TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Exam Calmness tips - December 23rd 2011, 09:26 AM

I have this really important exam on Sunday (25 December). And I sometimes panic in exams when there is lack of time or I am not able to do a particular question. I start hyperventilating and I am not able to concentrate and up messing up the paper. So, how do I stay calm in such situations?

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Exam Calmness tips - December 23rd 2011, 10:19 AM

I'm a very relaxed individual in general and my view for most academic tests is even if you screw it up, you can always improve the mark or even re-do it. Each time I read a question, I underline the key details, such as what is the question asking. I then make a few scribbles to the side as the main points I'll use in my answer. If I cannot think of anything at the time, I try to think how something is related to it and begin brainstorming. If that fails, I skip the question and do others. In many academic tests, I find some questions can help answer other questions via background information or linking a concept I didn't previously think of.

If you start hyperventilating and panicking, skip the question or think about certain linkages you know that can help stimulate better ideas. However, when that fails, you can try quickly using a self-hypnosis technique. One of the best ways I find for proper self-hypnosis is to go in a dark room lit by 1-2 candles and simply stare at the flame as it moves. Don't try to stress about what images can be seen in the flame, keep relaxing and continue doing this until you feel very relaxed and possibly fall asleep. Since you do not have the time to do this during the exam, try doing it beforehand then remember the experiences and how relaxed you felt. If flames don't work, then try soft soothing music with or without abstract images or a slow-moving mini disco ball in a dark room (i.e. similar to Snoozalean rooms used in schools for calming autistic children who are upset). When you're panicking during the exam, try to remember how relaxed you felt, the images, and just focus on some part of the room but try not to fall asleep or spend too much time doing this.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Exam Calmness tips - December 23rd 2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
I'm a very relaxed individual in general and my view for most academic tests is even if you screw it up, you can always improve the mark or even re-do it.
It is important because there is no second chance. This is a scholarship test. If I screw it up, I don't get the scholarship. No re-doing.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Exam Calmness tips - December 23rd 2011, 06:16 PM

Shouldn't matter.

Just breathe properly before the exam and tell yourself that you'll do well.

Also, remind yourself that if you panic too much it won't do you any good.

Best of luck.

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Exam Calmness tips - December 23rd 2011, 07:43 PM

Do the easiest questions first. You can come back to the harder ones and once you answer a few to the best of your ability and you feel you've done well on them, you'll be more self-confident so you can tackle the more difficult ones. If possible, eat during the test. This helps me because I don't feel as stressed. Drink water, too. If you really can't remember something then sit back and take a few deep breaths and try to use any thought patterns that could help. If the question's multiple-choice, you have a 1 in whatever chance of getting it right so try not to stress too much about those. Get rid of each wrong answer and go by process of elimination. Listening to music can help some people during tests, though some find it distracting. Don't leave anything blank, even essay questions. You'd be surprised the amount of things you can get marks for. Same goes for any bonus questions--treat them as if they're part of the actual test, even though they don't have to be done. They could make the difference between a pass and a fail once you factor in the rest of the questions you got wrong. This is sort of long, so I'll wrap it up by saying good luck.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Exam Calmness tips - December 23rd 2011, 09:21 PM

Personally, if my mind starts to go crazy or I panic, I close my eyes & take deep breaths until I can think clearly. Beforehand, I also blast music to get me pumped.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Exam Calmness tips - December 24th 2011, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincerely Yours View Post
Personally, if my mind starts to go crazy or I panic, I close my eyes & take deep breaths until I can think clearly. Beforehand, I also blast music to get me pumped.
This is exactly what I do before exams.

Normally when I took an exam I was either stressed about before or during I would close my eyes take some deep breaths and almost look like I'm meditating almost. It calmed me down quiet well and I did better on exams I over stressed about.

Closed Thread