TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dopey Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Can't make a decision... - December 8th 2011, 09:47 PM

I'm trying to figure out my choices. I know that I want to end up in some sort of healthcare profession, but I'm just not sure which. Option being doing medicine or nursing or becoming a paramedic. All have their pros and cons. And I'm having a major hard time coming to a conclusion. Anyone want to help me?

Main considerations I've been talking into mind;
-I already have over 20 grand of student debt
-I'm in the TA and thinking going regular, but definitely planning on doing a tour in the next few years
-I'm planning on leaving the country for a couple of years after I've done a tour
-I feel as though I'm getting on a bit and don't have enough time to fit everything in.

Now how these considerations affect my options.
Medicine; A shit load more debt. Worth it in the long run but as it would be my second degree I've been told I'll need the first years tuition up-front (ie I wouldn't be able to get a student loan for it) For the rest of the course the NHS will pay a 1/3 of the fee while I have to cover the other 2/3. Simply money I don't have. I applied to medicine the first time round and didn't get in, so its still probably a dead end anyway, but if I did get in I wouldn't graduate until I'm 30. If a choose this route travel plans would be out the window and I would have to wait at least 7 years before I would be able to mobilise.

Nursing; I'm currently working as a healthcare assistant and have no issues with the job. As a nurse I would be doing basically the same job but with my responsibility, more paperwork etc. And of course I would be trained to deal with meds. I would be able to apply for the 2 year accelerated course and could still apply this year. The NHS would pay my tuition fees. Prospects for nurses are also good in the Army. I would be able to everything I want to do, in the time I want to do it. But I'm just still not sure about the job

Paramedic; 3 year course that I would have to fund myself, but with options of having a paid year out. Some ambulance services also still run limited placements for student paramedics. This is training on the job with a better salary than I'm currently on. But places are VERY limited, so would probably still have to pay. The job would be similar to my role as a CMT in the TA, however the prospects for a paramedic with the regular army is limited
compared to that of a nurse. Part of me thinks I would prefer this job to nursing, but not sure. Nursing definitely gives me more career options.

I've tried talking to people about this but no-one seems to want to give me advice. People at work say nursing, but they are all nurses. My friend says nursing because it means I will be free to go travelling when we are planning on going. Everyone doesn't really have anything helpful to say. My parents just keep telling me to do what ever makes me happy. All those options will make me happy, but which one is the RIGHT one????
When I didn't get into medicine before I rushed into a decision about degree choice and it was a bad one. I don't want to do the same again just because I'm feeling the pressure.

Closed Thread