, telling them I had quit.

Fast forward to today: I had an interview at Speedway Superamerica, and for those who don't know what that is, it's a gas station huge in the Midwest region. I thought the interview went well, and I was told I'd here something within two weeks after they completed my background check and checked my references. Well, that interview was last Monday August 29th, and I still haven't heard anything.

I was wondering if my previous job could give me a bad review if Speedway Superamerica had called them? I had heard before that they weren't allowed to say anything bad about previous employees, and I was wondering if anyone could confirm or deny this? I'm getting fed up with not having a job and not having money, since I'm trying to move out with my boyfriend and trying to secure a stable future for myself. I'm tired of having to depend on other people for everything, including finances. I have a huge debt to pay off with my previous bank, owing them nearly $100 that is now at a collection agency, and I can't pay that off since I'm not working and my family and friends have helped me out enough over the past year. On Monday, I'll be contacting Speedway Superamerica, if I don't hear anything by then, but I'm just worried that I might have ruined all chances of getting a new job because of the way I reacted at my previous job.

Also to note, I've been honest with my interviewers about this job. Honesty is very important to me, and I would want them to hear it from me. I can't keep this job off my resume, as it would come up in a work report that I worked for them, and they'd be able to check it anyway. I just want to know what it is I'm doing wrong, and again, if my previous job could give me a bad review to possible new employers?

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Previous job ruining my chances? - September 8th 2011, 06:48 PM

Legally they can't give you a bad review as this could constitute slander or defamation. The worst they can do is simply confirm the dates that you worked there and say nothing else.

I always think it's a good idea to contact potential employers if you don't hear anything, because it shows you are eager and can use your initiative. It's how I've ended up with a couple of jobs in the past.

To summarise, I don't think you should be overly worried.

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Previous job ruining my chances? - September 8th 2011, 07:55 PM

Thanks Jasmine!

I knew I was right about that! I just wanted to make sure since my boyfriend and a friend of ours said the opposite, that they could say bad things about you! However, I wouldn't put it passed these guys if they did actually say something about me.

Monday marks two weeks from my interview date, so when that rolls around, I will contact them and figure out what the deal is.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
Closed Thread