TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Bored, in general. - January 5th 2012, 08:02 PM

I feel very bored with the pace my life is running at currently. It feels as if my life (academic, social, and creative) has been at a near standstill for the past year.

My classes bore me because I'm not challenged by them. I kept a 3.75 - 4.0 GPA all first semester -- the 3.75 only because I got lazy, uninterested in Biology as I was, and even then, it missed being an A by the skin of its teeth. I was always the person helping everyone, sometimes even helping the teachers as they lectured. I know nearly everything about history from the Paleolithic Age up, because I study history a lot in my spare time. I can comprehend Shakespeare, and I'm evidently on a college level or above in reading comprehension. In science or any math class, I basically just have to be shown how to do something or be told about a theory (assuming I didn't have knowledge of it beforehand), and I comprehend it and can immediately put those theories to use. The only thing I'm lacking in is foreign languages.

I also am a very open-minded sort of person, and can calmly debate about many different topics. Anyone who speaks with me finds me a very intelligent person, from just random kids at school to some very Christian people I know who I helped understand a tricky Bible verse -- and being an atheist, I felt rather flattered by it, I have to admit.

Emotionally, I know I'm not on the same level as people who are a decade or so older than me. But academically, I think I might have the potential to be. I feel as if my school is actually holding back my potential to grow rather than helping me grow intellectually. More than anything, I would love to go to a school who's rooms were filled with people who liked to debate about religion and politics as much as I do.

I'm already getting my learner's permit so I can learn to drive. (Yeah, I'm only fifteen). While everyone else in my school is laughing it up over drugs or bawling their eyes out or complaining about something that someone else did to them, I'm already searching for a university that I'd like to go to, and planning to get a job as soon as I turn sixteen.

The problem is, though, I feel like this whole town is holding me back. I mean, my town is one of the poorest towns in one of the poorest states in the US. There are maybe four places to work, and all of those places have had the same people -- or those same people's friends and family -- working there since they first opened up. The rest of the jobs are in a mine that I've heard may be closed at some point in the next decade, and I can't work in the mines after school, anyway. There is also no way to be involved in the community, and the community itself is overridden with drugs, alcohol, and poverty.

I just... I feel like I'm stuck in a rut in my life. It doesn't help at all that a friend of mine is getting to move to Ohio, and I'm completely and utterly jealous of him. Moving to Ohio means opportunity, at least more than I will get in this town.

It's highly upsetting that after all my hard work, I might end up being trapped here, anyway. The longer I stay here, the more trapped and oppressed I feel.

About this time last year, I found myself in this same sort of mood. I shunned all of my friends and secluded myself for three months, working on my writing and burying myself under mounds of homework and extra credit in an attempt to show my mom that I was ready to study more difficult subjects. She saw how good my grades were, and talked to my school about me taking classes after school and possibly moving up a grade. The school's answer? "No, we don't do that here."

Seriously? And there's not even a different high school in the county.

I'm just frustrated. Is there any way I could go around the school and directly through the county board and graduate sooner than normal, so that I can go to college and get on with my life? I only have two years left of school, but I seriously don't think that I should waste two years of my life sitting in a cold classroom learning things that I already know over and over again, when I'm getting grades as good as I do. I mean, c'mon, I could die at any second.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tyr. Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Bored, in general. - January 5th 2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldora View Post
I only have two years left of school, but I seriously don't think that I should waste two years of my life sitting in a cold classroom learning things that I already know over and over again, when I'm getting grades as good as I do. I mean, c'mon, I could die at any second.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win great triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."

You've got a fucking moto attitude. You are correct, it will do you no good to remain in your current rut because you're pretty much only running at 20% efficiency. There's this big gap between what you are doing and what you are capable of doing.

I am not exactly up to date on what 15yo girls enjoy doing with their time - but I can only suggest that you stop rolling at everyone else's pace and start pushing yourself out of your comfort zone. You might excel academically, but you have not mastered everything. I would suggest you start being a little more adventurous. You are stuck where you are for two more years till you graduate, so you could think about spicing things up for two more years?

Ever been hiking in the wild for a couple of days?
Ever taken martial arts classes?
Do you know how to fish?
Have you ever written a small book?
Have you ever completed a carving?
Can you use a rifle?
Do you know how to ride a horse?
Have you ever run a marathon?
Taken cooking classes before?
Volunteered for community service?
Climbed a mountain?
Taken ballroom dancing lessons?
Started a money-making venture?

I know they're not all quite gender or age appropriate, but do you get my point?

- Yogi

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Bored, in general. - January 5th 2012, 10:25 PM

Yeah, haha. I think what you're trying to say is for me to achieve outside of the classroom as well as in it...? Maybe...? Eheh.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tyr. Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Bored, in general. - January 6th 2012, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldora View Post
Yeah, haha. I think what you're trying to say is for me to achieve outside of the classroom as well as in it...? Maybe...? Eheh.
Yeah, in a nutshell that's it.

Just being a high achiever in academics is not good balance in life. You need to balance academics with a social life, sports/fitness, hobbies and all that other stuff. And I'm willing to bet that if you applied the same work ethic to those other areas as you do to your academics, you would come out as a very high achieving, well rounded person.

- Yogi

Closed Thread