TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sport and Fitness Whether you watch or play a sport, from football to soccer, track and field, and more, discuss all things sports related here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
glennaeichmann Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 233, Level: 2 Points: 233, Level: 2 Points: 233, Level: 2

Is calorie afterburn an actual thing? - September 26th 2022, 12:30 AM

I’m wondering if I should include the calorie afterburn in my diary or not. I ask because idk if it’s just a marketing tool that fitness centers use or if it’s an actual thing. For ex, according to my Hotworx app, [Edited] Shows me how much I have lost working out. My workout and calories post workout or afterburn, calories in an hr just resting doesn’t seem realistic at all. So should I disregard the afterburn calorie count completely?

Last edited by Arabesque- golfing girl.; September 28th 2022 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Sorry can't keep saying how many calories you keep losing.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 109,151, Level: 47 Points: 109,151, Level: 47 Points: 109,151, Level: 47

Re: Is calorie afterburn an actual thing? - September 28th 2022, 10:08 AM

Hello,

When we are using apps for working out, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. You can always try to write down what you have been doing, how you feel after and anything else that comes up because then you will have this with you in a book or journal to help you the next time you would like to workout. It doesn't have to be a big journal, so that you can take it anywhere with you. Always write what you feel comfortable writing and anything that will help you, anything goes. I wish you the best with this.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: Is calorie afterburn an actual thing? - September 28th 2022, 05:29 PM

What you burn off after ending your exercise is significantly less than what you burn off during exercise. It doesn't actually contribute towards the exercise itself, since the heart rate is still up and can take many minutes to get back to resting state — for example, 65 bpm. I also consider it to be a controversial matter; because we're always burning calories whether we're sleeping, sitting, or driving — so the afterburn effect is basically nullfied in my opinion. Additionally, it could trigger other concerning issues as well if you just focus on calories burnt after you stop exercising — or during exercise.
Closed Thread