TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Travel and Moving Whether you're going somewhere new for a few days or packing up your bags to relocate permanently, gain insight on various parts of the world from other users who have been there before!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Daily Spending Money for London?? - January 9th 2014, 10:41 PM

So I'm heading to Landaan next week for three days (everybody say woo!!) with a friend. We're staying in her uncle's apartment somewhere outside of London, I'm not sure where - this trip was my Christmas present so she's done all the organising. It's somewhere near caves...??

Anyway, it's been five years since I was in London, and that was on a school trip, but I know it's pretty overpriced. Coming from a hugely overpriced city myself this doesn't scare me but I'm not sure how much spending money I'd need a day. Would 150 euro - about 40 pounds a day - do me for the whole trip, or would I need more...much more?? We probably won't be doing all of the touristy things like the Eye and the Tower, just a few. Just can't wait to hit up Camden Market again and feed my earrings addiction.

Any advice??

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Halcyon Offline
Publications Team Leader

I can't get enough

Name: Haley

Re: Daily Spending Money for London?? - January 12th 2014, 11:18 AM

Hi there,

I would say that 40 pounds a day would be enough (but if you're shopping, you might want to bring more) depending on what you intend to do. Some important things to be aware of:

Public Transport

Public transport in London is expensive, so if you intend to use the underground (tube) or bus, it would be worth getting an Oyster card (available from tube stations). It applies a daily price cap, which means that if you make several journeys in a day, you will only have to pay a certain amount - this works out cheaper than if you were paying by cash each time. At the moment, I think they daily price cap for the tube is £8.40, and for buses it's £4.40. It is cheaper to travel by bus, and you get to see more of London, but it will take longer to get to your destination. If you decide to walk - it is doable, depending on where you want to go - then there are maps on several streets, which provides estimated walking times.

Tube maps and bus routes are easily obtainable from tube stations or tourist information centres.

Eating Out

Eating out can be expensive, but there are some chain restaurants that offer special discounts. For example, at the moment, Zizzi (Italian restaurant) is offering 50% off main courses, but you will need to get a voucher code beforehand. For lunch, if you're happy to grab a sandwich or salad, Pret, Starbucks or other coffee shops are plentiful, and in some places, there are one or two on every street! Alternatively, there are lots of supermarkets around if you prefer to buy groceries and prepare your own food.

Attractions

What attractions will you be interested in seeing? Many London museums and galleries are free, but if you are planning to visit some of the paid attractions, it might work out cheaper to get a London Pass.

I hope that helps. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. Click on the light blue links for further information.

Have a great time in London!

Best wishes,
Haley

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Daily Spending Money for London?? - January 12th 2014, 12:01 PM

I second most of what Haley said.

Provided you wouldn't mind walking from, say, Heuston Station to Stephen's Green (and possibly back ), walking should be sufficient to get around central London. And I would try to walk as much as possible, because public transport is, indeed, very costly. If not, I'd go for the bus over the tube where possible, personally. I'm not sure how far outside London you're staying, but trains can be handy for getting into the city if you're some distance outside Greater London, they're (generally) a lot more efficient than what we're used to.

Forty pounds a day should be enough to survive food-wise, as long as you avoid cafés within attractions and the likes at all costs. In most of London you'll find at least one or two coffee shop chains per street, and restaurants should satisfy your needs as long as you're not looking to go into Supermac's for a €7 Snack Box meal. Curry houses are a must, as are some fish 'n' chip and kebab/pizza places. In an average London suburb, you're always within ten minutes at most of one of these, so have no fear.

A lot of attractions, as mentioned by Haley, are free, but getting a London Pass can be handy for others. Tourist traps are everywhere, and, as long as you're wary of those, you'll be grand.

Hope you enjoy your trip!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
Closed Thread