TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FriendZoneMayor Offline
My lovelife is the Hokey-Pokey
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Summer/Shawn

If you know me fairly well, let me know what you think... - January 17th 2012, 08:06 AM

I'm considering joining the Navy... Any thoughts? I'll take opinions from everybody, but if you don't know me all that well, it's hard to judge lol.

“I can only hope that they’ll turn that anger and frustration and madness into something positive, so that two, three, four, five hundred will step forward, so the gay doctors will come out, the gay lawyers, the gay judges, gay bankers, gay architects … I hope that every professional gay will say ‘enough’, come forward and tell everybody, wear a sign, let the world know. Maybe that will help.” Harvey Milk, 1978

http://amanoutofyou.tumblr.com

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: If you know me fairly well, let me know what you think... - January 17th 2012, 06:54 PM

If that's what you feel your heart is leaning towards, then I would do it. Nothing wrong with wanting to do something for our country, I think you'd be good for it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: If you know me fairly well, let me know what you think... - January 18th 2012, 12:27 AM

I don't know you either, but I'll give you a general perspective:

I'll [strongly] advise that you do your research and ensure you're fully aware of what you're getting yourself into. The Navy is a huge commitment, in more ways than one. Make sure that the lifestyle you want to have coincides with the potential lifestyle of one who is in the Navy. Does this make sense?

Analyze the goals you have for your future and assess whether or not these goals fit in with the prospect of joining the Navy. Ultimately, the decision is yours and even if every person you speak to advises you to join or not to join the Navy, the decision is ultimately yours. Do what you feel is best for you because, after all, you know yourself better than anybody else does.

SUP BRO.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ignite Offline
See the lightning in your eyes

Jeez, get a life!

Re: If you know me fairly well, let me know what you think... - January 18th 2012, 05:52 AM

Not a big fan of it. They promise you education, but for what price? Your life? Your sanity? Do your research. If it's what you really want to do, go for it, but don't settle because "I don't have good enough grades to go to college." Do it because it's really what you want.

The greatest mistake one can make is being afraid to make one.
Rest in Peace Peter.
  Send a message via MSN to Ignite  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
FriendZoneMayor Offline
My lovelife is the Hokey-Pokey
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Summer/Shawn

Re: If you know me fairly well, let me know what you think... - January 18th 2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee❤ View Post
Not a big fan of it. They promise you education, but for what price? Your life? Your sanity? Do your research. If it's what you really want to do, go for it, but don't settle because "I don't have good enough grades to go to college." Do it because it's really what you want.
You just kinda described my negative views in a nutshell. On the one hand, I'd have a way to pay for my college, and I'd be making a good amount of money. I've looked at the Navy, and I like the looks of it more than the other branches (plus my friend Kyle says that and the marines [which he's a part of] are the two most respected branches and they treat their members the best). On the other hand though, I don't know what I'd do if I got shipped out. I can't fight for something I don't believe in, and I can't guarantee I'd believe in every fight I'm sent to.

“I can only hope that they’ll turn that anger and frustration and madness into something positive, so that two, three, four, five hundred will step forward, so the gay doctors will come out, the gay lawyers, the gay judges, gay bankers, gay architects … I hope that every professional gay will say ‘enough’, come forward and tell everybody, wear a sign, let the world know. Maybe that will help.” Harvey Milk, 1978

http://amanoutofyou.tumblr.com

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: If you know me fairly well, let me know what you think... - January 18th 2012, 03:04 PM

I think it's very respectable, and props to you for even thinking of joining. But take this into prospective:

My best friend is attending a university/academy that is basically for marines. He was born into a family full of marines, and his whole life, the only thing he could see himself doing (and everyone else too) was being a marine. He is having difficulty adjusting to the lifestyle. So that's something to think about like mentioned above. Can you adjust to the lifestyle?

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

Closed Thread