TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Need help deciding something. - February 15th 2012, 04:25 AM

Really badly.

Due to numerous issues that I have with my school and the needless classes I'm forced to go through, my parents have decided to allow me to put this state's early graduation laws to good use, and let me graduate this autumn via homeschool. I was dead set on it on Monday, but I've decided to think it over a bit more. Thus, my parents have allowed me until February 27 to allow me to decide what I'm going to do.

There are numerous plus-sides to this situation, foremost among them being:
  • That I will no longer have to deal with boring classes;
  • That I'll be able to go to work to start earning money for college or perhaps even start college as early as next spring;
  • I'll no longer be as restless as I am in school;
  • I'll be able to pursue my dreams and goals more freely;
  • I won't have to worry about possibly being trapped here;
  • And I'll get to meet new, more mature people who I can get along better with.
The downsides? There are really not as many of them:
  • I won't be able to see my best friend as much, if at all;
  • I'll have to work seriously hard, to even hope to do it, and if I don't pass the necessary exam this fall, I won't be able to be enrolled in a public school again (Mom's orders);
  • On top of losing my boyfriend (he moved), I'll lose all the other friends I have made throughout the course of my two years at this school, and I'll yet again be entirely alone.
I don't know what to do, quite honestly. I could pursue my dreams, or I could stay here. I just need someone who has more experience in these matters than I do to point out more pros and cons that I may have overlooked.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Need help deciding something. - February 15th 2012, 12:25 PM

My opinion would be to stay where you are and continue to work there. If you change it and put on more of a workload that might end up ending bad.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Need help deciding something. - February 16th 2012, 04:44 AM

Keep in mind, when you go to college, chances are your friends will attend other colleges so you won't be able to see them as often. It's something that will happen and as much as you dread it for home-schooling, you'll have to face it for college so if it is that big of a problem, you're going to have trouble at college. While it still is a downside, you shouldn't give it as much weight as you currently gave. Working hard isn't necessarily a downside because if you can pass the difficult exam, it shows you how capable you are. Additionally, the difficulty can serve as a great motivator to succeed, so in my view, it's more of a benefit than a downside because you're not going to learn to think critically if you're given easy work handed to you on a silver platter.

In my view, the downsides would be increased social isolation, which you wouldn't have in college. Although you mentioned you would be in contact with more mature people, I'm assuming there will be far fewer students than in public school so you do not have the leeway of experimenting with who you like. Additionally, since you'd have just the one teacher (I'm guessing on this), if you don't like him/her, you're fucked and will have to make the best of it.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Katie

Re: Need help deciding something. - February 16th 2012, 06:11 PM

The pros seem to outweigh the cons. If it's something you really want, the hard work shouldn't hold you back. Working hard and working while going to school is hard and you will probably have to do both at some time in your life anyway. As mentioned, your friendships will change or be lost when you all go off to college, as much as you don't want that to happen, it's natural. As hard as that may be, it shouldn't be something you use as an excuse not to do something that you really want.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012
Associate LHO October 13, 2012

Closed Thread