TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FlowerKiss Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Joy

Would this major/minor get me anywhere? - March 17th 2012, 02:07 AM

So I have not been happy with my major for a long time which is clinical psychology, it is boring and honestly I barely pass my psychology classes because of my lack of interest. When I get more discouraged with my major I wind up thinking 'it will be better next semester with this awesome class I am taking,' and it never has gotten better and the classes just get worse with time.

I have been toying with the idea to go in another major and minor lately, I thought of becoming a English major with a minor in LGBT studies. When I think about it in my head I am much happier, and more at ease and more excited when I go to class. I am worried though about money. Psychology problems will never go away and me being a therapist would be a safer way to play the career game, and my g/f and I never really had a lot of money and with her being a teacher in the future I understand it is sadly a very under appreciated career financially speaking, and if we stay together that long she would be worried about my contributions to the household and our hopeful future as a family. What do you think? Would this just make me happy as a college student and would I be throwing my career away or is a career out there for me?
  Send a message via AIM to FlowerKiss  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Would this major/minor get me anywhere? - March 17th 2012, 08:16 PM

If you like psychology in general but not clinical psychology, there are other areas of study. I'm finishing my double-major biology and psychology with a minor I don't quite care for but it's done now, although I doubt I'll ever use it. My main focus though is in neuroscience, rehab sciences and physiology, both of which use some psychology. There is an extremely large research area for neuroscience as well as for clinical neuroscience. It doesn't rely on your basic psychology, no Freud, social psych or any of that, it's mostly from a biological perspective and the behaviour assessed can be categorized either in the good ol' DSM or as specific brain-trauma syndromes not in the DSM.

I cant say much about the field for psychotherapy. It's not something I know much about, it's not something I took a single psychology course in, other than basic first-year that never went into any detail and specialized forensic psych.

Neuroscience is a very new area of research and practice since not much was known for a very long time, unlike other bodily organs. Right now I'm doing 2 biomedical research courses, one of which is focusing more in neurophysiology and electrophysiology research (i.e. using the actual lab equipment on specimens, writing papers from interpreting fMRIs/MRIs, etc...).

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
FlowerKiss Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Would this major/minor get me anywhere? - March 17th 2012, 08:40 PM

Yeah I am taking that now and hate it thanks for the info.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Would this major/minor get me anywhere? - March 17th 2012, 08:44 PM

If you really want to be a therapist, but you hate clinical psychology, you could switch to a general psychology minor and then go on to graduate school in counseling. Most programs here will take you with a degree in pretty much anything as long as you take or have taken some psych prerequisites. So, theoretically, if you wanted to change majors you could still become a counselor or a therapist as long as you had certain classes done (which you've probably taken already) and then the minor in LGBT studies would be good for you. If you don't want to do counseling, there are plenty of other areas to go into or you could try to find a career with an English major too.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Would this major/minor get me anywhere? - March 18th 2012, 12:48 AM

Please, please, PLEASE do not become a therapist unless you are truly passionate about the work you would be doing. First of all, the burnout rate for therapists is extremely high - if you are lacking that passion now, then it's only going to get worse from here. You'll have to go on to graduate school, then work as an intern (which you probably won't get paid very well for), then pass the licensing exam, then work hard in order to earn a decent living ($45,000-50,000 is the average) while having to meet continuing education requirements for the rest of your career. Not only would you be doing yourself a disservice by spending all this time pursuing a career that you're not passionate about, but you would be doing your future clients a disservice as well.

With all of that being said, you could integrate psychology and LGBT studies by going into the research field. You could switch majors and use your knowledge of psychology in your future work. You may need to be creative, and you may need to jump around from field to field for a while before you find a satisfying job, but you CAN be successful with a major in English/minor in LGBT studies. If I were you, I would talk to some English and LGBT professors at your school. Get some ideas on what you could do with that major/minor. Do some research. Think about what you might want to do (teach, research, outreach/charity work, leadership/organizational positions, etc.) and contact individuals who have jobs that you find appealing (for example, if you're interested in working with a non-profit organization geared toward assisting individuals in the LGBT community, you could contact the leaders of that non-profit organization and ask them how they got to where they are today).

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Would this major/minor get me anywhere? - March 18th 2012, 03:19 AM

Hmmm....

Joy, you do what you have a natural inclination for. Sadly, there's really little correlation btw'n undergrad courses and real life....it's like reading about 'Chocolate' and actually tasting it. For the first time.

It's a bit unfortunate that people have to make these life long commitments to a profession at a time when they have the absolute least amount of experience to actually make an informed choice. My grandmother always used to say we should be born old, I never really knew what she meant until I was 18 and entered college. I come from a long line of wise people...

A profession is best served when there's some intrinsic appreciation for the craft itself, as well as the lifestyle it affords. There's a bit of fantasy in there, and a bit of your own values (like LGBT)..but there's some reality that will help a lot, too...You have to ask yourself what made you choose psych in the first place, and then spend some time finding some relevant experience to actually compare your fanatsy with reality. So, in your case, that migth mean finding some volunteer (paid would be great, but not required in this case) to actually have a hands on experience of what it's like to be a psychologist (by being around them and actually seeing first hand what they do)... or an English major (find an internship, ,even unpaid!).

The best antidote to ambiguity or ambivalence is fact (or experience). Get some.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
FlowerKiss Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Would this major/minor get me anywhere? - March 19th 2012, 02:10 AM

Well I do spend time around them, I go to therapy and so far it seems like all they do is help me get over my problems and make me take my medication. I feel like I should be the on the sofa and not the chair asking questions about feelings or sanity, and i got into psy because I was doing it really well in high school and than when I got to college I started to not remember anything and yeah I use to want to be a writer.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Would this major/minor get me anywhere? - March 19th 2012, 08:58 AM

Honestly, what do you want to do? English with an LGBT studies sounds really cool to study. But what do you want to do as a career? Do you still want to do therapy? Or do you have another idea for a career?

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
FlowerKiss Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Would this major/minor get me anywhere? - March 19th 2012, 02:16 PM

I don't wanna be a therapist anymore, and that is why I posted this to ask if there is any careers behind this combination of major/minor
Closed Thread