TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
XSilentxGirlX Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

(Not sure if this fits here) Do the school have to tell your parents if you are 18 (UK) - October 30th 2011, 04:53 AM

Me and my friend were discussing this the other day and we wondering if the school still has to tell your parents stuff you tell them if your 18. I know they usually have to but we didn't know if this applied to you if your are 18 because you are still a student at the school

sorry if this didn't make any sense I'm not very good at putting what I want to put down in writing

Send a message via MSN to XSilentxGirlX  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: (Not sure if this fits here) Do the school have to tell your parents if you are 18 (UK) - October 30th 2011, 06:54 PM

I know you put for UK residents & I don't live in the UK, but I know that in the US, high schools tell parents things if the student is underage like grades or if there's illegal activity. In college, they don't.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
maddy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: maddy

Re: (Not sure if this fits here) Do the school have to tell your parents if you are 18 (UK) - November 13th 2011, 03:39 PM

In my school, the age limit is 16. When you're over that age, it's up to the teacher whether they think it appropriate to tell your parents. ie, self harm etc, if you're over 16 they probably won't tell your parents if you don't want them to

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: (Not sure if this fits here) Do the school have to tell your parents if you are 18 (UK) - November 13th 2011, 06:49 PM

In the U.S. the teachers are mandatory reporters for minors, but once you're a legal adult or above the certain age they probably won't say something unless you tell them to.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: (Not sure if this fits here) Do the school have to tell your parents if you are 18 (UK) - November 15th 2011, 09:29 PM

I think it depends on the seriousness of what you are telling the school and what policies and procedures the school has, I know that when I was at my college when I was 18 (I'm in the UK) and my tutor noticed cuts on my arms, she could have immediately gone and phoned my mother, and told my mum in fact she did the complete opposite and openly in front of the whole class pointed them out and asked me what they were. But it honestly depends on what you are telling them.

I remember in school my mother DID get a few phone calls home regarding my attendance (I bunked a fair bit towards the end), and often she had calls home to do with my behaviour and some of the things I had been saying at school but then in school I was 15.

Then again when I having counselling when I was 18 there's things I told my counsellor which meant that she could tell social services and other people about some of the things I told her (when I did speak of course , I kept very closed up) but she said in order for her to do that she would need my permission to contact other people. I did not give permission for her to do this, so she never told anyone.

Maybe ask your school about what things they do have to tell parents and what things they don't have to tell parents, and ask them to explain the policies on those subjects to you.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: (Not sure if this fits here) Do the school have to tell your parents if you are 18 (UK) - November 15th 2011, 10:22 PM

Like Lydia said it depends on what they find out and also depends on the school.

Like, my sixth form made it up to us to turn up to sixth form and if we went too long without showing up without letting them know a reason they'd just kick you out, no phone call to parents, no second chances etc.

If the school believe you're a danger to yourself or other people then they may call your parents or if it's serious enough they may contact the police instead.

If you ever used illegal substances on the premises then they'd probably skip the parents and go straight to the police instead too.

Closed Thread