TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Travel and Moving Whether you're going somewhere new for a few days or packing up your bags to relocate permanently, gain insight on various parts of the world from other users who have been there before!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Brooke
Not a n00b

Name: Brooke

Question Going to Enlgand in 34 days - September 5th 2016, 05:11 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

oh shit only 34 days im still waiting for my passport to arrive i will track it tonight see how its going, im travelling from australia. then got to book tickets, get travel insurance, buy warm clothes, work out how to access my money overseas, make sure i have right paperwork to make border control happy, got to decide whether to detox from weed and alcohol before i go, i know i wont be smoking but being im going for a wedding im sure some alcohol will be involved in the 16 days im there, so many questions, any reccomendations for travel insurance? also may need to look into a travel sim card any ideas? looking at 30kg baggage limit hoping its enough as i will packing a thick jacket or 2, and may be travelling back with duty free alcohol, am i correct that temps will approx range between 1 and 15 degrees in october? whats a good tourist gift shop near heathrow airport? will i be the only one in layers for a wedding in october? are beanies commonly worn i want to try blend in? is there strict cigarette smoking rules about where you can smoke? what are public transport prices like? do i need any vaccinations or should i check with my gp? anything else i need to know? will post any further questions i have where do i start with still everything to do in only 34 days, was hoping to wait to book my tickets till passport arrives cant really do travel insurance untill i have tickets and i have no idea where to start to even ask about accessing my money overseas

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Going to Enlgand in 34 days - September 6th 2016, 12:26 AM

There are laws in the uk as to where you can and can't smoke mostly it's indoors like shopping centres etc and restaurants and pubs and on public transport you can smoke out side in what are called smoking areas most places will allow you to smoke out side you can smoke in public with the exception of places like children's play areas etc

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Brooke
Not a n00b

Re: Going to Enlgand in 34 days - September 6th 2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperingSilence View Post
There are laws in the uk as to where you can and can't smoke mostly it's indoors like shopping centres etc and restaurants and pubs and on public transport you can smoke out side in what are called smoking areas most places will allow you to smoke out side you can smoke in public with the exception of places like children's play areas etc
awesome thank you so pretty much common sense and same laws as here in australia

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Brooke
Not a n00b

Re: Going to Enlgand in 34 days - September 6th 2016, 06:55 AM

passport should be on its way to me if its not already in mail box, will book tickets as soon as i have it although not sure even which flight people to use i thought about just going to a flight centre and booking it through there, they look up the same deals i would find but then can explain the fine print

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Elision Offline
Formerly Pan221
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Going to Enlgand in 34 days - September 6th 2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contaigous-misery View Post
oh shit only 34 days im still waiting for my passport to arrive i will track it tonight see how its going, im travelling from australia. then got to book tickets, get travel insurance, buy warm clothes, work out how to access my money overseas, make sure i have right paperwork to make border control happy, got to decide whether to detox from weed and alcohol before i go, i know i wont be smoking but being im going for a wedding im sure some alcohol will be involved in the 16 days im there, so many questions, any reccomendations for travel insurance? also may need to look into a travel sim card any ideas? looking at 30kg baggage limit hoping its enough as i will packing a thick jacket or 2, and may be travelling back with duty free alcohol, am i correct that temps will approx range between 1 and 15 degrees in october? whats a good tourist gift shop near heathrow airport? will i be the only one in layers for a wedding in october? are beanies commonly worn i want to try blend in? is there strict cigarette smoking rules about where you can smoke? what are public transport prices like? do i need any vaccinations or should i check with my gp? anything else i need to know? will post any further questions i have where do i start with still everything to do in only 34 days, was hoping to wait to book my tickets till passport arrives cant really do travel insurance untill i have tickets and i have no idea where to start to even ask about accessing my money overseas
The average temperature is about 12 degrees in Ocorber, but it can be warmer or colder. This year it's looking to be quite sunny (yay!) but do bring a mini umbrella if possible, it will probably rain at some point. Normally at that time of year you can wear jeans and a jumper, or some thing like that to suit the temperature. There will be shops in Heathrow Airport itself, but more for departures than arrivals. For weddings, everyone normally wears a smart outfit, like a dress, no matter what the weather is, and beanies aren't normally worn. Public transport prices vary, the trains are normally ok if you book well in advance, and buses really depend on the area: in cities they are more expensive but more frequent. If it's somewhere rural then there probably won't be many buses and you're better off getting a taxi. You shouldn't need any vaccinations, we don't have any deathly diseases .

Going to a flight centre is a good idea, they can probably advice you on other stuff like travel insurance as well.

It sounds like an exciting trip, have loads of fun! Please message me if you have any other questions!

Best wishes,
Eve

I am inimitable, I am an original

If you cannot reach me to fly, teach me to sing

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Brooke
Not a n00b

Re: Going to Enlgand in 34 days - September 6th 2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan221 View Post
The average temperature is about 12 degrees in Ocorber, but it can be warmer or colder. This year it's looking to be quite sunny (yay!) but do bring a mini umbrella if possible, it will probably rain at some point. Normally at that time of year you can wear jeans and a jumper, or some thing like that to suit the temperature. There will be shops in Heathrow Airport itself, but more for departures than arrivals. For weddings, everyone normally wears a smart outfit, like a dress, no matter what the weather is, and beanies aren't normally worn. Public transport prices vary, the trains are normally ok if you book well in advance, and buses really depend on the area: in cities they are more expensive but more frequent. If it's somewhere rural then there probably won't be many buses and you're better off getting a taxi. You shouldn't need any vaccinations, we don't have any deathly diseases .

