TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Travel and Exploring New Sights Whether you're going somewhere for a few days, want to learn about other places in the world, or just want to share your latest Instagram shots, this is the forum for you.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,438, Level: 59 Points: 172,438, Level: 59 Points: 172,438, Level: 59

I may be going on a trip and need tips. - July 3rd 2021, 06:55 PM

One of my online friends was kind enough to say that she would use her airline miles to help me visit her and some of our other friend group in Washington State. That's on the other side of the US from me!

I've never traveled like this before. I was going to go to Georgia via plane, which is on the same coast as I am, but then the pandemic hit and I had to cancel everything.

Fortunately for me, for this trip I would not need a hotel and they said that they would feed me. Obviously if I went out somewhere I would pay, and I'm not going to make them pay for everything for me or anything like that!

One thing I would have to figure out is boarding my pets, which is something I am going to make a separate post about.

I also don't really know the logistics of traveling by plane. I would hopefully pay someone gas money to give me a ride to the airport, but from there I am LOST. I am scared about where I bring my bags when I get to the airport, how to go through TSA, and even how to make sure I am on the right plane, LOL.

With air travel, am I okay to bring medications as long as they are in the original bottle/box with my name on it? Am I okay to bring over the counter medication like Excedrin Migraine? I may or may not need a CPAP machine, and if I do end up getting that, what are the rules with traveling with medical devices, or should I just not use CPAP those days?

Tips for packing? Obviouslyyyy I'll want to bring home souvenirs. But I also don't want a ton of heavy bags to carry, or tons of luggage to pay for.

Other things to be concerned about?

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29

Re: I may be going on a trip and need tips. - July 7th 2021, 04:20 AM

Washington is a gorgeous state to visit! I'd recommend looking at a pet sitter and pricing that out in addition to looking at boarding. But most importantly, read reviews and make sure that you are comfortable with who you are leaving them with them and their qualifications.

It’s recommended you arrive at least two hours before a domestic flight which gives you time to check in (most you can do online), check baggage, go through security, and be by the departure gate. I’ve shown up with less time at some smaller airports and more time depending on traffic and size of airport. It depends on if I’m travelling alone or with friends but for the most part, I prefer to get there earlier. This gives me time to grab something to eat/drink and relax because there have been a few times when I’ve barely made it due to a series of delays getting there or getting through security.

Check with the airline on the regulations on what you're permitted for a carry on and a personal item because they can vary depending on the airline. Also, make sure you weigh your checked bag before getting to the airport and leave space if you're planning on bringing home souvenirs. Depending on where I’m going, I will pack an empty duffle bag in my suitcase and pay for an extra bag for the flight home. This is especially important if I'm going somewhere with really good shopping and deals. Always make sure you label your bags both inside and out and I use tape or something on my handle. I always put whatever I need in my personal item so I can access it easier.

When you go through security, you’ll have to show your ID and boarding pass to the TSA checkpoint. Once you get through the initial part, you’ll have to put your carry-on luggage and shoes/coat/keys/anything else in pockets in a bin that will go through the x-ray machine. You also will need to put any liquids in a bin as well. These have to be under 100mL and be in a clear bag. If anything is flagged, they may do extra screening measures. I’ve had to be patted down or had my hands/bags swabbed but it’s nothing to worry about even though it can be freaky at the time! Once you’re through security, you’ll get to the departure section and you can check your boarding pass to find out what gate you are supposed to be at. There are also large screens that display what gate and whether your flight is on time or delayed. These notifications can also be set up via an app on your phone. The airline employee at the gate will call people up to board via groups which will show on your ticket. You can always ask an employee if you have any questions or need help finding your gate.

Personally, when I travel both internationally and domestically, I will put the prescription bottles in my carry-on bag (enough for the duration of my trip) and then use a pill caddy for my vitamins. If I'm bringing OTC medication, I just throw it in a bag or combine it in a few bottles. I then put all these into one bigger ziplock bag and it goes through the checkpoint in the plastic bins. I've never had any issues with this. I will also put enough of my prescriptions to last me the duration of my vacation in my checked bag in case I lose the ones in my carry on. It should be okay to bring the CPAP machine according to the TSA. It’ll probably have to go through the x-ray machine and be swabbed. It also shouldn’t be counted as part of your carry on because it’s a medical device.

I always chew gum on departure and arrival to prevent the uncomfortable ear popping. There are also special ear plugs that I have used if I’m congested due to allergies. It also depends if there is a layover or anything but for the most part, the checked baggage should go through to your final destination but make sure you have enough time to make your connection. I’ve had a few shorter layovers (i.e 35 minutes) for domestic flights and had to run through the terminal. It is doable but it’s important to book it through the airline on the same itinerary.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,438, Level: 59 Points: 172,438, Level: 59 Points: 172,438, Level: 59

Re: I may be going on a trip and need tips. - August 7th 2021, 03:18 PM

What types of things do people normally bring on trips besides clothes, chargers, meds, travel sized toiletries, in my case I want to bring my switch to play with my friend, a pillow since I wouldn't be at a hotel, my soft blanket because it's a comfort item... What other things do people normally bring?

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,454, Level: 42 Points: 88,454, Level: 42 Points: 88,454, Level: 42

Re: I may be going on a trip and need tips. - August 9th 2021, 07:13 AM

When I travel, I pack the usual stuff like the relevant clothes, shoes, toiletries, medication and any form of entertainment such as books. I try and keep everything to a bare minimum.

Closed Thread