TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Further studying OR getting a job? - March 31st 2012, 06:13 PM

I am near finishing a 3 year course in (Construction) Quantity Surveying, in the UK. This has cost upwards of 6,000 a year, including accommodation.

I've been seriously thinking of going to do a further degree, in Poland. Here are the reasons (ALL of them, and I'll add more when I think of some):

1. It will either be extremely cheap (1,000 a year at the very most), or free altogether... the low prices are connected with some EU regulations.

2. I don't feel like I've gotten enough out of my course here in the UK. I've had problems, and I've bummed around a bit.

3. The course they're offering is very good, I was gonna go for Civil Engineering.

4. I get to live in my mum's house, which is epic. It's huge with a drive way and everything. My mum built in back when this sort of stuff was still cheap over there.

5. Cheap living. Prices over there are still pretty low compared to the UK. I think everyone knows the UK is damn expensive for 90% of things.

6. I don't know what next. Around the age of 18, just before starting my course in the UK, I had a clear vision and was doing very well in many aspects of my life. Things could hardly have fucked up worse and since then I've just been different. I suppose I could have lost my parents too. That would have been the bottom line. I lost my 'drive', I assume it's because of this. I blame my under-achievements over the past 3 years on what happened.

7. I feel like I still need time to "get my shit together". Going for another 4-year course... seems a good way to do that.

Reasons NOT to do it:

1. I think I might be doing it to procrastinate on getting a real job, for whatever reasons.

2. Many things I've read and heard... indicate that degrees are worth very little in most cases now. University has almost become a consumer accessory in the UK, something that everyone wants, but not something that everyone necessarily needs. Ergo supply of graduates has increased and demand has fallen. Which is why I'm beginning to support the price-hike in tuition fees over here. WTF is a degree worth when 50% of the population makes it to university?

3. Reasons 1 + 2 = 3. I might be wasting 4 years on something that won't really benefit me at all.

4. I've got good enough opportunities as it is over here in the UK. I have an option of doing a further 2 year course, which gets me something called "Charted Surveyor" status, AND get paid for it. This isn't just some lucky draw thing either, it's real. This 2 year course alternative, almost 'over-rules' any preceding qualifications you've got in that field... it's that good.

5. Living with my mum. Things could get 'unstable' again. We just don't get along when put together for long periods of time. She wouldn't be around all the time, but maybe half the time at least. It is her house, after all.

6. Managing that beast house, without my mum around, would be difficult. I mean it's huge. The cleaning, oil supplies, gardening, other maintenance... just holy crap. So when my mum's not around things would be hard, and when she would be around, thing's could also be hard. No win/win situation here. This alone could be enough to totally compromise my work if I do that course.

7. I have a very bad name with some local 'individuals'. 1 month of my presence is enough to stirr up shit. I know if I stay there for 4 years, there will definitely be issues. Someone will very likely end up in hospital, or in prison probably. Maybe worse. I don't fucking want the hassle. Part of me has been looking forward to this inevitable confrontation, but largely, I just want to avoid it and mind my own.

Honestly, I don't know if I'm looking for advice. Maybe support. I think I'd appreciate it. Really I've just wanted to write all this stuff down. It's nagging me badly. I never used to be the type to procrastinate on facing the real thing... but that's what I feel like I'd be doing the Civil Engineering course in Poland for. That obviously ain't right... and wouldn't help me feel good about myself.

It's just too big of a decision... and I don't want to screw up things any more.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; March 31st 2012 at 06:24 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Further studying OR getting a job? - April 1st 2012, 01:44 AM

I'm going to respond to bits and pieces to give overall support as well as my opinion. You mentioned that procrastination is not a common habit for you, so why do you think it would be more likely in Poland when pursuing the civil engineering course? You mentioned losing your parents so living in the lap of luxury in your mother's house could stir up some deep memories you had. Additionally, do you feel you would go back to old times by doing whatever stuff that earned you a "bad" reputation? I don't know what you did and frankly I don't care, but do you think certain people would actually do something harmful and hold such a grudge, as I assume you have been living in the UK for quite some time?

In my view, there's no reason why you cannot take the best of both worlds. As you mentioned, becoming a chartered surveyor is prestigious and not something many people get, which by the sounds of it is certainly something that would benefit. It would make you stand apart from many people with a civil engineering degree and university degrees in general. If you find that it is no longer tickling your fancy, then you could head over to Poland and do the courses in civil engineering. I would try to find a friend whom you could stay with in the event living with your mother becomes too much of a hassle. Additionally, by letting more time pass, the individual locals would care less of your presence and would react less drastically.

If your decision to study in Poland is based mostly on saving money, then I would say don't bother as there are too many potential costs. Money matters, so would you get paid more by staying in the UK to be a chartered surveyor or from taking courses in civil engineering? Since your goal is to become a civil engineer, would you be able to do so as a chartered surveyor, or are the two quite different?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Further studying OR getting a job? - April 1st 2012, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
You mentioned losing your parents so living in the lap of luxury in your mother's house could stir up some deep memories you had. Additionally, do you feel you would go back to old times by doing whatever stuff that earned you a "bad" reputation? I don't know what you did and frankly I don't care, but do you think certain people would actually do something harmful and hold such a grudge, as I assume you have been living in the UK for quite some time?
Just to clarify, my parents are perfectly alive and fine.

About the bad reputation. Honestly, all I did was cruise around on my bicycle with some friends. These guys started picking on us, and I didn't take their shit. I might have overstepped the mark in my response, but there were 15 or so of them and 3 of us. A week before that happened I had a similar run-in with another group of 'thugs', but didn't do anything. So that next time it happened I was pissed off as hell.

I've had issues in the UK, but those have almost always been under control. These guys in Poland... I'd say there's a real risk they might even try breaking into the house when I'm around. Yes they hold a grudge. It's especially one guy. He claims it's because I said something about his mum bringing up a piece of shit... yea I did say that. But I know well that the problem really stems from his older brother ending up in prison because of messing my family around before, and he's being released soon I hear. He also claims that his mum choking to death on a piece of bread is because we sent his brother to prison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
Money matters, so would you get paid more by staying in the UK to be a chartered surveyor or from taking courses in civil engineering? Since your goal is to become a civil engineer, would you be able to do so as a chartered surveyor, or are the two quite different?
I don't think it'l make a big difference to my pay in the short term at least, although it might improve my chances of employment. And yeah, I can become a charter surveyor with an engineering degree, because I already have the Quantity surveying degree.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; April 1st 2012 at 03:08 AM.

Closed Thread