TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   Walking to work? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t125235-walking-work/)

SouthernBelle. October 31st 2013 05:48 PM

Walking to work?

Right now, I'm in need of a car. I'm shelling out around twenty dollars a week for gas money - to my parents and my grandma, who've been ferrying me back and forth. I only work only three miles away from home. I've walked that far alone in the woods on our farm. Heck, I plan on walking 2,000 miles alone in 2015, which is the main reason that I'm working, anyway. People used to walk that far to work all the time. I'm entirely unafraid of walking. Plus, it's practical. I need exercise, I need more of my day taken up by something, it's good for the environment, and I like fresh air when I have a reason to get it.

I'm almost eighteen. I'm 5'10, smart, reasonably strong, I can run the entire distance without stopping (only if I needed to though, 'cause I don't want to get to work sweaty), I know enough not to wear headphones, and I can buy pepper spray. It's a rural route, but there are houses scattered along the the road.

Honestly, I just wanna try it to prove that I can, and to see what it's like. If it works out, it'd be amazingly practical. I'm making a hundred dollars a week, and losing fifty dollars a month on gas money. I don't even begin to know how to go about introducing the possibility to my parents. They're still excruciatingly protective of me. If I was a boy, I know they'd let me; my dad used to walk out to his uncle's (about the same distance) when he was my age. It's a completely different story with me, though, because I'm a girl and evidently girls are weaker and more vulnerable and more stupid. :nosweat:

coolkid98 October 31st 2013 05:59 PM

Re: Walking to work?

Hi there, if you are sensible and safe about it then it shouldn't be a problem. You could write a letter or note to give to your parents if you felt you couldn't actually tell them. You could even suggest you walk the route or talk through the route with them so they are assured that you know the route and will be safe. Hope it goes well, feel free to contact me if you want to talk more about it :)

SouthernBelle. October 31st 2013 06:08 PM

I don't think the letter would be necessary. This post was mostly just me double-checking with the people on the forum, to make sure I'm not totally insane and reckless... I plan on solo hiking in the future, and this would give me more practice at that, too, lol. Thanks. ^_^

coolkid98 October 31st 2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernBelle. (Post 1077139)
I don't think the letter would be necessary. This post was mostly just me double-checking with the people on the forum, to make sure I'm not totally insane and reckless... I plan on solo hiking in the future, and this would give me more practice at that, too, lol. Thanks. ^_^

Your welcome :) Oh ok, your not insane or reckless, good luck with solo hiking in the future then :)

Skeleton October 31st 2013 07:06 PM

I think it's a good idea. It doesn't sound like you're going to be walking a dangerous way and that you know how to be safe about it so I don't see why it would be a bad idea. You should definitely talk to your parents about it and see if they'd be open to the idea of it.

JustACityBoy November 1st 2013 01:09 AM

I was planning on walking to school everyday, which would be an hour, but I've decided to walk for 15 mins then use the bus since I have a free card.
It would burn too much sleep time and I got too lazy.

Also maybe you should invest in a bike, it's more time efficient and it's equally effective for health.

Eternal November 1st 2013 07:46 PM

I also think its a good idea. You should talk to your parents about this, let them know what your route will be, and remind them that you will have your phone on you. I'm sure they will be understanding if you are currently losing half of your paycheck to gas money.

Dream November 5th 2013 08:37 PM

It sounds doable, but you may need to invest in some rain gear. Let your parents know, and they'll probably agree since it can be a pain to have to drive people back and forth. And if you're paying half your paycheck just to be driven such a small distance- that is kind of absurd.

Ral. November 7th 2013 09:51 AM

Hi Anna,

This is certainly doable, but as Dream suggests, you might want to invest into some rain gear, or at the very least something warm. Winter's coming now and the weather can be pretty crazy at times, but other than that, you're almost 18, I believe that you could easily do this. :)

~Jack.