TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Writing a CV and covering letter. Please help! - January 10th 2009, 11:25 AM

I recently passed my Lifeguard qualification and I am now looking for a job. None of the pools in my area have jobs available on their websites but I am being cheeky and Emailing them my CV with a covering letter anyway so they have it on file if a job becomes available.

So I am updating my CV and I am having a bit of trouble.
I don't have any work experience so I am trying to sell my self with my personal qualities but I am finding it hard to think of original things to write.
This is what I have so far.
Quote:
I feel that I am an honest, fair and trustworthy person.
I enjoy working in a team and with other people and I have been a part of many clubs and teams in school.
I find it easy to communicate with people of all ages, sex, race or sexual orientation.
I am a hard and determined worker and I always work to the best of my ability and try to make deadlines on time.
I have received certificates and awards in school for progress, effort, achievement and attendance.
I was a part of the Student Council in my school and we worked together with students and teachers to improve the school and make sure the students enjoy coming to school.
In 2005 I was a member of the skills club in Fazakerley Hospital, it was a 13 week course in which I learnt basic first aid and hygiene, team work, communication skills and it also helped me gain confidence.
I have recently received a platinum award from Liverpool Compact, to achieve this award I had to complete all coursework to the deadline, complete one week of work experience and achieve 100% attendance during year 10 and 11.
To me that all just sounds really childish and common, I am going to take this into school and ask one of my teachers and our careers adviser what they think but that won't be until next week, so any help is appreciated.

I will need to attach a covering letter to my CV and I am unsure what actually goes on a covering letter.
I was thinking of putting in what position I am after, why I want to work there and when I can work.

Then I was thinking of writing about my recent lifeguard qualification and saying how I am qualified to use a spine board and CPR and say what different types of rescues I can do but they were part of the qualification so I could just say I have my NPLQ and then they know I can do CPR and Spine board rescues.
or should I put all of that on to my CV instead of the covering letter?

I also have a reference from my form teacher about me, should I attach that too?

Thanks in advance for any help. This is just all very confusing.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SillyEvee Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: EV

Re: Writing a CV and covering letter. Please help! - January 10th 2009, 11:43 PM

A skills-based CV is definitely the way to go for someone who has no work experience. I actually just finished writing out my own CV. I don't have lifeguarding qualifications, though, so I was mostly applying to bookstores and convenience stores lol. I got hired, too!

Anyway, the skills you included are good ones to have. I'm gonna make a few comments about how you present them, which you can take or leave as you choose.

Quote:
I feel that I am an honest, fair and trustworthy person.
When you say "I feel that" it sort of casts doubt on whether you are or not...like you're not too sure. Just tell them strait out: I am honest and trustworthy. If you could find an example that supports that, even better! (Just like an essay...)

Quote:
I enjoy working in a team and with other people and I have been a part of many clubs and teams in school.
Great! If you can list a few examples here, too, that's probably be good. "I have been a member of the field hockey team, the I Love Lifeguards club and my school's Amnesty International chapter" or whatever is it you do that you think makes you a neat person they'd want to hire.

Quote:
I am a hard and determined worker and I always work to the best of my ability and try to make deadlines on time.
Nitpicky grammar things here. When you say you're a hard and determined worker, it sounds a bit like you're saying that your skin is made of marble, and you're a determined worker. Try "I work hard and perservere when tasks are difficult." Also, few employers care if you're trying to make deadlines. It's whether you make them or not that counts. I'm sure you do try your best, but if you get good results, put "I always work to the best of my ability. I am reliable and make deadlines."

Quote:
I have received certificates and awards in school for progress, effort, achievement and attendance.
Which awards? "I am an honour roll student. I also have recieved recognition for my excellent attendance record and my effort in class. I had the highest improvement in average/GPA in the fall semester of 2008." Or whatever is it you got the awards for.

Quote:
I was a part of the Student Council in my school and we worked together with students and teachers to improve the school and make sure the students enjoy coming to school.
It's great that you were involved in Student government. I think you should keep in on your CV, but it's important to describe how that would translate to your being a good co-worker or lifeguard.

Quote:
In 2005 I was a member of the skills club in Fazakerley Hospital, it was a 13 week course in which I learnt basic first aid and hygiene, team work, communication skills and it also helped me gain confidence.
Wow! This is really applicable for obvious reasons. Nitpicky grammar thing again. You've got a comma-splice. Change that , to a . and that's golden.

Quote:
I have recently received a platinum award from Liverpool Compact, to achieve this award I had to complete all coursework to the deadline, complete one week of work experience and achieve 100% attendance during year 10 and 11.
Same thing as above. The , after Compact and before to should be a . It might help you to say exactly what the platinum award means. (If it's well-known in your area, don't.)

OK, it sorta looks like I tore it apart, but really, it's good! A little polishing and it'll shine!

As for a cover letter, you've got exactly the right idea. Just tell them what job you're interested in and give them a brief explanation of why you'd be good at it. Don't just list your CV in paragraph form. Try to give them a little bit of your personality, too. And don't forget to have someone else read it over! Spell check is a good friend, but it's just a computer, y'know?. A fresh pair of eyes is a wonderful thing.

--EV--
Congrats Canada's Juniors! 5 in a row!
Last Sunday morning, the sunshine felt like rain.
Week before, they all seemed the same.
And oh, I ain't wastin' time no more
Cause time goes by like hurricanes, and faster things.
--The Allman Brothers Band

Things seem impossible until you start to do them.

PM me anytime. I love to talk. :]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Writing a CV and covering letter. Please help! - January 10th 2009, 11:46 PM

I think Ev pointed out everything I was thinking. She just beat me to it!

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
Closed Thread