TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: J

Unhappy Leaving Cert Exams (Ireland) - January 11th 2009, 07:02 AM

Hi everyone- I hope some of you can help me So i'm doing the Leaving Cert this year, I think its equivelent it is ta A levels in Britain but I'm not sure what it is in America.

So here's some background Info:

I want to go to college next year and I have a few courses I'd like to try in mind. But my problem is the Leaving Cert It begins on the 3rd of June, so I have time to study.... but thats my problem- I dont/cant/wont. I lack motivation I think. That and for some reason I'm lacking in confidence when it comes to my studies. My teachers and friends and family tell me that I will have no problem but I just dont believe them. They dont see what I see when I look into my head....(Thank God!) I'm also afraid that if I do bust my ass, study as hard as I can and i still fail I'll be really upset.... So I think I'm afraid of failure too...

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can overcome this?? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I havent been feeling to great about myself because of it these days. Thanks in advance

J xox

Last edited by Father Dougal Mc Guire; January 11th 2009 at 07:14 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Starlett Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Tal

Re: Leaving Cert Exams (Ireland) - January 19th 2009, 03:21 PM

Hey J, sorry I'm only getting to see this now. I'm from Ireland too and I know how stressful the Leaving Cert can be. I was always told that I would do well etc but it didn't take away my fear of failure, it's impossible for you not to be scared about the exams but it is possible for you to prepare yourself for them. Does your school have mock exams? I'm pretty sure they'd be coming up soon.. have you been putting the work in for them? Or did you have exams at Christmas and how did you think they went?

You've said that you have an idea of a few courses that you would like to do, could you look into these more and let them become your motivation to study? I know it can seem like there's a neverending pile of work to get through but believe me, it is possible! Break your different subjects up into sections and aim to do a certain number of sections each night. Make sure to reward yourself afterwards so that it feels like it is worthwhile. It can be hard to keep your motivation up but as you complete each section you will be able to say that that is another part of your study finished.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you want to talk more about this, it hasn't been that long since I did the Leaving Cert so I really do understand how stressful it can get...

Take care - Tal

Closed Thread