TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

View Poll Results: What should be my term paper topic?
Self-injury in teenagers 4 30.77%
Animal therapy 1 7.69%
Self-image in teenagers/ young adults 7 53.85%
Other 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Term paper. D: - March 15th 2012, 03:56 PM

I have to come up with a term paper topic for next Saturday's writing class and I have a few ideas. I need something that I'm interested in, relates to me, and that I can easily write about in 5-6 pages. I'll put the options in a poll and then if you come up with something better, let me know below.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Term paper. D: - March 15th 2012, 05:56 PM

I like self injury in teenagers. I've read loads of stuff about it on the net and there is just so much to write about!

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Term paper. D: - March 15th 2012, 06:04 PM

I picked other because none of those topics interest me I would go with something more contraversial like gay rights, banning smoking, upcoming elections etc. people like to read those types of things.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Term paper. D: - March 15th 2012, 06:08 PM

I was thinking of writing about gay rights but it has to be more of a research type paper. So I'm wondering how I would go about that.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Verità Offline
Formerly KeeperOfMysteries
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alice

Re: Term paper. D: - March 15th 2012, 08:45 PM

You could write about the history of gay rights, or gay rights in other countries compared to gay rights in your country. I'm actually writing a research paper for my English class on Same-Sex marriage in Nigeria and how it compares to same-sex couples in the U.S. However, I do really like the potential topic of Self Image in Teenagers/Young Adults.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the [mome raths] outgrabe.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Spellbound Offline
LGRW
I can't get enough

Re: Term paper. D: - March 15th 2012, 08:58 PM

I think all of these are great choices. I chose "self injury in teenagers." Considering the fact that you could touch on all the reasons teenagers self harm, the underlying causes that lead teenagers to self harm, different ways that teenagers self harm (though you should consider whether that might be a triggering topic for you or not) and statistics (how many teenagers self harm, etc.), you will have a lot of material to work with.

Send a message via MSN to Spellbound  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Term paper. D: - March 15th 2012, 09:14 PM

Thank you, ladies.

I'm really torn between self-harm and gay rights, now. Although SH and self-image would be an amazing topic to write about, I'm unsure if I would get triggered or not. With gay rights, there's nothing to be triggered about. I just looked up some things about it and I found that in my state, same-sex marriages are NOT legal but civil unions are. I find it interesting (yet infuriating) and I think it'd be a good topic to write about.

I'm still unsure, though. Any other opinions/ideas are still welcome.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Term paper. D: - March 15th 2012, 11:09 PM

I chose self image because I think this issue ties SOOO much into other common issues, such as SH, EDs, and the development of people's sexualities. I think so many people grow up hating their body because it's not what it's "supposed" to look like, because of the photoshopped crap image that are put in our heads as "normal" and the obesity epidemic making you feel like you have to continue to diet and exercise to avoid being "fat" and creating a fat fear rather than a health want.... It would have a focus in developed nations obviously, as most of the issues you listed, so you'd have to make sure that is clear in your essay as well that these are issues that more happen with developed countries and countries with a large media.

That's just my opinion. Sorry, kinda went off in a tangent there.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
blumemusik♫ Offline
~Savvy?
I've been here a while

Name: Kate

Re: Term paper. D: - March 18th 2012, 12:20 PM

(This is late, sorry :')) I also said self-image, because I think it has the most to write about <3

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Term paper. D: - March 18th 2012, 08:19 PM

There's quite a lot of research on self-harm and self-image in peer-reviewed scientific journals if that's what you wanted. Some of these journals are, Depression and Anxiety, Journal of Affective Disorders (over 5,000 articles), Journal of Adolescent Health (~3,400 articles), Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (~5,100 articles), European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (~1,115 articles), Journal of Personality and Social Psychology (~8,700 articles), etc... . Some journals have become inactive, which is only a concern if you want very recent articles. For example, the journal Depression hasn't had any publications since 1996.

If you want articles from the best of the best of journals, look into various Nature, Science and Lancet journals. I did a quick search for, "depression" and there were ~1,600 articles in Nature so you've got a lot of research to work with.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Term paper. D: - March 18th 2012, 10:17 PM

I think I might do self-image and include self-harm, depression, eating disorders, etc. in the mix because I know a lot of people's problems stem from self-image. So I figured do my top 2 together.

Also, to the most recent poster (my apologies for not knowing your name), thank you for that information. That's definitely a lot to work with.

Closed Thread