TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Alright, I'm gonna go die now. - March 10th 2012, 04:41 PM

I have about a 1/1,000,000th of a chance to go visit a Muslim country in the middle east for an entire year. It's completely government funded (a scholarship!), I'll have a host family, contacts in the country I go to in case of emergency, and I don't even have to worry about learning to speak a foreign language beforehand -- they'll teach me while I'm there. I'll go to Washington, D.C. pre-departure and on my return. I have the grades for it, I love the middle east in general, and I'll learn languages and skills that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to, which will ultimately allow me to not be the history teacher that my everyone wants me to be, but the anthropologist that I've always wanted to be. Not only that, but I can escape the oppression of my mother and little sister and hometown for a whole eight months.

I know I have the ability to get into it. Problem is, I have to have parental permission to fill out the application forms.

My parents are anti-Muslim, big time. My mom has already said no, but it's my dad's ruling that counts in this house, not hers. She said I'd have to ask him. He... I think that he might let me, if I present my case in a reasonable manner, and stress the fact that there's only a very small chance I'd get to go -- only fifty-five are chosen each year, and it would be for the 2013-2014 academic year. Afterward, I'd simply return to my hometown and continue life as it was once before, with the addition of alumni-directed activities such as teaching younger children things about the country I went to. It's a dream come true.

It's a safe, government funded and arranged education program, but I'm afraid they won't let me go. How could I present my case in such a manner that they'd be more likely to let me go? This thought is making me all happy inside.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Robin

Re: Alright, I'm gonna go die now. - March 10th 2012, 06:21 PM

I take it you plan to attend a 4-year university someday to study anthropology? If so, tell your dad that this experience would look GREAT on your university application - and believe me, it would. Minimize the risks and emphasize the benefits, then cross your fingers and hope he'll let you apply. Good luck!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Tyr. Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Alright, I'm gonna go die now. - March 10th 2012, 09:13 PM

What are the reasons your parents don't want you to go?

If they're just being racist, or they think it's a waste of time etc then I don't have anything for you. If they're concerned about your safety, then I might be able to help you out a bit there. Do you know exactly where in the Middle East you will be going?

- Yogi

Last edited by Tyr.; March 10th 2012 at 09:21 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Alright, I'm gonna go die now. - March 10th 2012, 09:57 PM

One of three places: Oman, Egypt, or India.

My father is more sane than my mother when it comes to different religions and things, haha. He's likely to be more concerned for my safety than anything else, but I think if I stress the academic side of things, he would be far more lenient.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Tyr. Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Alright, I'm gonna go die now. - March 10th 2012, 11:17 PM

Oman is certainly good to go.

India is one of those places where you will need to keep your wits about you. Shit does happen over there, everything from occasional terrorism through to petty crime. Not nearly as bad as other countries, but still need to maintain situational awareness and put some thought into your own security.

Egypt is a no go. You don't want to be anywhere near that country right now, irregardless of it's anthropological and historical value.

I will get back to you soon with some more information.

- Yogi

Closed Thread