TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Lifestyle and Hobbies Use this forum to discuss your favourite hobbies and interests.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34

Question Beading/Jewelry - January 7th 2015, 12:27 PM

I don't really have a hobby at the moment other than watching Netflix for long periods of time I want to try beading/jewelry because I know when I was younger I made those intertwined bracelets with string (like 3-4 threads of string) and some really cool looking ones but was weird how it got to be that cool. I ordered a bunch of supplies online and they won't arrive till early next month and right now I want to get some cheap thread, yarn, beads, etc., and practice till my packages arrive.

Do you have any tips or something different I can try for beading/jewelry?

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Outreach and Communications Officer
Resource Editor
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Re: Beading/Jewelry - January 7th 2015, 01:04 PM

Hey!

You could get a bead loom if you haven't already, they're quite cheap on ebay and they're helpful for doing exactly those sorts of bracelets

Pinterest usually has a lot of good advice for crafts and stuff and I really like http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/ too.

Hope this helped
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34

Re: Beading/Jewelry - January 7th 2015, 02:59 PM

Hey Cara,

I'm going to order the bead loom most likely end of this week/early next week.

Thank you for the link and the suggestion for the bead loom

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Outreach and Communications Officer
Resource Editor
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Azure. Offline
Filling My Panties.
I've been here a while

Points: 22,903, Level: 21 Points: 22,903, Level: 21 Points: 22,903, Level: 21

Re: Beading/Jewelry - January 7th 2015, 07:22 PM

1. Watching Netflix for long periods of time is defintiely a hobby.

2. I absolutely love jewelry making! Here are some things that you can try! Some of them may be a little difficult at first, but after practice, the results can be awesome! (I'll bold supplies)

-Embroidery floss bracelets

Embroidery floss is pretty cheap and you don't need a whole lot to get started. There are many websites that show the basics. I would suggest starting out making the "Chinese staircase" design, as that is normally the easiest if you're a beginner. If you're not, I suggest working on the flat kind where you can make patterns like stripes and chevron!

-Wire jewelry

For this you would need more materials. I enjoy making beaded jewelry, so I use flexible beading wire. After you cut your piece of wire, you can attach metal clasp(fastener) to one side using a crimp bead to make a loop in the wire, securing the jewelry clasp so the bracelet is wearable. To flatten the crimp bead, you would need crimping pliers or flat-nosed pliers.

Then you put the beads on. After you're done, you make another loop at the untied end of the bracelet using another crimping bead. Instead of a clasp on this side, you can use a jump ring or other type of fastener. If you search "how to use crimp beads", you could probably find some people who know how to explain that a lot better than I can! You can also search for each bolded word (the supplies needed). I would have linked them for you, but since we are in different areas, stores not accessible to you were the only ones showing up.

This type of jewelry can result in very professional looking results. They're not too difficult to make after you learn how to use the crimp beads and they look great! I've even sold these before!

-Chain bracelets

Metal chains are available at craft stores! I love making bracelets by weaving pretty fabric (ribbons, strips of lace) through the chain. You could also add beads! If you use wire cutters to cut the length you want, you can then use other pliers (I like needle nose for this) to take apart a link in the chain and then attach it to the other end, forming a bracelet.
---

I guess I'll stop here, but I always have jewelry making ideas to share, so I'd definitely love to talk sometime!

vm-pm
♥♥♥
Find your light in a new dawn.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

(#5 (permalink)) Old
CaptainCastle Offline
Should I call you Captain?
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ry

Points: 13,546, Level: 16 Points: 13,546, Level: 16 Points: 13,546, Level: 16

Re: Beading/Jewelry - January 8th 2015, 06:50 PM

As you going to do loom bead weaving you might want to try some off loom bead weaving too. A good stitch to start with is spiral, once you've picked up the basics it's easy and can be changed very simply by using slightly different beads. You may want to use larger beads than it mentions in the tutorial the first time you try, just until you get to grips with it. I've been beading for several years now, so if you get stuck at anytime feel free to PM me. =)

PM/VM me anytime

Joined TH 24/06/05
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

Re: Beading/Jewelry - February 26th 2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNobleEleanor View Post
I don't really have a hobby at the moment other than watching Netflix for long periods of time I want to try beading/jewelry because I know when I was younger I made those intertwined bracelets with string (like 3-4 threads of string) and some really cool looking ones but was weird how it got to be that cool. I ordered a bunch of supplies online and they won't arrive till early next month and right now I want to get some cheap thread, yarn, beads, etc., and practice till my packages arrive.

Do you have any tips or something different I can try for beading/jewelry?

I realise this is an old topic which I expect may be closed, but my twin sister makes the most exquisite jewellery. Sitting beside me she's suggested that you learn how to silver-solder, ie. (she says) "the metallurgy of some carat gold jewellery alloys". Gold soldering though expensive, is a very exacting art, but essential if you are artistic in designing jewellery from scratch. Learn to solder, but learn the technical details of such and any jewellery you later produce will look extremely impressive!

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” - Thomas A. Edison.

Thomas Edison tried over two thousand times to invent the lightbulb.
Closed Thread