Going to a flight centre is a good idea, they can probably advice you on other stuff like travel insurance as well.

It sounds like an exciting trip, have loads of fun! Please message me if you have any other questions!

Best wishes,
Eve
thank you and awesome spoke to friend today also and have to put some money away for train between wales and hampshire, and will go to flight centre when passport arrives thank you

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Going to Enlgand in 34 days - September 18th 2016, 09:37 PM

If I'm honest at the moment the heather is good so bring shorts and various other hot related clothing. I would also recommend bringing a coupe of jackets and trousers to wear in case it turns cold which it often does. Heathrow Airport are usually quite good they have never caused me any problems with leaving and entering it's one of those airports where you need to be organised because it's a very disorganised airport from my experience if you allow plenty of time I'm sure you will be fine the staff are very helpful and kind. In regards to your question about travel insurance I would defiantly purchase some because you don't want to be taken i'll over seas but that is up to you. It's a nice place to come on holiday the general pubic are usually very friendly and laid back. I hope you enjoy your visit.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Brooke
Not a n00b

Re: Going to Enlgand in 34 days - September 20th 2016, 07:56 AM

thank you yer got my ticket, and travel insurance sorted travel insurance was stressful and still heaps to do need a travel bank card and a travel sim then to make sure i got all the clothes i need, i still have ring somewhere and find out if i bring my medication into the country cause websites says its best to check with the country your travelling too, then also got to print out income statement and bank statement cause i heard that its helpful to get through the border just in case they ask for eveidence to prove you can afford to stay, planned how to stay busy on train just all these things to do, cant think of any other questions at the moment though except maybe average price of cigarettes there for a 30 pack? (im 23 so im legal age)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Going to Enlgand in 34 days - September 21st 2016, 07:15 PM

Hey,

I hope you enjoy England. Bring lots of layers, as sometimes it does get chilly. It's probably going to be much colder than you're used to. Cigarettes are pretty expensive here. Roughly 8 for a packet of 20. You may be better off buying some for your trip at duty free on your way here. Depending on how much you are used to paying.

Enjoy!

Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Brooke
Not a n00b

Re: Going to Enlgand in 34 days - September 22nd 2016, 01:14 AM

awesome yer here smoke prices are crazy cause there hope is by raising prices all the time it will pay for healthcare and make people quit so we pay about the equivalent to 11 pound here for that amount, so about $19 for the cheapest, lol been researching to see if i can take my meds overseas still no clear answer so im just going to make sure i declare it and have a letter from my doctor, but realised i have to take my wheat bags out of my lambie(plush toy) so will stuff him with socks or a beanie, getting a travel sim today and working out my travel bank card, do yous know what your atm fees are? and do you have commonwealth bank atms? i can use it in any atm just guessing it would be cheaper to use the one im with

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Going to Enlgand in 34 days - September 22nd 2016, 02:02 AM

For traveling with medication, make sure your medicines are in the original bottles they came in. Most likely prescription bottles, with your name on them. I know sometimes I'll have travel containers for small amounts of my meds but when traveling make sure they're in the bottle they came in.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Brooke
Not a n00b

Re: Going to Enlgand in 34 days - September 22nd 2016, 05:45 PM

thank you definetly doing that, hmm now just wondering if they will feed me on the plane or if i have to buy food on plane i know i get a soft drink and maltesers lol cause im flying economy with quantas? and if time is going backward like im on the plane at midnight stop at dubai 4 pm dubai time and then 2pm england time does that mean they will do out meals backward like dinner then lunch and then breakfast to match time zone? lol first time out of australia

(#13 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Going to Enlgand in 34 days - September 23rd 2016, 12:02 PM

Hi, so what I think wil happen is that you'll get a meal on the flight to Dubai. I dont know you're time so i wont say which one.
The best option would be to check your ticket. It should mention if you get food. The food will be served according to the timezone you're in. I know when I flew, it was a night flight, and I got the choice, between Dinner or Breakfast. I chose breakfast, cause I wanted to sleep, but check your ticket.

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Brooke
Not a n00b

Re: Going to Enlgand in 34 days - September 24th 2016, 01:11 PM

yer doesnt say at all on my ticket if im fed or not i know i get a free soft drink and some maltesershoping for abit more though not that its abig deal just helpful to save money.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Re: Going to Enlgand in 34 days - September 26th 2016, 10:33 PM

I'm not sure what ATM fees are for international customers. I know most travel agents here offer cards that you can put all your money on, and then you only get charged a small amount when you withdraw your money, so maybe it would be possible to see if there is something similar at home. Or you could look into carrying cash or the majority in cash and only making larger withdrawals if you absolutely have to?

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Brooke
Not a n00b

Re: Going to Enlgand in 34 days - September 27th 2016, 02:44 AM

yer will probably go with the later idea to get money out in lump sums, i know it will cost me using 2gbp for each withdrawal with the travel oney card i got through my bank but i will also have to pay the extra if atm also charges a fee

(#17 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Re: Going to Enlgand in 34 days - September 27th 2016, 06:28 PM

Most ATMs don't charge additional fees, it's only the ones in off licences that usually charge. So use ones on the high street and in banks, they won't charge you extra.

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

Closed Thread